Populate and Perish? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Populate and Perish?

Liverpool said:
Well, let me ask you this....has the one-child policy worked in China?

Yes, there is a reason India is on track to overtake them. Without One Child policy there would be an extra 800 million Chinese in the world by some estimates.

Tiger74 said:
Yes, there is a reason India is on track to overtake them. Without One Child policy there would be an extra 800 million Chinese in the world by some estimates.

O.k...but is the population decreasing, staying stagnant, or still growing (albeit at a slower rate)?

Tiger74 said:
barely growing

Still growing though.....so we're slowing down the inevitable, in other words.

I think such a radical 'communist' idea is fine for somewhere like China...or even in an African country where they are eternally crying out for aid/food/water but keep pumping out kids....but a country like here, where we have the land and the resources, we don't need such an idea.

Liverpool said:

No. Think about it. For years during their population boom China was being populated by (for examples sake, I don't know the actual figures) 200 million newly born citizens every year. The aged population who were dying each year was lower due to the fact that they were conceived prior to the population boom commencing meaning a sharp rise in the country's population. By implementing this policy China has guaranteed that its population will decrease in the future as the people born during the population spike age and die while the newly born each year are limited by the policy.

Liverpool said:

I think such a radical 'communist' idea is fine for somewhere like China...or even in an African country where they are eternally crying out for aid/food/water but keep pumping out kids....but a country like here, where we have the land and the resources, we don't need such an idea.

Even if you ban immigration, this is not a fix. One billion Indonesians in the not too distant future may have something to say about this. Your NIMBY attitude will not solve this problem, as its a global issue requiring a global answer.

Disco08 said:
No. Think about it. For years during their population boom China was being populated by (for examples sake, I don't know the actual figures) 200 million newly born citizens every year. The aged population who were dying each year was lower due to the fact that they were conceived prior to the population boom commencing meaning a sharp rise in the country's population. By implementing this policy China has guaranteed that its population will decrease in the future as the people born during the population spike age and die while the newly born each year are limited by the policy.

That's fine Disco....but think about advances in medicines, foods, and just being more aware of our own health....and the life expectancy of these Chinese will also increase.

Tiger74 said:
Even if you ban immigration, this is not a fix. One billion Indonesians in the not too distant future may have something to say about this. Your NIMBY attitude will not solve this problem, as its a global issue requiring a global answer.

This sounds like something that could have been spruiked at the 2020 Comrade Convention.....using terms like "global issues" and "global answers" should have been enough to get our idea across the line and into the Chairman's little red book.... :hihi

But like so many ideas at this summit....your idea sounds great in theory and in a perfect world I would back you 100%.
SixPack is similar with his "all in this together" mantra...great in theory and in some world with lollipops and mushroom houses.....BUT...

.......we're living in REALITY....and each Government elected into office by their people has a responsibility to THEIR OWN COUNTRY.
Why is North Korea going to sacrifice anything to aid us? why would China cut back on their booming manufacturing to help stop greenhouse emissions? why would we stop uranium mining to help the environment? why would Iran stop nuclear technology that may cause a war or environmental damage?

The same type of logic will come from leaders of countries regarding population.

You can have a 'global law' but who is going to take any notice of that...heck....you only need to look at the Kyoto protocol for a good example of how countries will treat with contempt any such 'global' solution.

Liverpool said:
This sounds like something that could have been spruiked at the 2020 Comrade Convention.....using terms like "global issues" and "global answers" should have been enough to get our idea across the line and into the Chairman's little red book.... :hihi

But like so many ideas at this summit....your idea sounds great in theory and in a perfect world I would back you 100%.
SixPack is similar with his "all in this together" mantra...great in theory and in some world with lollipops and mushroom houses.....BUT...

.......we're living in REALITY....and each Government elected into office by their people has a responsibility to THEIR OWN COUNTRY.
Why is North Korea going to sacrifice anything to aid us? why would China cut back on their booming manufacturing to help stop greenhouse emissions? why would we stop uranium mining to help the environment? why would Iran stop nuclear technology that may cause a war or environmental damage?

The same type of logic will come from leaders of countries regarding population.

You can have a 'global law' but who is going to take any notice of that...heck....you only need to look at the Kyoto protocol for a good example of how countries will treat with contempt any such 'global' solution.

So without even trying to do ANYTHING, you just say "screw it" and bong up waiting for pestilence and/or war to kill billions?

Is this just because you don't think it will be an issue in your lifetime, so rather than fix it now and effect you, let the problem become much bigger and plague later generations when you are dead and don't have to pay a price?

Liverpool said:
That's fine Disco....but think about advances in medicines, foods, and just being more aware of our own health....and the life expectancy of these Chinese will also increase.

None of that will make any difference whatsoever. It's the annual death/birth rates that define population and population growth, not age expectancy.

