Picks 52 + 70 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Picks 52 + 70

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012
With some healthy discussion already happening about 12 and 33, thought it might be interesting to discuss these later picks too. In what appears to be a pretty even draft pool I think we can expect some decent talent on the board at 52 in particular.

It's obvious what we're lacking - mid depth (particularly speed/spread) and perhaps a mercurial small forward. Depending on how we fare with 12 and 33 I think these later picks will be a good opportunity to plug a few holes in that regard.

Personally I'm hoping we can get one of McLean, Lonie or Smith at 52 with Smith being my number 1 choice. All add a little excitement and creativity to our forward half which we could use. There's a good chance however that we'll see someone unexpected slide, perhaps a Webb, Cavka or Gore (if we didn't already take him at 33) type.

Failing that, another guy who intrigues me is Oleg Markov from North Adelaide. 186cm lithe forward/mid with elite pace and agility, and a decent base of footballing ability. He's gone somewhat under the radar this year due to injury but he's a prototype athlete, just the type I think we could tuck away and develop in the 2s for a few years. He's a similar type to Connor Menadue who I'd love at 33 but don't think will be there - Oleg is a good fall back option. May even be available at 70.

Another guy I really like for 52 and was touted as a top end pick early in the year is Jackson Nelson. He doesn't address our speed or small forward issue but he's basically a Vlastuin clone - could push the great ranga into permanent mid rotations. Neat user, powerful body and gets plenty of it. I think he's slid down the rankings a bit this year because he didn't really develop into a midfielder as expected, but he's one of the better performed medium defenders at TAC level and looks a pretty safe bet to make it in the big time.

Without going into detail, a few other names I'd be happy with are McGrath, Anderson, Bampton, Drummond and Goodyear.

Any other favourites?

Both the boys I picked in the Phantom, Beasley & McGuinness. Beasley has had a super season at TAC level, he's really developed from a dour stopper to creative playmaker. Some big scalps too, Boyd, McCartin & Wright. He's also one of the quickest in the draft class having run a 2.86sec/20m. I would recruit him with a view to playing him higher up the ground, at 190cm he's the perfect height for a midfielder.

McGuinness is the best Tasmanian in the draft class, he's skinny but could well become a Grant Birchall type once he puts on some weight. He duly received recognition earning AA honours and will slide because he's division 2.

Caleb Daniel, have said enough already but he's so hungry to get a shot. He's already hired a sprint coach and will be looking to add some power into his first 3 steps, it's the final piece of the puzzle as far as I'm concerned.

Just on Jaden McGrath, he was perhaps the most impressive against Collingwood reserves outside of Brayshaw. He's been injured so there would be a leap of faith but he presents as a very likely candidate. He's fast & agile, he also relishes the tough stuff.

Rose is another who must be considered, most of what he does is classy and he's already begun his midfield apprenticeship, will probably go in the top 50.

Saad should also be looked at, if we fail to secure pace early then we simply have to grab a state leaguer who's ready to roll. I'd prefer Boekhorst but I suspect we won't get a shot, Saad has been super impressive in the VFL.

Lonie if available at 52 will almost certainly be selected, we've already interviewed him and have been impressed. Vic Country MVP so he has plenty of runs on the board.

Caleb Daniel woulkd be great if he is available. Could be our Puopolo.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/best-vfl-prospects-for-afl-national-draft/story-e6frf3e3-1227125748574?sv=393510e2f7ec78bb0dec3c4d9a51a668

Any of these guys worth a look at?

Smoking Aces said:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/best-vfl-prospects-for-afl-national-draft/story-e6frf3e3-1227125748574?sv=393510e2f7ec78bb0dec3c4d9a51a668

I was really keen on Lambert last year, hope he gets a shot this year. Saad looks to be a better version of Nahas and Nic Newman looks lke a plug and play type who deserves a shot.

bullus_hit said:
I was really keen on Lambert last year, hope he gets a shot this year. Saad looks to be a better version of Nahas and Nic Newman looks lke a plug and play type who deserves a shot.

Michael Hartley would be good KPD depth too.

Really like McGuinness for a late pick too BH. Got some great qualities

Saad and Nick Wynne from our own reserves would be good state league picks. Both could slot straight in.

Like the idea of Caleb Daniel with pick 52, you can't teach talent. Unfortunately you also can't teach height.

