Polygamy (Split from Christianity thread) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Polygamy (Split from Christianity thread)

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Wasn't Jack Thompson (the actor) shacked up or in a relationship with 2 sisters some years ago?
I wonder how they got on, or are they still together?

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Liverpool said:
They may 'embrace' it on the outside...but it is human nature for people who really love someone to get jealous when it comes to others moving in on their territory.

It is some humans' nature to feel this way, not all. That's the whole point Livers. No one is saying everyone has to suddenly become polygamous.

Liverpool said:
Monogamous societies who accept homosexual sex is why there are increasing levels of AIDS/HIV in western societies....

Maybe I'm getting this wrong, but are you blaming the increase in HIV in Western culture entirely on homosexuality? What would your solution be exactly Livers?

Liverpool said:
Here you have a disease that was started with monkeys in Africa yet somehow ended up with cases being discovered within the gay community of the USA.
(So much for gay sex being 'normal and natural', eh?.... :-X)

Typically ignorant and obnoxious comment from you.

Zoso

Tiger Superstar
Mar 3, 2004
Liverpool = 40 year old virgin still living at home with his parents. :hihi

ronnit

Tiger Superstar
Sep 25, 2007
i love listening to these guys arguing..if one says it is black the other will say its yellow......

carry on....

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Disco08 said:
It is some humans' nature to feel this way, not all. That's the whole point Livers. No one is saying everyone has to suddenly become polygamous.

Not everyone has to become homosexual if gay marriage is given the thumbs-up either.....but it is a kick in the guts to society to start accepting every type of union under the sun on the same level as a union between a man and a woman.
Already there are people saying that if gay marriage is legalised in the not too distant future then it would be discrimination if polygamous marriages are not also legalised.
Where does it end?
Where does a civilised society end and a new type of primitive society begin?
And I think you only need to look at the religions/cultures in Africa and the Mid-East (where polygamy is allowed) to see what I mean.
I'd like to think Western society has made strides over the years....allowing polygamy is just taking a step back in the gains we have made, if you ask me.

Disco08 said:
Maybe I'm getting this wrong, but are you blaming the increase in HIV in Western culture entirely on homosexuality? What would your solution be exactly Livers?

Not ENTIRELY, but a bloody high percentage.
You only need to read the history of Aids here:
http://www.avert.org/his81_86.htm
...to see that the common denominator of Aids and the spread of Aids was gay men.
Of course, it spread amongst the heterosexual communities as well due to bisexual men having gay sex and then having sex with females (and then some of these people sharing needles, etc)....so as I said, I can't blame it entirely on gay men but I think it is fair to say they certainly have made a large contribution.

You asked about my solution....well....if I had a solution to Aids I'd be laying on a beach somewhere with my yacht anchored in the bay...:hihi

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
You asked about my solution....well....if I had a solution to Aids I'd be laying on a beach somewhere with my yacht anchored in the bay...hihi

Dunno about this livers, i reckon there's no money in aids

Its basically a third world disease. Your average rich bloke is out of contention
Poor countries suffer from aids.
If you developed a vaccine, your customers couldnt afford to buy it.

newyorktiger

Last Year
Michael said:
You asked about my solution....well....if I had a solution to Aids I'd be laying on a beach somewhere with my yacht anchored in the bay...hihi

Dunno about this livers, i reckon there's no money in aids

Its basically a third world disease. Your average rich bloke is out of contention
Poor countries suffer from aids.
If you developed a vaccine, your customers couldnt afford to buy it.

Correct Mike - that's why a "boner" pill is one of the moat popular drugs in the US. It helps the insecure, rich , fat white guy.

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
Again your ignorance is astounding Livers. HIV is a disease of homosexual men? How very 1986 of you. Why don't you check out the number 1 mode of transmission internationally. Of course of all of those cases in Africa are due to gay men having sex with monkeys and then having sex with their wives...no?

Just because it first appeared in Western society in homosexual populations does not mean that is a 'gay disease' or caused by gay sex. Again, your ignorance breathtaking and insulting.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Panthera tigris FC said:
Again your ignorance is astounding Livers. HIV is a disease of homosexual men? How very 1986 of you. Why don't you check out the number 1 mode of transmission internationally. Of course of all of those cases in Africa are due to gay men having sex with monkeys and then having sex with their wives...no?

I didn't think I said anything that was ignorant? :don't know
Which part was ignorant and you disagree with so much that you find insulting?

Liverpool said:
Not ENTIRELY, but a bloody high percentage.

