Political correctness & other nonsensical rubbish | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Political correctness & other nonsensical rubbish

Liverpool said:
So what?
The school bosses' will do what they like...who cares what Brumby says or if he feels 'unhappy' about it.

The fact that this sort of thing is still happening is good cause for it to be relevant and on this thread dedicated to the political correct nonsense that the majority of us must endure.

Govt can over-ride, because they DO own public schools after all.

Not everything is a leftist conspiracy against you Liv, some peons are just plain stupid.

Tiger74 said:
Govt can over-ride, because they DO own public schools after all.
Not everything is a leftist conspiracy against you Liv, some peons are just plain stupid.

I didn't mention anything about a conspiracy.
But it does show you the insanity out there that people even THOUGHT about banning Christmas carols at a school over ONE student....and it is happening.
The frightening thing is...these people are teaching our future....explains why we have people like SixPack around...can you imagine, a country of Sixpacks? :help
:hihi

Liverpool said:
I didn't mention anything about a conspiracy.
But it does show you the insanity out there that people even THOUGHT about banning Christmas carols at a school over ONE student....and it is happening.
The frightening thing is...these people are teaching our future....explains why we have people like SixPack around...can you imagine, a country of Sixpacks? :help
:hihi

No, it just shows people are idiots. Its the old saying about little people and them getting a little power....

I know some examples are legit and are a concern, but some stuff is just plain silly.

If you want a decent issue for the PC column, how about a Mormon candidate for President of the USA. He meets all the conservative angles that people from the social right support, but they refuse to support him because of his faith. Is it politically incorrect to reject him because of his faith, or is it politically incorrect to consider his faith an issue?

Tiger74 said:
If you want a decent issue for the PC column, how about a Mormon candidate for President of the USA. He meets all the conservative angles that people from the social right support, but they refuse to support him because of his faith. Is it politically incorrect to reject him because of his faith, or is it politically incorrect to consider his faith an issue?

What do you mean 'refuse to support'....?
In a monetary way or just refusing to vote for him in the election?

Liverpool said:
What do you mean 'refuse to support'....?
In a monetary way or just refusing to vote for him in the election?

Both. Christian Right is split right now.

Some are saying supporting Romney is immoral because he is a mormon and they are an evil cult.
Some are saying supporting Gulianni is immoral because he is in favour of gay rights and abortion.
Some are saying supporting McCain is just dumb, because he is too liberal (he also has the Iraq baggage, as he was a big supporter of the invasion).

This is why this hick Huckabee is getting support, because for the first time in ages there is no clear candidate for the Christian Right to throw their money and votes behind. Huckabee is a hick, but as a Baptist minister he sings the right songs for the Christian Right. Problem with Huckabee though is he lacks the popular support to be a serious candidate YET.

Back to the issue though, Romney has the money and the credentials to do well in a Pres campaign, but his own "base" cannot support him because of his beliefs. Some say this is good, because do you want the Mormon church having its hands on Presidential power (something he rejects). Others say this is bad, as he should be judged by his deeds and not his faith.

McCain isn't dumb,he's just too old.

Guiliani is ok I suppose.

Romney and Huckabee are just Christian weirdos.Heavan help us if either of those two ever get the gig

Ron Paul is da man,but he wont get look in.Even his own party hates him.Too honest.

Tiger74 said:
Both. Christian Right is split right now.
Some are saying supporting Romney is immoral because he is a mormon and they are an evil cult.
Some are saying supporting Gulianni is immoral because he is in favour of gay rights and abortion.
Some are saying supporting McCain is just dumb, because he is too liberal (he also has the Iraq baggage, as he was a big supporter of the invasion).
This is why this hick Huckabee is getting support, because for the first time in ages there is no clear candidate for the Christian Right to throw their money and votes behind. Huckabee is a hick, but as a Baptist minister he sings the right songs for the Christian Right. Problem with Huckabee though is he lacks the popular support to be a serious candidate YET.
Back to the issue though, Romney has the money and the credentials to do well in a Pres campaign, but his own "base" cannot support him because of his beliefs. Some say this is good, because do you want the Mormon church having its hands on Presidential power (something he rejects). Others say this is bad, as he should be judged by his deeds and not his faith.