Herr_Tiger said:
Castagna + Pittonet

Pittonet recorded some really horrible times at the combine, I see another Andrew Browne project, personally I'd rather invest our energies into Soldo.

Wasn't aware o that, BH, I'd forgotten about Soldo; am still a fan of rookieing or lowerpick-ing a ruckman to develop, rather than giving up a 2nd round pick for one down the track

D85 said:
Like the idea of Caleb Daniel with pick 52, you can't teach talent. Unfortunately you also can't teach height.

Hehe. If he is still there at 52 we should definitely take him. Such is the sanctity of the head in today's game, he is guaranteed three of four frees each time he steps out.

Smoking Aces said:

That Daniel Connors sounds alright.

bullus_hit said:
Both the boys I picked in the Phantom, Beasley & McGuinness. Beasley has had a super season at TAC level, he's really developed from a dour stopper to creative playmaker. Some big scalps too, Boyd, McCartin & Wright. He's also one of the quickest in the draft class having run a 2.86sec/20m. I would recruit him with a view to playing him higher up the ground, at 190cm he's the perfect height for a midfielder.

McGuinness is the best Tasmanian in the draft class, he's skinny but could well become a Grant Birchall type once he puts on some weight. He duly received recognition earning AA honours and will slide because he's division 2.

Caleb Daniel, have said enough already but he's so hungry to get a shot. He's already hired a sprint coach and will be looking to add some power into his first 3 steps, it's the final piece of the puzzle as far as I'm concerned.

Just on Jaden McGrath, he was perhaps the most impressive against Collingwood reserves outside of Brayshaw. He's been injured so there would be a leap of faith but he presents as a very likely candidate. He's fast & agile, he also relishes the tough stuff.

Rose is another who must be considered, most of what he does is classy and he's already begun his midfield apprenticeship, will probably go in the top 50.

Saad should also be looked at, if we fail to secure pace early then we simply have to grab a state leaguer who's ready to roll. I'd prefer Boekhorst but I suspect we won't get a shot, Saad has been super impressive in the VFL.

Lonie if available at 52 will almost certainly be selected, we've already interviewed him and have been impressed. Vic Country MVP so he has plenty of runs on the board.

Caleb reminds me of King in a way. Fighting battles. With King it was skills and Caleb it's height. If you liked King then I don't know how you wouldn't like Caleb. He has it over King in skills and has the fighting mentally of King. Let's see what he can do.

3rd Round
Damien Cavka, Calder Cannons
Jordan Cunico, Gippsland Power
Tim Jones, Western Storm
Michael Mattingly, Corowa-Rutherglen
Oscar McDonald, North Ballarat Rebels
Josh McGuinness, Lauderdale

Late pick / Rookie
Kade Answorth, Oakleigh Chargers
Blaine Boekhurst, Swan Districts
Jye Bolton, Werribee
Billy Evans, Bendigo Pioneers
Jordan Foote, UNSW-Easts
Will Fordham, Sandy Dragons
Josh Glenn, Central Districts
Taylor Grace, Sandy Dragons
Tom Gribble, Werribee
Jared Hardisty, Claremont
Caleb Hislop, Burnie
Jake Johansen, Port Adelaide
Harrison Kol, Geelong Falcons
Adam Marcon, Williamstown
Nick Mellington, Murray Bushrangers
Nick Newman, Frankston
Tom O'Sullivan, Port Melbourne
Matt Panos, Norwood
Zac Richards, Norwood
Tyler Roos, Sandy Dragons
Adam Saad, Coburg
Haiden Schloithe, South Fremantle
Anthony Scott, Old Trinity
Jayden Short, Northern Knights
Sam Switkowski, Northern Knights
Alex Urban, Oakleigh Chargers
Mitch white, Dandy Stingrays
Tom Wilkinson, Sandy Dragons
Brandon Wood, Box Hill Hawks

Why does Brandon Wood keep coming up as a smoky? Now I admit I haven't seen him play but he played all but 4 games in Box Hills reserves and has now gone to Frankston to try and get more firsts footy.

Smoking Aces said:

Not sure that lad O'Sullivan is going to get picked up - 179kg, but only 75cm tall.
:rofl

footballmonk said:
Not sure that lad O'Sullivan is going to get picked up - 179kg, but only 75cm tall.
:rofl
His BMI must be of the chart! Will have trouble with the forceful contact below the knee rule.