Check this out then:

Are young gay men particularly affected by HIV and AIDS?
Yes. In the USA, the UK, a number of other European countries, HIV and AIDS have affected young gay men more than any other group of people. In the UK and USA especially, the percentage of young gay men who have been infected with HIV and the percentage with AIDS are much higher than those among other groups such as heterosexual people or children. There are also other parts of the world where men who have sex with men, many of whom do not identify themselves as gay, are affected by AIDS.
In the USA, it is estimated that nearly 300,000 men were living with AIDS at the end of 2002, and another 420,000 had died. Almost 60% of men diagnosed with HIV/AIDS in the USA were probably exposed to the virus through male-to-male sexual contact.

http://www.avert.org/aidsyounggaymen.htm

or maybe you disagreed with the webpage I provided here:? ???

Liverpool said:
You only need to read the history of Aids here:
http://www.avert.org/his81_86.htm
...to see that the common denominator of Aids and the spread of Aids was gay men.

or was it this part?

Liverpool said:
Of course, it spread amongst the heterosexual communities as well due to bisexual men having gay sex and then having sex with females (and then some of these people sharing needles, etc)....so as I said, I can't blame it entirely on gay men but I think it is fair to say they certainly have made a large contribution.

So where did I say that Aids was a 'disease of homosexual men' ?
I state clearly here that it spreads by men having sex with women, people sharing needles, etc.
However, the largest contribution has been gay men.
Check this out:

As of July 22, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta had recorded 11,871 U.S. cases, including 5,917 deaths. Most alarming, the total number of cases continues to double every ten months. So far, 73% of those stricken by the disease have been homosexual or bisexual men, 17% intravenous drug users and 1% hemophiliacs. But the rest of the victims are people from all walks of life, contaminated perhaps through blood transfusions or through sexual contact with infected prostitutes, addicts and others. "This is not really a disease of homosexuality at all," says Dr. Alexandra Levine of the University of Southern California. "It is spread by sexual contact of any kind--homosexual or heterosexual. This is a disease of all of us."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1048461,00.html?iid=sphere-inline-bottom

So I apologise if my views and some evidence here you find insulting and ignorant...but sometimes the truth hurts.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Actually the vast majority of the worlds Aids cases are now in Africa and Asia, and most of these (I understand) have been passed via hetro sex.

For example, USA has about a million cases making it the largest of the developed nations by far (according to Wiki), South Africa alone has 5 million, with Tanzania, Congo, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Kenya, Nigeria, Ethiopia, and India all over a million each.

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
You didn't answer my question.

Panthera tigris FC said:
Why don't you check out the number 1 mode of transmission internationally?

The fact that the disease has spread rapidly through the male homosexual communities in the Western world has very little to do with the disease and more to do with who has sex with whom.

Liverpool said:
Monogamous societies who accept homosexual sex is why there are increasing levels of AIDS/HIV in western societies....polygamy would just increase the rate of people getting infected exponentially.
Here you have a disease that was started with monkeys in Africa yet somehow ended up with cases being discovered within the gay community of the USA.
(So much for gay sex being 'normal and natural', eh?.... :-X)

The highlighted passages are specifically what I was referring to. You clearly state that acceptance of homosexual sex is responsible for increasing levels of AIDS/HIV in western societies.....that is plainly wrong. Again, look at where HIV and AIDS infection is increasing in western societies. Just because the disease emerged in homosexuals and IV drug users has little to do with the acts and more to do with the sharing of disease within a 'community'.

You also use the prevalence of AIDS in these communities as some indication of status of gay sex as 'normal and natural'. Does that make heterosexual sex 'abnormal and unnatural' in Africa? ::)

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
Actually the vast majority of the worlds Aids cases are now in Africa and Asia, and most of these (I understand) have been passed via hetro sex.

Of course that is correct seeing that heterosexual sex is the most common method of intercourse.
Interesting that you only mention 3rd-world areas such as Africa and Asia where prostitution, rape, and polygamy are much more common too.

Panthera tigris FC said:
The fact that the disease has spread rapidly through the male homosexual communities in the Western world has very little to do with the disease and more to do with who has sex with whom.

