Political correctness & other nonsensical rubbish | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Political correctness & other nonsensical rubbish

Condescending word for a Vietnamese person. Probably the most popular word during the Vietnam war after "*smile*" and "*smile*".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dink

I didn't really know that either until I read that story.

Disco08 said:
That's where the problem lies. Public walking past his car don't know that his name is Udink. It's very easy to construe his name, when used on a set of number plates, to mean 'You dink', which is offensive to members of that particular community.

If people 'construe' the word Udink to mean 'you dink'...then they are the people who are thinking in a racist way to begin with.
That is the trouble with much of society...people trying to look deep into something that is quite simple to begin with.
The bloke's name is "Udink".....it has nothing to do with 'dink' and nothing to do with Vietnamese.
It is the people who construe his name to mean something that have the problem here, not Mr. Udink.

Disco08 said:
Isn't dink a common insult to asians in the US?

Yes...."dink"...NOT "Udink"....these are 2 different words.

No *smile*? As someone else said once, your ability to state the absolutely bleeding obvious is second to none.

Liverpool said:
If people 'construe' the word Udink to mean 'you dink'...then they are the people who are thinking in a racist way to begin with.
That is the trouble with much of society...people trying to look deep into something that is quite simple to begin with.
The bloke's name is "Udink".....it has nothing to do with 'dink' and nothing to do with Vietnamese.
It is the people who construe his name to mean something that have the problem here, not Mr. Udink.

Yes...."dink"...NOT "Udink"....these are 2 different words.

How are people walking down the street supposed to know this bloke's name Livers?

Two completely different scenarios I reckon.

If it's his actual surname, he should be able to use it any way he wants. If people are offended, they can report it, but when they find out it's his name, they should get on with their lives. They should take the *smile* out of him for having a dumb name.

Naming a horse offensively in any language is a choice and shouldn't be allowed, here or anywhere else.

Disco08 said:
No sh!t? As someone else said once, your ability to state the absolutely bleeding obvious is second to none.

Well, obviously you are having problems.

The number plate said UDINK.....not DINK.

Disco08 said:
How are people walking down the street supposed to know this bloke's name Livers?

They don't and they don't have to.
The word is Udink....that is his name.
Agree with what Freezer said:

Freezer said:
If it's his actual surname, he should be able to use it any way he wants. If people are offended, they can report it, but when they find out it's his name, they should get on with their lives..

I think if people find the bloke's name offensive, then they have bigger issues than Mr.Udink or Mr.Coon.

You're not familiar with the trend of people using the letter U for the word 'you' or you don't see how that could turn the name Udink into the phrase 'You Dink'? And I'm the one having problems? :cutelaugh

Liverpool said:
They don't and they don't have to.
The word is Udink....that is his name.
Agree with what Freezer said:

Freezer said:
If it's his actual surname, he should be able to use it any way he wants. If people are offended, they can report it, but when they find out it's his name, they should get on with their lives.

You're right, but the problem is many people don't act in this manner when they're offended. What happens when someone misconstrues this number plate to have the racist meaning and becomes aggressive? All this can be avoided by the bloke having normal number plates. No one's asking him to change his name, they're just asking him not to use it in a way that may cause confusion and confrontation.

Disco08 said:
What happens when someone misconstrues this number plate to have the racist meaning and becomes aggressive?

They could say:

"Hey mate, what's up with your number plate? That's not very nice!"

Udink would then say:

"It's my surname - here have a look at my driving licence."

Then the aggressive one would/should say:

"Oh, ok. What a *smile*' stupid name to have, especially on your number plate." :ner

And then Udink:

"*smile* you, Udink!"

And then:

:boxing

:hihi

Disco08 said:
You're not familiar with the trend of people using the letter U for the word 'you' or you don't see how that could turn the name Udink into the phrase 'You Dink'? And I'm the one having problems? :cutelaugh

That may be the trend...but then people would be making an assumption and a mistake in this case, wouldn't they?
Why should Mr.Udink suffer due to other people's assumptions and mistakes?
Like Freezer said...if people think it is offensive, raise it...and then once the facts have been pointed out, then the case should be closed.
For the number plates to be changed just encourages such idiotic perceptions and behaviour from a minority with a built-in persecution complex.
Let's punish REAL racism and offensive behaviour....not the manufactured ones borne in the minds of a pedantic minority.

Disco08 said:
You're right, but the problem is many people don't act in this manner when they're offended. What happens when someone misconstrues this number plate to have the racist meaning and becomes aggressive? All this can be avoided by the bloke having normal number plates. No one's asking him to change his name, they're just asking him not to use it in a way that may cause confusion and confrontation.

Then the people who become aggressive over a number plate are the people with the problem.

Freezer said:
They could say:
"Hey mate, what's up with your number plate? That's not very nice!"
Udink would then say:
"It's my surname - here have a look at my driving licence."
Then the aggressive one would/should say:
"Oh, ok. What a *smile*in' stupid name to have, especially on your number plate." :ner
And then Udink:
"*smile* you, Udink!"
And then:
:boxing
:hihi

:rofl :rofl...not bad Freezer!

Liverpool said:
Then the people who become aggressive over a number plate are the people with the problem.

I reckon yr the one with the problem, Lily. You keep bringing this up and moaning about it.

Liverpool said:
That may be the trend...but then people would be making an assumption and a mistake in this case, wouldn't they?
Why should Mr.Udink suffer due to other people's assumptions and mistakes?

Poor Mr Udink, can't have his personalised number plates. The horror!

