Populate and Perish? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Populate and Perish?

Liverpool said:
Tiger74,

I complained about the immigration levels in this country due to the problem we seem to have with water (and the lead-on affect about food) and I got booed off stage by the usual posters..... :hihi
You talk about the population....yet we continue to bring in thousands of more immigrants each year.

People say that bringing in immigrants helps them go from a third-world country to Australia, a first-world country......but who is going to save us when we become a third-world country ourselves?

Charity starts at home....

lol

Tiger74 said:
Oh, and by the way, the "Europe - The Final Countdown" solution to the problem is not acceptable, as I doubt we can live on Venus

The clear high point of anything you've posted on PRE. ;D

I see that you only doubt it, but don't dismiss it.

jb03 said:
The clear high point of anything you've posted on PRE. ;D

I see that you only doubt it, but don't dismiss it.

I just doubt that they have seeeen us, and will welcome.... us all.... yeah

:hihi

still cacking meself over the classic livers connection between migration and water levels. one of my all time faves! :spin

Tiger74 said:
This isn't about home. If we hold our numbers and the world population booms to 10 billion, you think this will mean we have more oil, resources, and food, and less global warming?
Even if we horde, this will just make us an attractive target to take over to aid "better resource distribution".
This is a global issue, and it needs a global solution. NIMBY tactics won't solve this one.

There will never be a global solution Tiger74 because there is too much power and money at stake....as well as personal agendas.
If you really think all the countries around the world are going to come to such an agreement, then you are dreaming.
So you need to start protecting your own backyard first.

Six Pack said:
still cacking meself over the classic livers connection between migration and water levels. one of my all time faves! :spin

Well, it is pretty logical SixPack that if water is decreasing here...yet we are increasing the population through immigration...then sooner or later we will be in trouble.
So keep cacking all you like....but if we keep draining our finite resources to feed an infinite rise in population levels, then we will go from helping third-world countries to becoming a third-world country ourselves.
Then who will be cacking?
Think about it...

We all share this planet, Livers. I know this makes you feel uncomfortable, but it's true.
The planet doesn't belong to us, we are just passing through and we have a duty to everyone, we are all in this together.

Six Pack said:
We all share this planet, Livers. I know this makes you feel uncomfortable, but it's true.
The planet doesn't belong to us, we are just passing through and we have a duty to everyone, we are all in this together.

We don't share it....we all have have own regions, our own people, our own languages, our own governments, our own customs, our own laws, our own morals, our own values.
It may make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think we are all one big happy family on planet earth...but we are not.
Each country has it's own agendas on what is best for them.

Do you see China sharing your 'all in this together' approach when they surpassed the USA in greenhouse emissions? Do you see Japan sharing your 'all in this together' approach when killing a few whales in our waters? Do you see African nations sharing your 'all in this together' approach as they such aid-relief for over 20+ years while still finding the money and resources to arm rebel groups and conduct coups and civil wars?

It's time to wake up and smell the roses Sixpack....the only people that give a stuff about Australia, are Australians.....because if you think someone else is going to help us, then you are bloody dreaming.

I didnt say it was perfect. I didnt say the Japanese or the Chinese or the Amercians or whoever were playing by the rules, but the sooner we realise that we are one people and that we all have a global responsibilty the better.

If everyone was as selfish and as bigotted as you we will get nowhere.

Six Pack said:
I didnt say it was perfect. I didnt say the Japanese or the Chinese or the Amercians or whoever were playing by the rules, but the sooner we realise that we are one people and that we all have a global responsibilty the better.
If everyone was as selfish and as bigotted as you we will get nowhere.

If nobody else is playing by the rules...then what makes you think we should?
That is the point Sixpack.....there is no second chance.....you either stand up for Australia and we start looking after ourselves more, or we will eventually perish, and nobody else will give a stuff.
And then we all complain living in our third-world country because nobody else played by the 'rules of Sixpack'?
You're living in a nice unrealistic fantasy....and in a perfect world, I would agree with your ideaology...but we live in a world that is selfish and if we aren't as selfish and smart as other countries, then we will just blow away and nobody will care...

you should try not being so selfish, Livers. Try helping and doing things for other people. You might find it rewarding.

The world cannot co-operate? Thats a crock!