I don't doubt the the main method of transmitting the disease NOW is through heterosexual sex....but considering that the disease was first found in homosexual men and the percentages of people carrying the disease are much higher in the gay community than any other group in the Western world clearly show that homosexual men have made a large contribution in transmitting the disease and continue to do so.
I stated that the disease spreading was not entirely down to homosexuals however the percentages of homosexuals still contracting the disease show that they are making a large contribution to the continual spread of the disease as this statement shows:

As of July 22, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta had recorded 11,871 U.S. cases, including 5,917 deaths. Most alarming, the total number of cases continues to double every ten months.
So far, 73% of those stricken by the disease have been homosexual or bisexual men
, 17% intravenous drug users and 1% hemophiliacs. But the rest of the victims are people from all walks of life, contaminated perhaps through blood transfusions or through sexual contact with infected prostitutes, addicts and others.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1048461,00.html?iid=sphere-inline-bottom

Read again Panthera:
The number of cases continues to double every 10 months and 73% of those have been homosexual/bisexual men.

If that isn't making a large contribution to the spread of the disease then I don't know what is.

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
Considering that the disease established itself in the US primarily in the male homosexual population, it doesn't really come as a surprise that most new cases (in the US) are homosexuals (think about it).

To start saying that the spread of the disease is due to homo- or heterosexuals is ridiculous. Once the disease becomes established in any population it will spread.

Liverpool said:
Of course that is correct seeing that heterosexual sex is the most common method of intercourse.
Interesting that you only mention 3rd-world areas such as Africa and Asia where prostitution, rape, and polygamy are much more common too.

So now you are attributing the spread of HIV in the 3rd world to polygamy! :rofl

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Panthera tigris FC said:
Considering that the disease established itself in the US primarily in the male homosexual population, it doesn't really come as a surprise that most new cases (in the US) are homosexuals (think about it).
To start saying that the spread of the disease is due to homo- or heterosexuals is ridiculous. Once the disease becomes established in any population it will spread.

I think it is ridiculous to not look at facts and to ignore such stuff because it doesn't suit an agenda or you feel it may offend some minority group.

73% from the numbers who have contracted the disease are homosexual/bisexual men.
The bisexual part is the one you are overlooking but it is they who are to be largely blamed for the disease crossing over from the insular homosexual community and into the mainstream heterosexual community.
And of course, due to the numbers of heterosexuals far outweighing the number of homosexuals in society then heterosexual sex simply becomes the predominant method of transmitting/contracting the disease (in places like Africa/Asia) as Tiger74 pointed out.

Panthera tigris FC said:
So now you are attributing the spread of HIV in the 3rd world to polygamy! :rofl

I think it would be naive and ridiculous to ignore this as a method of transmitting any venereal disease (including Aids/Hiv).
If heterosexual sex is the main method of contracting Aids in 3rd world continents such as Africa and Asia (as Tiger74 pointed out)....and polygamy is where a man has numerous wives....then I thought it would be quite logical to state that polygamy would definitely increase the chances of spreading such diseases as Aids.
So yes...I will attribute some of the spread of HIV in 3rd-world countries down to polygamy.
You might be interested in this article:

Apostolic churches in Zimbabwe ban polygamy
The abolition of polygamy will start with the leaders of the Apostolic and Zionist churches in Zimbabwe in order to fight against HIV/AIDS, which has so far claimed more than two million lives, a local media reported on Sunday.
The Sunday Mail said more than 70 Apostolic and Zionist churches made a landmark resolution to abolish polygamy at the launch of an anti-HIV/AIDS blueprint in the capital on Friday.
The policy document was produced after wide consultations since 1993 among members of the Union for the Development of Apostolic Churches in Zimbabwe Africa (UDACIZA), an umbrella body for Apostolic and Zionist churches made up of more than 70 bishops, each representing a church in the country's 10 provinces.
UDACIZA was formed in response to the need for independent churches in Zimbabwe to address national developmental issues, eradication of ignorance, alleviation of poverty and, most importantly, the prevention of HIV/AIDS among members and the nation at large.
The policy document denounces long-standing and deep-rooted practices within the Apostolic and Zionist churches which contribute to the spread of HIV/AIDS, such as polygamy, wife inheritance, marriage of under-age girls and treatment-seeking behaviors. It also looks at issues pertaining to stigma and discrimination of those infected with HIV.
Members intending to get married within the church will be encouraged to undergo voluntary counseling and testing and disclose results to each other.
Zimbabwe has the third highest HIV prevalence rate in the world after Botswana and Swaziland.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200509/19/eng20050919_209259.html

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:

I mentioned Africa and Asia because thats where the numbers are biggest, and yes transmission tends to be via hetro means (of which rape, prostitution and promiscuity are key transmission reasons). Didn't mention the "why" because your discussion was so focused on the its a gay disease angle.

