Pick two young Tigers to make a big leap forward in 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick two young Tigers to make a big leap forward in 2024

RANKING THE YOUNG CORES OF ALL 18 AFL CLUBS IN 2024

BY SEN
30 November 2023

Which AFL teams have the best young cores in the league?

Some teams like North Melbourne, Gold Coast and Fremantle have a glut of players 23 and under on their list, while the likes of Geelong, Carlton and Collingwood less so given where they are at in their premiership windows.

We’ve gone through each team’s core of players 23 and under, ranked their top five and then ranked every team from 1 to 18 based on the above.

Our ranking from 1 to 18 of all the young cores listed above. The top fives were weighted heavily in these rankings, though depth 23-and-under was also considered.

NOTE: We are only including players who are 23 as of January 1st, 2024

1. Sydney
2. Gold Coast
3. Port Adelaide
4. Fremantle
5. Collingwood
6. North Melbourne
7. Adelaide
8. Hawthorn
9. St Kilda
10. GWS Giants
11. W. Bulldogs
12. Brisbane
13. Essendon
14. Geelong
15. Melbourne
16. Carlton
17. West Coast.

AFL_Club_banners_-_2022-10-12T153956.739.png

PLAYERS UNDER 24: Jack Ross (23), Rhyan Mansell (23), Jacob Koschitzke (23), Samson Ryan (22), Noah Cumberland (22), Matt Coulthard (22), Thomson Dow (22), Hugo Ralphsmith (22), Jacob Bauer (21), James Trezise (21), Maurice Rioli (21), Tyler Sonsie (20), Sam Banks (20), Josh Gibcus (20), Tom Brown (20), Judson Clarke (20), Steely Green (19), Kaleb Smith (19), Seth Campbell (18), Kane McAuliffe (18) and Liam Fawcett (18)

TOP 5: Josh Gibcus, Jack Ross, Samson Ryan, Judson Clarke, Thomson Dow.

Richmond’s youth stocks are quite hard to decipher.

The success of the club in recent times has somewhat stymied the development of a large chunk of their youngsters which has made it a tricky task in pulling together their top five.

While Noah Balta (who just ticked over 24 in October) finished seventh in the Jack Dyer Medal in 2023, their top best and fairest result of players under the age of 24 was Rhyan Mansell back in 20th spot.

Star Shai Bolton is also outside this list as he’s almost 25.

Jack Ross leads the way from a games perspective with 63. He showed a fair bit last year and is the player from this group that simply has to go to the next level in 2024.

There is a group of players around the 20-22 age bracket who could help the Tigers rebuild on the run, highlighted by Josh Gibcus who is the future of the club. His fellow 2021 draftees Tom Brown, Tyler Sonsie, Sam Banks and Judson Clarke hold the key to any success that comes in the next few years.

The Tigers would love to see the likes of Maurice Rioli Jnr, Thomson Dow, Samson Ryan, Noah Cumberland and Hugo Ralphsmith come on in 2024, while getting more games into shrewd acquisitions Matt Coulthard, Jacob Bauer, James Trezise and off-season recruit Jacob Koschitzke.

It’s a time of change for the Tigers under a new coach in Adem Yze. They have some top-end stars outside of this age scale, but just need plenty of contributions from this emerging group.

League ranking: 18th

- Andrew Slevison

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/11/30/ranking-the-young-cores-of-all-18-afl-clubs-in-2024/
Some of us have been saying exactly this for a while now. Based on what we’ve seen from our youth to date, I don’t see how anyone could rank them much higher.

Unless our youth improve dramatically, there are some really tough times ahead.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm picking Brown & Banks but noting that we have a plethora of halfbacks. If Rioli, Baker & Short get other roles (mid or fwd) then these two lads will slot straight in.

Banksy on the wing is even better.

IF Ooze is prepared to play deserving youth that are in form. If the coach plays it safe and picks guys based on their reputation then both might spend a lot of time in the Magoos.

Banks and Brown for me.
Campbell & Trezise as the surprise packets.

Cumberland will be a flop.

This is why I’m not as down on the list as most , there is some genuine “ potential “ talent on the list …..the 2021 draft are the big keys imho

Reactions: 5 users
We only had one last season in Tylar (not so) Young.

Safe to say this is a big season for many of our young players.
We simply need several of them to take steps towards becoming regular AFL players. That in itself would be a big leap forward.

For the sake of the thread I will go with Sonsie & Trezise.

Reactions: 1 user
We only had one last season in Tylar (not so) Young.

Safe to say this is a big season for many of our young players.
We simply need several of them to take steps towards becoming regular AFL players. That in itself would be a big leap forward.

For the sake of the thread I will go with Sonsie & Trezise.
Taking steps towards becoming regular AFL players is not enough. We need 3-4 of the kids to become objectively “good” AFL players if we are to move up the ladder again.

Brown and Banks are the 2 I am most confident will be, fitness permitting, good AFL players in 2024. Both have the size, confidence and class to make an impact now, and both are too good for VFL.

Cumberland, Sonsie, Gibcus are all guys who could make a real jump this year, but also may not. Gibcus depending on fitness, the other 2 have to prove they are truely AFL class.

Clarke and Ryan i reckon will both continue their improvement, but both will probably spend some time at VFL level.

Reactions: 2 users
RANKING THE YOUNG CORES OF ALL 18 AFL CLUBS IN 2024

BY SEN
30 November 2023

Which AFL teams have the best young cores in the league?

Some teams like North Melbourne, Gold Coast and Fremantle have a glut of players 23 and under on their list, while the likes of Geelong, Carlton and Collingwood less so given where they are at in their premiership windows.

We’ve gone through each team’s core of players 23 and under, ranked their top five and then ranked every team from 1 to 18 based on the above.