Tiger74 said:
So without even trying to do ANYTHING, you just say "screw it" and bong up waiting for pestilence and/or war to kill billions?
Is this just because you don't think it will be an issue in your lifetime, so rather than fix it now and effect you, let the problem become much bigger and plague later generations when you are dead and don't have to pay a price?

I'm not a brightside nor a darksider....I'm not a negative person nor am I a positive person.
I'm a realist. I look at things logically and straight down the middle.

I will say it again....your theory of a global solution to the world population may have its merits but it will never come to fruition.
It isn't practical and there is too much at stake at a country level.
Governments are in power to serve the people of that country and to stay in power they have to do what is right for that country.
Add to that faction groups within countries trying to destabilise things and you have a recipe for disaster.

Liverpool said:
I'm not a brightside nor a darksider....I'm not a negative person nor am I a positive person.
I'm a realist. I look at things logically and straight down the middle.

I will say it again....your theory of a global solution to the world population may have its merits but it will never come to fruition.
It isn't practical and there is too much at stake at a country level.
Governments are in power to serve the people of that country and to stay in power they have to do what is right for that country.
Add to that faction groups within countries trying to destabilise things and you have a recipe for disaster.

So if its too hard and it effects Liverpool it ain't worth doing?

Tiger74 said:
So if its too hard and it effects Liverpool it ain't worth doing?

It's nothing to do with affecting me.... ::)

There are too many agendas and politics at play here that will ruin any master plan you have.

Just think about it Tiger74....think of all the countries with all the different cultures, standards, morals, leadership, and internal strife that would scupper any such 'global solution' regarding the population.
Each country has its own agenda and like Kyoto or any other 'global agreement'....leaders can shake hands, smile to the camera, and sign the document....but when it comes to action, their own people and country come first.

It's o.k having a one line quipe at me....but tell me I am wrong? eh?

Liverpool said:
It's nothing to do with affecting me.... ::)

There are too many agendas and politics at play here that will ruin any master plan you have.

Just think about it Tiger74....think of all the countries with all the different cultures, standards, morals, leadership, and internal strife that would scupper any such 'global solution' regarding the population.
Each country has its own agenda and like Kyoto or any other 'global agreement'....leaders can shake hands, smile to the camera, and sign the document....but when it comes to action, their own people and country come first.

It's o.k having a one line quipe at me....but tell me I am wrong? eh?

You are. All these agendas and so on seem to get together to build the UN, create the World Bank and IMF, create UNICEF, negotiate GATT and later the WTO. Global agreement building can happen, and its only the likes of yourself in your wood cabin writing up your manifesto that seems to be in denial about this.

It won't happen overnight, but it will happen :)

Tiger74 said:
You are. All these agendas and so on seem to get together to build the UN, create the World Bank and IMF, create UNICEF, negotiate GATT and later the WTO. Global agreement building can happen, and its only the likes of yourself in your wood cabin writing up your manifesto that seems to be in denial about this.

It won't happen overnight, but it will happen :)

Is that the same UN that is classed as a 'paper tiger'?

Again, even with the UN, UNICEF, and WTO..there are politics and internal bickerings.

Look at something like the IOC...or FIFA...they are just sports bodies but unless you butter up to certain nations or regions, then you get nowhere and why Australia was shuttled all over the Pacific and eventually playing against a 5th placed South American team to try and make it to a World Cup.
There is no 'global consenus' (even though it is FIFA)...it is who has the most power and who can make the most money for themselves.

Why do you think Japan/Korea got the World Cup? and China the Olympics?

I'm not having a go at your idea...it is commendable and you may have the interests of the world at heart.
It is a pity though that many nations and their leaders will not show the same enthusiasm when their neck is on the chopping block within their own country....and many leaders, while showing support for such an idea in public will be wheeling and dealing their own agendas behind the scenes.

That's the reality of the situation.

Panthera tigris FC said:
That is the reality because of people who share your pessimistic view of the world.

If that is your take on my views, so be it....but at least you admitted that this is the reality, which is all I'm trying to get across.
Not everything is rainbows and lollipops.

Well I reckon you've about nailed the nub of the problem, T74.

It's population growth. But obviously not population growth in Australia where we have to import humans because we're too clever to manufacture our own.

The idea of the one child policy has always appealed to me. Although the methods and side effects of that law have been worse than troubling. But Sheisen with half a billion extra citizens I reckon China and it's neighbours might be in a lot of strife by now.

Australia will deal with its population problems (ZPG or thereabouts) the way it always has, by easing the opposite kind of problem from somewhere else. I mean immigration. But it aint much in itself.

Fact is though if you could humanely implement neg pop growth on planet Earth tomorrow any rational being would do it.

Ok, count me as not rational then humanely or inhumanely. Sorry to miss the mark for your academic plans for humanity. What is all that crap you are speaking Jack????

< K-rudd | Wealth >