I don't know how this is anything to do with "political correctness"? ???

Whether people support him or not would be the same as if I supported Turnbull over Nelson, or vice versa...it is purely a personal choice and a personal opinion.
It would be the same as me not voting for Keating because he is a Catholic, for example....and maybe being a Catholic might mean his religion would have a bearing on whether we go to a Republic or not....or the same as me not voting for Sheik Hilali for fear of us becoming an Islamic state.

To me, political correctness is when a small minority are catered for over the majority......and usually in a mind-numbingly ridiculous and petty way.
'Little penguins' instead of 'fairy penguins'
'No Christmas Carols'
'Banning ham on hospital menus', etc.

I also added the 'nonsensical rubbish' part of the title, because not every ridiculous decision is politically correct, such as the bloke falling over while evading ticket inspectors, breaking his wrist, and receiving a large $$$ payout.

Liverpool said:
I don't know how this is anything to do with "political correctness"? ???

Whether people support him or not would be the same as if I supported Turnbull over Nelson, or vice versa...it is purely a personal choice and a personal opinion.
It would be the same as me not voting for Keating because he is a Catholic, for example....and maybe being a Catholic might mean his religion would have a bearing on whether we go to a Republic or not....or the same as me not voting for Sheik Hilali for fear of us becoming an Islamic state.

To me, political correctness is when a small minority are catered for over the majority......and usually in a mind-numbingly ridiculous and petty way.
'Little penguins' instead of 'fairy penguins'
'No Christmas Carols'
'Banning ham on hospital menus', etc.

I also added the 'nonsensical rubbish' part of the title, because not every ridiculous decision is politically correct, such as the bloke falling over while evading ticket inspectors, breaking his wrist, and receiving a large $$$ payout.

The reason I raised it here is it is politically correct to exclude this candidate from serious consideration JUST because he is a Mormon. Ironically, its politically correct to discriminate. If he is the best man for the job, why should he be excluded just because he believes God had a chat with Adam Smith who wrote stuff down on gold plates. It sounds stupid I know, but so does coming back from the dead after three days and also parting the Red Sea.

If you worry about being being jibbed on the little stuff, why not the bigger issues too?

Tiger74 said:
The reason I raised it here is it is politically correct to exclude this candidate from serious consideration JUST because he is a Mormon. Ironically, its politically correct to discriminate. If he is the best man for the job, why should he be excluded just because he believes God had a chat with Adam Smith who wrote stuff down on gold plates. It sounds stupid I know, but so does coming back from the dead after three days and also parting the Red Sea.

If you worry about being being jibbed on the little stuff, why not the bigger issues too?

The reason that it is an issue is because these core beliefs are going to have an influence on the way the candidate governs. Christopher Hitchens has been writing a lot about Mitt Romney and querying his role in an organisation that was overtly racist until the late 1970s and whose leader (Mormon prophet) claims divine communication. This certainly seems to be relevant information about someone who desires to lead their country and Mitt Romney has a responsibility to answer his critics in these matters. His recent speech on the matter was self-contradictory and revealed a woeful understanding of US history.

Panthera tigris FC said:
The reason that it is an issue is because these core beliefs are going to have an influence on the way the candidate governs. Christopher Hitchens has been writing a lot about Mitt Romney and querying his role in an organisation that was overtly racist until the late 1970s and whose leader (Mormon prophet) claims divine communication. This certainly seems to be relevant information about someone who desires to lead their country and Mitt Romney has a responsibility to answer his critics in these matters. His recent speech on the matter was self-contradictory and revealed a woeful understanding of US history.

Didn't we used to say the same thing about Catholics and them handing over the reigns of power to the Pope?

Tiger74 said:

Similar to what Panthera said, Tiger74...maybe people are looking at him being a Mormon and 'discriminating' him because of this due to the fact that they think having a mormon running the country might change the direction of the country in a way they do not want it to....?

