Polygamy (Split from Christianity thread) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Polygamy (Split from Christianity thread)

1eyedtiger said:
That's cool and I believe the same but I don't think that people should be allowed to advocate changes purely for religious purposes. Politics and religion IMO should be kept far apart. One day someone will want human sacrifice legalised for religious purposes. >:D

Christians have been advocating the following for years:

1) illegality of homosexuality
2) illegality of abortion
3) disallowance of de facto rights
4) tax free status for churches
5) protection from compulsory reporting for priests who hear admissions of a crime under the confessional seal
6) prohibition on alcohol

Christians are allowed to push their agendas for law change, why not Muslims?

Tiger74 said:
Christians have been advocating the following for years:

1) illegality of homosexuality
2) illegality of abortion
3) disallowance of de facto rights
4) tax free status for churches
5) protection from compulsory reporting for priests who hear admissions of a crime under the confessional seal
6) prohibition on alcohol

Christians are allowed to push their agendas for law change, why not Muslims?

They have pursued these to no avail.

Given today's game and in regards to the last point you mentioned, I rest my case that religion and politics don't mix. :veryupset

Liverpool said:
It would be laughable if it wasn't so serious. :-\
I think Disco/Panthera/Tiger74/SuxPack should read the clerics views that polygamy should be allowed to 'protect women' and then visit this webpage to show them what they do to protect their women:

http://www.rawa.org/rules.htm

Polygamy is just the beginning....

I'd like you to point out where I've said I support the reasoning put forward in this particular case, or indeed the people proposing it.

1eyedtiger said:

Given today's game and in regards to the last point you mentioned, I rest my case that religion and politics don't mix. :veryupset

Thats my point, nothing wrong with someone chasing something, because if the majority don't won't it, well it will be to no avail.

On the last point, I definitely get your perspective :mad:

Liverpool said:
It would be laughable if it wasn't so serious. :-\
I think Disco/Panthera/Tiger74/SuxPack should read the clerics views that polygamy should be allowed to 'protect women' and then visit this webpage to show them what they do to protect their women:

http://www.rawa.org/rules.htm

Polygamy is just the beginning....

If you can't argue with the person, play the strawman. Show me one post that advocates polygamy from any of the Disco/Panthera/Tiger74/SuxPack that you listed. No? Well then WTF are you on about?

1eyedtiger said:

You're joking aren't you? Those laws that were mentioned have been legislated and enforced throughout history.

1eyedtiger said:
That's cool and I believe the same but I don't think that people should be allowed to advocate changes purely for religious purposes. Politics and religion IMO should be kept far apart. One day someone will want human sacrifice legalised for religious purposes. >:D

People can advocate for whatever they like. It is up to you and me to argue against them if we disagree.

BTW I agree with your sentiments on church and state. That doesn't mean that they don't have a say.

Panthera tigris FC said:
You're joking aren't you? Those laws that were mentioned have been legislated and enforced throughout history.

Yes, you are right. Those laws have in the past been imposed upon the people without due consideration which is why the majority have been revoked. My view is that if religions wish to dictate how their followers live their lives, then so be it but leave the rest of us out of it.

Having said that, I think religions still have a role to play and should still contribute their view point and offer guidance, as long as it isn't forced upon others.

Tiger74 said:
Liverpool, for about the 20th time on this thread....
I DO NOT SUPPORT POLYGAMY OR CHANGING THE LAW
I support the right however of any Australian citizen to have the right to advocate changes to the law.

Then you agree with me...that's good. :)

Six Pack said:
and I was just curious about yr moral standpoint on this.. I haven't expressed an opinion either way yet.

Yes....you would do well as a backman at Richmond.....indecisive and gutless.
You will quickly bag people who do have the balls to express their opinion but are very strangely quiet when asked to share yours with the rest of the forum.

Disco08 said:
I'd like you to point out where I've said I support the reasoning put forward in this particular case, or indeed the people proposing it.

So do you support polygamy being legalised in this country or not then?
Or do you need another 8 pages to think about it?
No wonder the bloody Christianity thead has been going for hundreds of pages if it takes this long to get a simple opinion out of you lot.... :hihi

Panthera tigris FC said:
If you can't argue with the person, play the strawman. Show me one post that advocates polygamy from any of the Disco/Panthera/Tiger74/SuxPack that you listed. No? Well then WTF are you on about?

Considering you and others bagging my opinion and stance on the issue for the last 8 pages....then I simply assumed that you were against my view that polygamy should remain illegal.
So I think it's about time some of you answered the question yourselves.....do you support it being legalised or not?

Liverpool said:
So do you support polygamy being legalised in this country or not then?
Or do you need another 8 pages to think about it?
No wonder the bloody Christianity thead has been going for hundreds of pages if it takes this long to get a simple opinion out of you lot.... :hihi

All I did was disagree with your assertion that it's only ever right for a man and woman to get married. It really had nothing to do with this current situation. Wasn't that obvious?

FWIW, as long as there were workable guidelines for welfare ensuring people weren't able to rort the system I wouldn't have any problems with it being legalised.

Disco08 said:
All I did was disagree with your assertion that it's only ever right for a man and woman to get married. It really had nothing to do with this current situation. Wasn't that obvious?
FWIW, as long as there were workable guidelines for welfare ensuring people weren't able to rort the system I wouldn't have any problems with it being legalised.

O.k...so I'm against....you are for.

What about everyone else here?

Since you asked so nicely, Lily, here's what I think about it.

Firstly, I am not a big man of marriage full stop. But if it works for others then that's fine; that's their business.

And that's how I feel about polygamy too. If it works, if it's loving and sharing and everyone in the arrangement is happy and fulfilled then its fine.

However, if the role of it all is to reduce or subdue the women and treat them as inferiors or as goods and chattels, then I am against it.

The idea of pleasing God by having multiple wives is a nonsense to me.

Many people who are married or in long term relationships have different partners. Some peoples' relationships are very open by consent.

So as long as those boxes above are ticked and everyone's happy with it, I dont have a problem with polygamy.

O.k...so that's me against polygamy.

Disco, Suxpack, and mopsy in the 'for' legalising polygamy camp

I'd love to have some female posters give us their opinion....?

Be nice Livers. Sixpack doesn't call you Livertool or Liverfool or any other mildly insulting derivitive of Liverpool.

Disco08 said:
Be nice Livers. Sixpack doesn't call you Livertool or Liverfool or any other mildly insulting derivitive of Liverpool.

Ask him where he gets 'Lily' from then? ;)

The name is Liverpool....or Livers.

mopsy fraser said:
i`ve got no problem with polygamy as long as women have the same rights as men have.
One woman ( mines a bewdy) is more than enough for me 8)
How many "bosses" do you want? Bigger question, how many mothers in law? :hihi

Disco08 said:
Lily would be the same as sixy wouldn't it, or am I missing something?

No, that would be 'Livy'....nice try! ;)

I'm sure Sixpack will post on here what he means by calling me 'Lily'.

Anyway...all this is for another thread...this one is about polygamy and I'd love to hear some females on here say what they think about being part of a harem.

willo said:
One woman ( mines a bewdy) is more than enough for me 8)
How many "bosses" do you want? Bigger question, how many mothers in law? :hihi

:hihi :clap