Populate and Perish? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Populate and Perish?

Reading the paper makes people stupider I suspect.

They forget how to think for themselves.

evo said:
Reading the paper makes people stupider I suspect.

They forget how to think for themselves.

thats only if you read it to find out what to think (or more often why you are right about what you think)

I tend to avoid the opinion pages these days for this reason, most the time you know what they are peddling just from the headline so the rest is just waffle. that being said, the lines between articles and opinion pieces is blurring more and more these days, but thats another discussion.

Tiger74 said:
I actually stop reading your posts when you quote articles. I read the papers most days, and I want to hear your thoughts, not those of others who you try to use to show you have external cred.

You've heard my thoughts on this issue and as per usual when I gave my opinion, the usual suspects came out of the woodwork to damn my opinion and to tell me how wrong I am.
Articles like the one above on immigration, the one on Medicare thresholds, and the one on what has happened since the alcopop tax was pushed forward are just examples of where I have already given my opinion months ago.....and it seems my opinion and judgement on the said issues has been somewhat vindicated....and maybe my ideas shouldn't be dismissed and criticised as some posters enjoy doing.

Tiger74 said:
It doesn't change the issue with the skills shortage, and I notice how you completely ignored the very specific example of my organization, where we are forced to recruit off-shore because of a lack of local skills in that area.

I chose to ignore it because your organisation is just one very small cog in the big wheel.
There are always going to be exceptions to the rule.
Remember, you have earlier said in this thread that (over)population is a 'global issue'.....so lets look at OUR part of the globe...the one that seems to have such an issue with water that we have to pipe it down from the Goulburn, yet our immigration is at record levels.
We have overcrowded trains, lack of rental properties, roads jammed with cars, a growing unemployment level....and the numbers taken from overseas swell.
You do the maths...does that make sense to you?
If the demand is bigger than the supply...then someone has to miss out, if you ask me....and that could include the workers you bring in from overseas.
Why bring in people from a 3rd world country so they can be part of the next 3rd world country?

Tiger74 said:
I tend to avoid the opinion pages these days for this reason, most the time you know what they are peddling just from the headline so the rest is just waffle. that being said, the lines between articles and opinion pieces is blurring more and more these days, but thats another discussion.

I agree with you here.
You say you read the papers most days but avoid the opinion pages....but aren't all articles opinions from reporters who choose to skew information or use language to justify their slant on the issue at hand?

Liverpool said:
You've heard my thoughts on this issue and as per usual when I gave my opinion, the usual suspects came out of the woodwork to damn my opinion and to tell me how wrong I am.
Articles like the one above on immigration, the one on Medicare thresholds, and the one on what has happened since the alcopop tax was pushed forward are just examples of where I have already given my opinion months ago.....and it seems my opinion and judgement on the said issues has been somewhat vindicated....and maybe my ideas shouldn't be dismissed and criticised as some posters enjoy doing.

I chose to ignore it because your organisation is just one very small cog in the big wheel.
There are always going to be exceptions to the rule.
Remember, you have earlier said in this thread that (over)population is a 'global issue'.....so lets look at OUR part of the globe...the one that seems to have such an issue with water that we have to pipe it down from the Goulburn, yet our immigration is at record levels.
We have overcrowded trains, lack of rental properties, roads jammed with cars, a growing unemployment level....and the numbers taken from overseas swell.
You do the maths...does that make sense to you?
If the demand is bigger than the supply...then someone has to miss out, if you ask me....and that could include the workers you bring in from overseas.
Why bring in people from a 3rd world country so they can be part of the next 3rd world country?

I agree with you here.
You say you read the papers most days but avoid the opinion pages....but aren't all articles opinions from reporters who choose to skew information or use language to justify their slant on the issue at hand?

I know your opinions, and am happy to read them, I usually skip the articles because they are irrelevant and clog that page. Thats me though

The example is relevant, because we are actually a significant employer, and its an industry wide situation we face in Australia.

On the last point, thats where using your brain comes into play. Like any material you need to consider and review.

It's taking a few years but we may get there eventually:

Call for a 25% cut in migration
http://www.theage.com.au/national/call-for-a-25-cut-in-migration-20081025-58oc.html?page=-1

Tiger74 said:
so thats a reason to stop immigration, rising rentals?

