Populate and Perish? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Populate and Perish?

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
Snap said:
Ok, count me as not rational then humanely or inhumanely. Sorry to miss the mark for your academic plans for humanity. What is all that crap you are speaking Jack????

What exactly do you disagree with Snap? The fact that neg pop growth would be a desirable thing?

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Snap said:
So you agree with zilch growth?

I think we need to look at this planet and start having a population plan, because the type of growth we currently have is unsustainable. At the moment there is no plan.

As mentioned previously, I don't have the answer. Going down the One Child policy rout is a massive step, and you would have to say a last resort. The reality is however we only have so much water on the globe, and we can only grow so much food.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
I think we need to look at this planet and start having a population plan, because the type of growth we currently have is unsustainable. At the moment there is no plan.

As mentioned previously, I don't have the answer. Going down the One Child policy rout is a massive step, and you would have to say a last resort. The reality is however we only have so much water on the globe, and we can only grow so much food.

Don't worry about it T74, it will be someone else's problem.

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
jb03 said:
Don't worry about it T74, it will be someone else's problem.

The sooner we start dealing with it though, the easier the remedy will be. If we wait 100 years, the only solutions will be those advocated by Liverpool (war, disease, and starvation).

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Snap said:
Ok, count me as not rational then humanely or inhumanely. Sorry to miss the mark for your academic plans for humanity. What is all that crap you are speaking Jack????

Okay.

Academic? If you reckon. Nothing to be sorry about.

And I guess the crap was just three or four pretty non-controversial points about pop growth. The conclusion seems to have been controversial to you. Fair enough.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
It's fun up here in the ivory tower Jack.Don't be shy,the beers nice and cold,come join me. ;D

Malthus was right all along?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Beer's good, gentlemen.

BTW how many white elephants does it take to make an ivory tower?

Malthus, eh? First exposure to the stuff. Loved it for fifteen minutes of wiki but now I'm bored. Are the teams up yet?

Malthus. The proponent of some interesting ideas. I can see why some view the tendency of the poor to overpopulate sorta thing as a barbarous idea. But that's the nature of the cosmos.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
He was a crazy bugger alright.

Interesting phenomena as a result of the chinese one child policy.I can sort of relate having only one child myself.One tends to to spoil them.

The're all turning out fat little bastards.'Little emperors'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_emperor

obese-188kg-china-baby-1.jpg

Snap

Tiger Rookie
Jun 12, 2008
Geelong
evo said:
He was a crazy bugger alright.

Interesting phenomena as a result of the chinese one child policy.I can sort of relate having only one child myself.One tends to to spoil them.

The're all turning out fat little bastards.'Little emperors'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_emperor

obese-188kg-china-baby-1.jpg

Ha,ha,ha,ha!!!! Sorry Jack, seems i have been off the mark. Wouldn't like to have to feed this little fella for a month. :hihi

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
weneed a cull plain and simple. when disease pestilence and disaster strikes over populated countries we do nothing let mother nature take its course. of course theres sterilisation on a global scale. theres many other unpalattable remedies and the planet will get to a point where these measures will be put in place.

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
the claw said:
weneed a cull plain and simple. when disease pestilence and disaster strikes over populated countries we do nothing let mother nature take its course. of course theres sterilisation on a global scale. theres many other unpalattable remedies and the planet will get to a point where these measures will be put in place.

you first claw.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
On oldie but a goodie.

NOAH
In the year 2008, the Lord came unto Noah, and said: Once again, the earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flesh before me.

Build another Ark and save 2 of every living thing along with a few good humans.

He gave Noah the plans, saying: You have 6 months to build the Ark before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights.

Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard - but no Ark.

Noah! He roared, I'm about to start the rain! Where is the Ark?
Forgive me, Lord, begged Noah, 'but things have changed.

I needed a building permit.

I've been arguing with the inspector about the need for a sprinkler system.

My neighbours claim that I've violated the neighbourhood zoning laws by building the Ark in my yard and exceeding the height limitations. We had to go to the Development Appeal Board for a decision.

Then the Power providers demanded a bond be posted for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions, to clear the passage for the Ark's move to the sea. I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear nothing of it.

Getting the wood was another problem. There's a ban on cutting local trees in order to save the spotted owl.

