Polygamy (Split from Christianity thread) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Polygamy (Split from Christianity thread)

Actually I think someone else came up with the Lily thing (short for Lily Livered - which he was called during the bet issue a few weeks ago)

Tiger74 said:
Actually I think someone else came up with the Lily thing (short for Lily Livered - which he was called during the bet issue a few weeks ago)

Is that so?
So much for this then:

Disco08 said:
Be nice Livers. Sixpack doesn't call you Livertool or Liverfool or any other mildly insulting derivitive of Liverpool.

Disco,
As I said...I VERY rarely call anyone names on here and I expect the same courtesy back...if not, then expect similar tactics in return. Just don't squeal about it when it comes back in spades... ;)

Back to the thread though...it seems we haven't enough women reading this part of the forum to get a view on this topic from them.

Thought this was an interesting article though:

http://www.snappingturtle.net/jmc/tmblog/archives/005331.html

Liverpool said:
Disco,
As I said...I VERY rarely call anyone names on here and I expect the same courtesy back...if not, then expect similar tactics in return. Just don't squeal about it when it comes back in spades... ;)

Don't be so melodramatic Livers. It's only a forum, not some war you have to win. Did you think of asking sixpack not to call you Lily if it annoyed you so much rather than childishly start calling him names in return?

Two wives?

I have enough trouble coping with one.

:duh

Six Pack said:
it could work the other way though, u might be one of many husbands.

Good.

That could be of great relief.

Six Pack said:
it could work the other way though, u might be one of many husbands.

Now that could be good
In house Golf Partner, Footy Watcher, Share the Lawn Mowing duties
Gees the vote on what to watch on tele could be won for a change

Six Pack said:
Sorry, I thought 'Lily' was in common usage.

You are the only one who has called me that so it isn't 'common' at all.
But that is fine...no issue here, SuxPack! :)

jb03 said:
Sixer hasn't complained about suxpack, has he?

Not that I know of.....only Disco has moaned about it.
Another case of a political correct do-gooder interfering in something that has nothing to do with them, but feels they have to 'protect' something/somebody even though that something/somebody has not asked for their 'protection' to begin with.
Maybe we can add this to the 'political correctness and nonsensical rubbish' thread... :hihi

Michael said:
Now that could be good
In house Golf Partner, Footy Watcher, Share the Lawn Mowing duties
Gees the vote on what to watch on tele could be won for a change

That is a good one actually. :cutelaugh

Liverpool said:
Another case of a political correct do-gooder interfering in something that has nothing to do with them, but feels they have to 'protect' something/somebody even though that something/somebody has not asked for their 'protection' to begin with.
Maybe we can add this to the 'political correctness and nonsensical rubbish' thread... :hihi

More melodrama Livers? You really do get up on your high horse every chance you get don't you?

Disco08 said:
More melodrama Livers? You really do get up on your high horse every chance you get don't you?

Disco,
SixPack didn't complain....I didn't complain.....so if anyone is being melodramatic and interfering, it is yourself.
Quite simply, why don't you mind your own business? Did I call you anything or abuse you?
No.
This thread was going along with the topic at hand until you decided to get on YOUR high-horse and manufacture a moan-session.
Either stick to the topic or get off the thread....and if you have a complaint about the names 'Lily'/'Suxpack' being used, put it on the Feedback thread or press your 'report to moderator' button.

Back to polygamy though...apart from a male having multiple wives for his own gratification...what other advanatges would there be? and would they outweigh the many disadvantages?

Liverpool said:
Back to polygamy though...apart from a male having multiple wives for his own gratification...what other advanatges would there be? and would they outweigh the many disadvantages?

Livers, if that was the reason (gratification) then I would be opposed to polygamy. Likewise with marriage.

Liverpool said:
Disco,
SixPack didn't complain....I didn't complain.....so if anyone is being melodramatic and interfering, it is yourself.
Quite simply, why don't you mind your own business? Did I call you anything or abuse you?
No.
This thread was going along with the topic at hand until you decided to get on YOUR high-horse and manufacture a moan-session.
Either stick to the topic or get off the thread....and if you have a complaint about the names 'Lily'/'Suxpack' being used, put it on the Feedback thread or press your 'report to moderator' button.

If you'd just accepted the request this discussion would never even have started. In fact, even though you didn't accept it it was over until you replied to my request for a second time.

But fair enough, I'm sorry for disrupting you.

Liverpool said:

Allowing consenting adults to spend their lives with the person of their choice isn't a fairly substantial advantage in a society claiming to espouse equality and freedom?

In fact, if you remove religious edict, what exactly are the advantages on monogamy? Certainly it isn't anywhere near as efficient in promoting the species.

Disco08 said:
Allowing consenting adults to spend their lives with the person of their choice isn't a fairly substantial advantage in a society claiming to espouse equality and freedom?

I wouldn't have thought treating women like a harem (or a herd of cows with one male bull) in a society that has supposedly moved forward to a stage where women have more equality, would be such an advantage, to be honest?
I would have thought polygamy was a step backwards.
You only need to look at the cultures and societies where it exists to see that polygamy only flourishes in religions, cultures, or societies that haven't progressed their line of thinking beyond the stone age.

Disco08 said:
In fact, if you remove religious edict, what exactly are the advantages on monogamy? Certainly it isn't anywhere near as efficient in promoting the species.

You don't need to have 4 wives to promote the species...you only have to have sex with 4 women.
That is the difference.

In fact, off the top of my head, monogomy has advantages over polygamy due to there being less tension within a household (women getting jealous with the other 'wives', competing for affection from the 'husband') and also monogomy reduces the chance of sexually transmited diseases .

Liverpool said:
I wouldn't have thought treating women like a harem (or a herd of cows with one male bull) in a society that has supposedly moved forward to a stage where women have more equality, would be such an advantage, to be honest?

Polygamy doesn't necessarily have to exist under these conditions though. I think that's the point you're missing. If two (or more) women want to marry the same man, are fully aware of each other and embrace the situation that's something far different to the way some country's men treat their women.

Liverpool said:
In fact, off the top of my head, monogomy has advantages over polygamy due to there being less tension within a household (women getting jealous with the other 'wives', competing for affection from the 'husband') and also monogomy reduces the chance of sexually transmited diseases

Again, the first point assumes the women are doing it under less than ideal circumstances.

As for STD's, today's monogamous societies are rife with them, so clearly they're going to be a problem under any framework.

Disco08 said:
Polygamy doesn't necessarily have to exist under these conditions though. I think that's the point you're missing. If two (or more) women want to marry the same man, are fully aware of each other and embrace the situation that's something far different to the way some country's men treat their women.

They may 'embrace' it on the outside...but it is human nature for people who really love someone to get jealous when it comes to others moving in on their territory.
Let's be honest....the majority of people who support polygamy are males and the main reason if for their own sexual gratification, and not for any other reason.

Disco08 said:
As for STD's, today's monogamous societies are rife with them, so clearly they're going to be a problem under any framework.

Monogamous societies who accept homosexual sex is why there are increasing levels of AIDS/HIV in western societies....polygamy would just increase the rate of people getting infected exponentially.
Here you have a disease that was started with monkeys in Africa yet somehow ended up with cases being discovered within the gay community of the USA.
(So much for gay sex being 'normal and natural', eh?.... :-X)