It may be like hearding cats, but the world has collectively reduced the risk of global war through the use of the United Nations. World trade has opened up through global agreements of GATT and WTO. Environmental issues are being tackled through some very early (and granted compromised) mechanisms in Kyoto and Doha.

Its not perfect, and is not straight line progression, but the world is gradually moving in the right direction on these things.

Six Pack said:
you should try not being so selfish, Livers. Try helping and doing things for other people. You might find it rewarding.

I certainly won't find it rewarding when we have 50-million people here and we are all scavenging for food and water and asking for aid.
I have no problem helping others...but let's get our own backyard in order first.

Remember, it was you who said this once, Sixpack:

Six Pack said:
Livers, if it was my kid starving and I had only enough money to feed one kid then i would feed him/her first. If the other kid was worse off i would consider how i could feed him/her or how i could share.

So much for rewarding oneself.... ;)

Livers, that starving kid scenario is a load of crap and u know it. Its not relevant to what we are talking about here.

Tiger74 said:
The world cannot co-operate? Thats a crock!
It may be like hearding cats, but the world has collectively reduced the risk of global war through the use of the United Nations. World trade has opened up through global agreements of GATT and WTO. Environmental issues are being tackled through some very early (and granted compromised) mechanisms in Kyoto and Doha.
Its not perfect, and is not straight line progression, but the world is gradually moving in the right direction on these things.

Don't get fooled by Kyoto mate....it is something that looks great on paper and nice framed on the wall at Parliament House, and something to shut the greenies up about....but, countries treat it with contempt.
It is useless.

I admire your thoughts (and SixPack's)....all very noble....but the reality means that countries will always look after their own backyards, their own agendas, and their own economy first and foremost. Anything less and the people will vote them out.

probably time we started to stop thinking as countries then and started thinking as neighbours and communities.

Borders are artificial lines on maps Livers.

Time to start thinking about others for a change. You cant take it with u so u might as well share it around.

Not everyone Liverpool. Heard of the Marshall Plan? Americans spent billions rebuilding their former foe Germany to stop the spread of communist influence. Was their some self interest, of course, but preventing global overpopulation creating a humanitarian disaster and global depression has a fair bit of self interest too.

As for Kyoto, its the start of a long process. Have you compared GATT to WTO? GATT was a joke compared to what we have in place now. These things take time and effort, and global environmental agreements are still on their training wheels.

Six Pack said:
probably time we started to stop thinking as countries then and started thinking as neighbours and communities.
Borders are artificial lines on maps Livers.
Time to start thinking about others for a change. You cant take it with u so u might as well share it around.

More than happy too...but everyone has to abide by the same rules.
No point us short-changing ourselves while countries we are 'helping' are still spending billions of $$$ on weapons for their own civil wars.
Doesn't stop them pumping out the kids though....
Instead of sending food and stuff over to African nations in the 1980s, we should have been sending contraceptives.

Tiger74 said:
Not everyone Liverpool. Heard of the Marshall Plan? Americans spent billions rebuilding their former foe Germany to stop the spread of communist influence. Was their some self interest, of course, but preventing global overpopulation creating a humanitarian disaster and global depression has a fair bit of self interest too.
As for Kyoto, its the start of a long process. Have you compared GATT to WTO? GATT was a joke compared to what we have in place now. These things take time and effort, and global environmental agreements are still on their training wheels.

Look, I don't want to talk about global-warming....to be honest, I think it is a bit of a sham and I have stated as such on the "global warming" thread many times.
Sure, global warming is happening....can we stop it? No.
Is all the Kyotos and Dohas and all the other crap going to stop it? No.
It's a natural cycle that we have to work around.

I think by the time the world is overpopulated and unsustainable.....we should be ready to jet off to Mars to start colonisation there.
It will be way beyond my time so I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

In the meantime.....a short term answer to population problems is a good old-fashioned world war....and before everyone jumps up and down....it could be closer than you think if Iran and the Yanks start getting into it and the old nuclear weapons start flying around.

Don't you think we have better options than either a plague or killing each other?

What about population controls, incentives to minimize child numbers, free snips, etc?

Tiger74 said:
Don't you think we have better options than either a plague or killing each other?
What about population controls, incentives to minimize child numbers, free snips, etc?

Well, let me ask you this....has the one-child policy worked in China?

< K-rudd | Wealth >