Our ranking from 1 to 18 of all the young cores listed above. The top fives were weighted heavily in these rankings, though depth 23-and-under was also considered.

NOTE: We are only including players who are 23 as of January 1st, 2024

1. Sydney
2. Gold Coast
3. Port Adelaide
4. Fremantle
5. Collingwood
6. North Melbourne
7. Adelaide
8. Hawthorn
9. St Kilda
10. GWS Giants
11. W. Bulldogs
12. Brisbane
13. Essendon
14. Geelong
15. Melbourne
16. Carlton
17. West Coast.

AFL_Club_banners_-_2022-10-12T153956.739.png

PLAYERS UNDER 24: Jack Ross (23), Rhyan Mansell (23), Jacob Koschitzke (23), Samson Ryan (22), Noah Cumberland (22), Matt Coulthard (22), Thomson Dow (22), Hugo Ralphsmith (22), Jacob Bauer (21), James Trezise (21), Maurice Rioli (21), Tyler Sonsie (20), Sam Banks (20), Josh Gibcus (20), Tom Brown (20), Judson Clarke (20), Steely Green (19), Kaleb Smith (19), Seth Campbell (18), Kane McAuliffe (18) and Liam Fawcett (18)

TOP 5: Josh Gibcus, Jack Ross, Samson Ryan, Judson Clarke, Thomson Dow.

Richmond’s youth stocks are quite hard to decipher.

The success of the club in recent times has somewhat stymied the development of a large chunk of their youngsters which has made it a tricky task in pulling together their top five.

While Noah Balta (who just ticked over 24 in October) finished seventh in the Jack Dyer Medal in 2023, their top best and fairest result of players under the age of 24 was Rhyan Mansell back in 20th spot.

Star Shai Bolton is also outside this list as he’s almost 25.

Jack Ross leads the way from a games perspective with 63. He showed a fair bit last year and is the player from this group that simply has to go to the next level in 2024.

There is a group of players around the 20-22 age bracket who could help the Tigers rebuild on the run, highlighted by Josh Gibcus who is the future of the club. His fellow 2021 draftees Tom Brown, Tyler Sonsie, Sam Banks and Judson Clarke hold the key to any success that comes in the next few years.

The Tigers would love to see the likes of Maurice Rioli Jnr, Thomson Dow, Samson Ryan, Noah Cumberland and Hugo Ralphsmith come on in 2024, while getting more games into shrewd acquisitions Matt Coulthard, Jacob Bauer, James Trezise and off-season recruit Jacob Koschitzke.

It’s a time of change for the Tigers under a new coach in Adem Yze. They have some top-end stars outside of this age scale, but just need plenty of contributions from this emerging group.

League ranking: 18th

- Andrew Slevison

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/11/30/ranking-the-young-cores-of-all-18-afl-clubs-in-2024/
Interesting.. I went to school with the author, Andrew Slevison… mad Richmond supporter

Interesting.. I went to school with the author, Andrew Slevison… mad Richmond supporter
I think it is fair analysis at this point, as his ranking is more based on exposed form. Our rankings here are based on gut feelings, glimpses at AFL/VFL level and above all wishful thinking at this stage. Hopefully we prove him wrong.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think it's a unfair article. Honestly to date, it's not like we have a heap of young kids who've shown much at all. We think we have some talent there but not much of an impact so far..

That's what happens when you don't have access to the draft's pointy end coupled with AFL targeted rule changes. I like winning flags though so will wear it for a while.

I don't think it's a unfair article. Honestly to date, it's not like we have a heap of young kids who've shown much at all. We think we have some talent there but not much of an impact so far..

That's what happens when you don't have access to the draft's pointy end coupled with AFL targeted rule changes. I like winning flags though so will wear it for a while.
It's an honest appraisal, just look at the JD medal standings, our under 23's are having minimal impact. The article is also balanced and isn't taking gratuitous potshots, there's an acknowledgement that opportunities have been limited and therefore a slight handbrake on some players development. I think this year will provide a bit more clarity now that most of the A listers have called time and players like Sonsie, Brown, Clarke and Banks are afforded a bit more continuity.

It's an honest appraisal, just look at the JD medal standings, our under 23's are having minimal impact. The article is also balanced and isn't taking gratuitous potshots, there's an acknowledgement that opportunities have been limited and therefore a slight handbrake on some players development. I think this year will provide a bit more clarity now that most of the A listers have called time and players like Sonsie, Brown, Clarke and Banks are afforded a bit more continuity.

The Jack Dyer Medal standings are largely influenced by the number of games played. The top 10 played 20 games or more except Broad at 10 on 19 games. We had 36 players play a game in 2023 with the 12 of the kids playing 15 or less with 8 less than 10

We are not going to see the kids in the top 10 until they play 20+ games. Hopefully this starts in 2024

Its pretty hard for kids to show any form when they haven't been selected very often & then only for a game or 2 at a time.
Next season should be the 1st real chance for them get a run of games. Then we'll a have a,more realistic idea of their capabilities.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree. In fact picking 2 is impossible.

I'm going Cumberland and Sonsie as the two most likely to have the most impact.

But Brown, Banks, Bauer, Coulthard all look like they can make an impact.

Trezise, Smith, Campbell as well.

Gibcus can explode at any time too (just as long as the hammy doesn't explode)
i agree on everything there
very excited for the season to start
i hope we get lynch back as well and look out

Almost thinking that Toby Tylar is pretty much one of those set n forget type players after watching him this year, not gunna be much in the way of break out leap forward, just play each week n get the job done.
Obviously would be rapt to watch a large bunch of kids step up n nail themselves into the side. But I'm going for the Cummerbund n Clarkey to be our biggest improvers. With hopefully a freight train of youngsters pushing hard right behind them.