Of course people making assumptions are what would cause the problem here, but how many people not from Holland are going to realise that it;s even possible that Udink is a surname?

Liverpool said:

Of course they are, obviously it's because of people that do get aggressive that Mr Udink was asked not to use his name on his number plates. What's worse, not being able to have his plates or being assaulted due to a misunderstanding?

Liverpool said:

evo said:
I thought it was double- income -no -kids.
simple me thought dink was AUSSIE SLANG for giving ya mate a lift on the handlebars of ya push bike.silly me

ssstone said:
simple me thought dink was AUSSIE SLANG for giving ya mate a lift on the handlebars of ya push bike.silly me

:rofl
Exactly.
For people to make complaints about the "Udink" number plates shows who really are the racists in all this...if they are picking this sort of stuff up.

Denounce real racism but looking for racism when it isn't there to begin with makes a mockery of something that can be quite serious.
The people who make the situation worse are the people pandering to such complaints.

Disco08 said:
Of course people making assumptions are what would cause the problem here, but how many people not from Holland are going to realise that it;s even possible that Udink is a surname?

And why would Mr Udink, being of Dutch extraction, think that his surname could be construed and changed to think of his name into a slur against Vietnamese?
The fact that it is his REAL NAME should override any such complaints.

Liverpool said:
And why would Mr Udink, being of Dutch extraction, think that his surname could be construed and changed to think of his name into a slur against Vietnamese?

Completely beside the point, and dodging the question.

Either way, Mr Udink should realise after he's been told that his vanity plates can possibly cause problems for him. Aren't you usually all for immigrants fitting in with the way of life of their new country?

Liverpool said:
The fact that it is his REAL NAME should override any such complaints.

No it shouldn't. The people issuing the plates deemed that his vanity plates, irrespective of their meaning, have the capacity to cause trouble. Avoiding any such trouble should well and truly come before someone's need to have their surname on their number plates.

Liverpool said:
Exactly.
For people to make complaints about the "Udink" number plates shows who really are the racists in all this...if they are picking this sort of stuff up.

Denounce real racism but looking for racism when it isn't there to begin with makes a mockery of something that can be quite serious.
The people who make the situation worse are the people pandering to such complaints.

No one has even said this is a case of racism. You're so full of judgment you can't even see the basic facts of what's happening.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23828540-661,00.html

TRADITIONAL playground games such as kick-to-kick footy, chasey, hopscotch and marbles are being banned in schools across Victoria.

Games using tennis balls and running on school property have been axed and some schools have prohibited footy, cricket, soccer and netball during lunch breaks.

The increasing number of bans on games are because of a fear of injury and subsequent litigation from parents.

But parents groups, education experts and some teachers have hit back, saying play is a vital part of a child's development.

A Sunday Herald Sun survey of schools found:

CARLTON Gardens Primary School has banned cricket bats and removed its monkey bars and climbing equipment.

ST MICHAEL'S Primary School in North Melbourne has banned children playing football and soccer in the schoolyard.

ASCOT Vale West Primary School has banned games deemed "too rough".

ST PETER Chanel Primary School in Deer Park has outlawed tackling in football and soccer to avoid injuries.

Melbourne University researcher Dr June Factor said a primary school banned marbles because of "arguments".

"But for goodness sake how do children learn to resolve arguments if they don't have any?" she said.

Dr Factor said the perception parents would threaten litigation if a child was hurt wasn't based on fact.

"There have been very few such cases in Victoria," she said.

Victorian Principals Association president Fred Ackerman said playgrounds had become more restrictive as parents and teachers had become more anxious and over-protective.

A school not opting for the draconian approach to play is Preston West Primary School.

Principal Mark Ross said play was "part of a child's normal development".

"As long as there is no safety issue, we encourage kids to engage in play," he said.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Education and Early Childhood said: "This is a school-by-school decision and we encourage all students to be active and healthy."

Un-bloody-believable. What next? The banning of footy card dealing in case someone offers a cameron ling card and the kid gets nightmares? ::)
Banning physical activity during lunch times and breaks, way to contribute to obesity epidemic some are saying exists

Legends of 1980 said:
Un-bloody-believable. What next? The banning of footy card dealing in case someone offers a cameron ling card and the kid gets nightmares? ::)
Banning physical activity during lunch times and breaks, way to contribute to obesity epidemic some are saying exists

This is not so much about the outdoor activity, but the equipment and the surfaces kids are playing on.

Reality is parents will sue these days if Little Johnny breaks his leg after falling on the monkey bars, and that money gets paid by us (because most schools are public schools).

There are Australian Standards for play equipment, and if you examine a lot of swings and see-saws etc now you will see they have been redesigned to minimize risks of entrapment and shearing.

There are also recent improvements to the standards for playground surfaces. The standard is to help schools and councils have a better guideline on the appropriate surface to be used to minimize harm if a fall occurs.

Tiger74 said:
This is not so much about the outdoor activity, but the equipment and the surfaces kids are playing on.

Reality is parents will sue these days if Little Johnny breaks his leg after falling on the monkey bars, and that money gets paid by us (because most schools are public schools).

There are Australian Standards for play equipment, and if you examine a lot of swings and see-saws etc now you will see they have been redesigned to minimize risks of entrapment and shearing.

There are also recent improvements to the standards for playground surfaces. The standard is to help schools and councils have a better guideline on the appropriate surface to be used to minimize harm if a fall occurs.

what about having a kick of the footy? hopsctotch? marbles for crying out loud?