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
Liverpool said:
I think it is ridiculous to not look at facts and to ignore such stuff because it doesn't suit an agenda or you feel it may offend some minority group.

Who is pushing the barrow in this discussion? I am not arguing the point because it may offend, but because your whole premise is wrong, bigoted and offensive.

73% from the numbers who have contracted the disease are homosexual/bisexual men.

The bisexual part is the one you are overlooking but it is they who are to be largely blamed for the disease crossing over from the insular homosexual community and into the mainstream heterosexual community.
And of course, due to the numbers of heterosexuals far outweighing the number of homosexuals in society then heterosexual sex simply becomes the predominant method of transmitting/contracting the disease (in places like Africa/Asia) as Tiger74 pointed out.

And instead of seeing them as victims of this pandemic, you accuse them of spreading HIV to the heterosexual population! You basically take the tone that their sexual preference is to blame. Like someone or some group is to blame for a viral infection. Therein lies your bigotry. You have already made it clear that your view of homosexual relationships is less than that of heterosexual relationships, now you sit and point and try to proportion blame to the major victims of this disease in the Western world as some sort of sick justification for your view. Typical Livers 'Us and Them' mentality.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
I mentioned Africa and Asia because thats where the numbers are biggest, and yes transmission tends to be via hetro means (of which rape, prostitution and promiscuity are key transmission reasons).

Tiger74,
Do you think polygamy is also a contributor in the spread of Aids/Hiv in these regions where polygamy is allowed/common?

Panthera tigris FC said:
Who is pushing the barrow in this discussion? I am not arguing the point because it may offend, but because your whole premise is wrong, bigoted and offensive.

I don't think mentioning some facts can be classed as wrong, bigoted, or offensive...? ???
In fact...what do you find wrong?
You don't believe polygamy can be a contributor to the spread of Aids where polygamy is common?
You don't believe the articles I have posted showing the large percentage of people infected are people from the gay community and that the numbers are increasing double every 10 months?
or you don't think bisexuals have played a part in spreading the disease from the gay community across to the heterosexual community?

Panthera tigris FC said:
And instead of seeing them as victims of this pandemic, you accuse them of spreading HIV to the heterosexual population! You basically take the tone that their sexual preference is to blame. Like someone or some group is to blame for a viral infection. Therein lies your bigotry.

If the gay community was the first group to be recognised with Aids and the heterosexual community was bereft of such a disease....then I think I am quite right to accuse bisexuals of being contributors to the cross-over of this disease from the homosexual community to the heterosexual community.
How is that bigoted?
If a bisexual is having sex within a community that has 73% of the number of people contracted Aids in the USA and then has unprotected sex with females in the heterosexual community...wouldn't that then be a possibility of spreading Aids from one community to another group?

The same with polygamy.
You laugh and carry on because I mentioned polygamy as a contributor to the spread of Aids in Africa/Asia where polygamy is quite common...and there are parts of Africa banning polygamy because of the spread of Aids within their countries.
So what is with this comment again?:

Panthera tigris FC said:

...because you haven't explained yourself yet....do you disagree with my assessment?

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
Tiger74,
Do you think polygamy is also a contributor in the spread of Aids/Hiv in these regions where polygamy is allowed/common?

No. Polygamy is not very common in the world, and even in a polygamous marriage it doesn't mean anyone is having sex outside marriage.

Just because you ahve more than one wife doesn't make you more likely to cheat

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
No. Polygamy is not very common in the world, and even in a polygamous marriage it doesn't mean anyone is having sex outside marriage.

Tiger74....I didn't say around the world.
I said:

I know polygamy isn't common around the world....but if certain places in Africa are banning polygamy to help stop the spread of Aids...then obviously they feel it is a contributor and I tend to agree with them.

Tiger74 said:
Just because you ahve more than one wife doesn't make you more likely to cheat

Who said anything about cheating?
A bloke has 4 wives and one of them has Aids...then the chances of the bloke contracting the disease and then infecting the other 3 wives is great.
End result: 5 people with Aids.

A bloke has 1 wife and she has Aids....the chance of the bloke contracting the disease is great.
End result: 2 people with Aids

So without cheating.....5 people with Aids in the polygamy case compared to 2 people in the other case.
And thats not counting any kids born from the unions either.

Of course if the husband dies, for example....then the number of people being infected would be exponential from 4 wives having the disease and spreading it compared to one wife having the disease and spreading it.

Anywhere you are adding more factors to an equation then you are also adding to the chances of a problem arising.