Like I used earlier....if I was an ALP member (heaven forbid! :help) :hihi .......and Keating was in the running...I might not vote for him because of his Catholicism and the fact that he might turn this country into a Republic, which is a direction I do not want this country to take (yet).
It is nothing personal against the religion as such but Keating leaning that way might not be the way I want the country to lean.

Liverpool said:
Similar to what Panthera said, Tiger74...maybe people are looking at him being a Mormon and 'discriminating' him because of this due to the fact that they think having a mormon running the country might change the direction of the country in a way they do not want it to....?

Like I used earlier....if I was an ALP member (heaven forbid! :help) :hihi .......and Keating was in the running...I might not vote for him because of his Catholicism and the fact that he might turn this country into a Republic, which is a direction I do not want this country to take (yet).
It is nothing personal against the religion as such but Keating leaning that way might not be the way I want the country to lean.

If you look at the US media though there is a big fear campaign about the Mormon Church and its secrets taking over the country. In terms of beliefs, he ticks every box (I so hate that expression btw :)) the Christian Right want, except he is not a Proto (in in worst case scenario - a Catholic). Pat Robinson would rather back the pro-abortion and pro-gay rights guy in Guiliani than back a guy who shares his personal beliefs, but is a Mormon.

Tiger74 said:
If you look at the US media though there is a big fear campaign about the Mormon Church and its secrets taking over the country. In terms of beliefs, he ticks every box (I so hate that expression btw :)) the Christian Right want, except he is not a Proto (in in worst case scenario - a Catholic). Pat Robinson would rather back the pro-abortion and pro-gay rights guy in Guiliani than back a guy who shares his personal beliefs, but is a Mormon.

But they don't share the same beliefs....Mormonism makes claims that are mutually exclusive with other Christian faiths. Their secret underwear is also unique ;).

Personally I think it is a good thing....Mitt Romney in the White House is not something I would want to see.

As for this being something that we had issues with in the past with Catholics, that is clearly true. JFK had to give a speech on that very topic. It is just remarkably frustrating that US politicians have to express some sort of faith to be considered president-worthy. Even Hilary Clinton has become remarkably pious and has been spouting faith-based crap recently.

As someone who does vote in US elections (I am a dual citizen) it is rather depressing.

Panthera tigris FC said:
But they don't share the same beliefs....Mormonism makes claims that are mutually exclusive with other Christian faiths. Their secret underwear is also unique ;).

Personally I think it is a good thing....Mitt Romney in the White House is not something I would want to see.

As for this being something that we had issues with in the past with Catholics, that is clearly true. JFK had to give a speech on that very topic. It is just remarkably frustrating that US politicians have to express some sort of faith to be considered president-worthy. Even Hilary Clinton has become remarkably pious and has been spouting faith-based crap recently.

As someone who does vote in US elections (I am a dual citizen) it is rather depressing.
Is Britney Spears a Mormon?

Panthera tigris FC said:

This is my point though, why are Catholics okay and not Mormons?

Tiger74 said:

From my perspective, I don't think either are 'okay' because of their beliefs....I find them equally as baseless.

I guess the far lower public profile and shorter history of the Mormon faith, as well as some issue with false public perceptions (ie. that mainstream Mormons practice polygamy....that is actually saved for the afterlife these days ;) ) has led to suspicion over Mitt Romney's religion. I, personally, don't like Romney as a presidential candidate because of his ultra-conservative stance on many issues (which could be argued stem from his faith), not because he is a Mormon.

Tiger74 said:

Depends what direction you want the country to take as to whether you think Catholics are o.k or not too... ;)

Liverpool said:
Depends what direction you want the country to take as to whether you think Catholics are o.k or not too... ;)

I know you like taking on minorities Liv, but I don't think even you are up for 12 rounds in the square circle with his Holiness the Pope :hihi He fights dirty you know!

Tiger74 said:
I know you like taking on minorities Liv, but I don't think even you are up for 12 rounds in the square circle with his Holiness the Pope :hihi He fights dirty you know!

I think I'm too old for him Tiger74... :hihi