I can give you my company as an example, we are bringing in skilled migrants because the technical skills we require NO ONE here has them. Under your reign though because they come from a third world country they would be prohibited, and instead of getting a technican with a masters, we get lumbered with someone who walked past a Tafe once, and try to train them up into a role they are inadequate for.

As per the article, its skilled migration pushing the surge, and skills our economy desperately need.
so why bring them in from a third world country oh i see you can get them cheaper probably cheaper than the going rate in this country thus undermining existing pay and conditions.
you think this doesnt happen just look at england.

the claw said:
so why bring them in from a third world country oh i see you can get them cheaper probably cheaper than the going rate in this country thus undermining existing pay and conditions.

The problem is though, the "English" won't do the low paid jobs, so while there's whinging and whining about the Eastern Europeans coming into Britain, they fill a void that otherwise wouldn't be filled. You can't have it both ways. If the "English" won't do the low paid jobs, they have to allow someone in who will.

the claw said:

Try people who live in developed economies with in demand skills are often already earning a decent wage and enjoying a decent lifestyle. as such you need to pay a considerable premium to get them to come here, and if its a choice between two people with identical skills, most companies prefer to take the guy who charges less.

The links to Chinese ideals just do not stop, do they? :help

Slash population to save the world: green lobbyist
Australia should consider having a one-child policy to protect the planet, an environmental lobby group says.
Sustainable Population Australia says slashing the world's population is the only way to avoid "environmental suicide".
National president Sandra Kanck wants Australia's population of almost 22 million reduced to seven million to tackle climate change.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/slash-population-to-save-the-world-green-lobbyist-20090421-adz4.html

Here's an idea.....we stop immigration and turn the leaky boats around for a start, eh? ::)

Liverpool said:
I'm not a brightside nor a darksider....I'm not a negative person nor am I a positive person.
I'm a realist. I look at things logically and straight down the middle.

:rofl

There is very clear evidence that as countries develop economically, birth rate declines. In poor countries, having lots of children is a benefit for many reasons. In rich countries, having kids is a burden in many ways.

This is a huge problem in Japan and is becoming a big problem in Italy and western Europe. The One Child policy did have a huge effect in limiting China's population at a key time in China's history, whatever else you think about that policy and its problems.

Malthus was wrong - population growth will become less of a problem if we assume that countries like China and India will continue to develop economically. That is an assumption because climate change, wars and other factors can affect rates of development of course.

Like most of Liverpool's arguments this one is simple, logical, straightforward and wrong.

This is probably THE thread that relates close enough to a garbage documentary I just saw on the History Channel called 'Nostradamus 2012'.

These so-called documentaries on Nostradamus are always rubbish but I've always got a habit to watch one and have a good laugh. It always makes me wonder why this charlatan always wrote pessimistic predictions in vague riddles.

End of the world on 21/12/2012 ........what a load of crap. :hihi

TigerForce said:
This is probably THE thread that relates close enough to a garbage documentary I just saw on the History Channel called 'Nostradamus 2012'.

These so-called documentaries on Nostradamus are always rubbish but I've always got a habit to watch one and have a good laugh. It always makes me wonder why this charlatan always wrote pessimistic predictions in vague riddles.

Richo's retirement?

TigerForce said:

It could turn out to be the scientists & theologians version of Y2K.

geoffryprettyboy said:
It could turn out to be the scientists & theologians version of Y2K.

They didn't even speak to any scientists, just book writers who are pushing the gullible to buy.

The structure of this 2 hour documentary made me laugh the most, clearly showing how they repeated the same statements over and over again (Mayan calendar finishes on Dec 12, 2012....Sun aligns in the black hole of the Milky Way.....blah blah blah), and always mentioning how it's gonna destroy the Northern Hemisphere's winter solstice.......uhm...hello I think there are other countries on the Earth.

TigerForce said:

Ah...old Nostradamus....very vague clues that you can make anything out of.

For example...didn't Nostradamus mention something about a bloke wearing a blue hat/turban will be full of evil and terrorise the world?

And then I see this photo:

rudd-420x0.jpg

:hihi

< K-rudd | Wealth >