I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls - but no go! When I started gathering the animals, an animal rights group sued me. They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will. They argued the accommodations were too restrictive, and it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space.

Then the EPA ruled that I couldn't build the Ark until they'd conducted an environmental impact study on your proposed flood.

I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Human Rights Commission on how many minorities I'm supposed to hire for my building crew.

Immigration are checking the visa status of most of the people who want to work.

The trade unions say I can't use my sons. They insist I have to hire only Union workers with Ark-building experience.

To make matters worse, the Tax Department seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species.

So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this Ark.

Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine, and a rainbow stretched across the sky.

Noah looked up in wonder and asked,
'You mean you're not going to destroy the world?'

'No,' said the Lord. 'The governments have beaten me to it.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
Tiger74,
I complained about the immigration levels in this country due to the problem we seem to have with water (and the lead-on affect about food) and I got booed off stage by the usual posters..... :hihi
You talk about the population....yet we continue to bring in thousands of more immigrants each year.
People say that bringing in immigrants helps them go from a third-world country to Australia, a first-world country......but who is going to save us when we become a third-world country ourselves?
Charity starts at home....

Migrant surge at record levels
THE push to lure skilled workers to Australia and the increase in foreign students have raised migration into the country to a record high.
Australian Bureau of Statistics figures reveal that net overseas migration to Australia boosted the population by almost 200,000 in the year to March, outstripping births in contributing to population growth.
And with the Federal Government adding to the migration intake in this year's budget, demographers predict the numbers will swell.
The population of Australia reached 21.3 million at the end of March, and 59% of that growth was due to net overseas migration — that is, the difference between overseas arrivals and departures.

Dr Birrell said the increasing population was adding pressure to the housing market, which was already under strain because of a reduction in the construction of units and houses. It was also increasing demand for hospital services and public transport and adding cars on roads.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/national/migrant-surge-at-record-levels/2008/09/24/1222217371374.html

Looks like that Liverpool might be on the money again... ;)

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
Migrant surge at record levels
THE push to lure skilled workers to Australia and the increase in foreign students have raised migration into the country to a record high.
Australian Bureau of Statistics figures reveal that net overseas migration to Australia boosted the population by almost 200,000 in the year to March, outstripping births in contributing to population growth.
And with the Federal Government adding to the migration intake in this year's budget, demographers predict the numbers will swell.
The population of Australia reached 21.3 million at the end of March, and 59% of that growth was due to net overseas migration — that is, the difference between overseas arrivals and departures.

Dr Birrell said the increasing population was adding pressure to the housing market, which was already under strain because of a reduction in the construction of units and houses. It was also increasing demand for hospital services and public transport and adding cars on roads.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/national/migrant-surge-at-record-levels/2008/09/24/1222217371374.html

Looks like that Liverpool might be on the money again... ;)

so thats a reason to stop immigration, rising rentals?

I can give you my company as an example, we are bringing in skilled migrants because the technical skills we require NO ONE here has them. Under your reign though because they come from a third world country they would be prohibited, and instead of getting a technican with a masters, we get lumbered with someone who walked past a Tafe once, and try to train them up into a role they are inadequate for.

As per the article, its skilled migration pushing the surge, and skills our economy desperately need.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
so thats a reason to stop immigration, rising rentals?

I can give you my company as an example, we are bringing in skilled migrants because the technical skills we require NO ONE here has them. Under your reign though because they come from a third world country they would be prohibited, and instead of getting a technican with a masters, we get lumbered with someone who walked past a Tafe once, and try to train them up into a role they are inadequate for.

As per the article, its skilled migration pushing the surge, and skills our economy desperately need.

Tiger74,
Even Brumby called for a stop in the surge of immigration for those exact reasons....housing and infrastructure in general.
Bob Carr said the same in NSW a few years back as well.
Check out my last post on the 'talking politics' thread. ;)

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
I actually stop reading your posts when you quote articles. I read the papers most days, and I want to hear your thoughts, not those of others who you try to use to show you have external cred.

It doesn't change the issue with the skills shortage, and I notice how you completely ignored the very specific example of my organization, where we are forced to recruit off-shore because of a lack of local skills in that area.

< K-rudd | Wealth >