Potential Father/Son thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Potential Father/Son thread

leon said:
Think you need to check that. According to this website, 2017 Gift was won by J. Nettlefold. However in the top graphic the guy winning looks a lot like he could be Scotty's son:

http://www.ballaratgift.com/index.php/history

Yeah sorry got that wrong, it was the 400m Under 20 at the Ballarat gift that he won.

Tigertool said:
Yeah sorry got that wrong, it was the 400m Under 20 at the Ballarat gift that he won.

Well, at least that's probably even better from a football perspective. Speed but greater endurance. Would love to have another hard, tough, long-kicking son of Scotty working his way into the Tigers backline in future. Let's hope he can kick on via another avenue e.g. look at him for our VFL team?

watched Maurice Rioli junior run around last night for St Marys vs Waratahs up here in Darwin, he kicked an early goal. Battled most of the night. The kid is only 15 playing against men. so at least he's getting experience against bigger bodies.

richards42 said:
watched Maurice Rioli junior run around last night for St Marys vs Waratahs up here in Darwin, he kicked an early goal. Battled most of the night. The kid is only 15 playing against men. so at least he's getting experience against bigger bodies.

Love NT reports R42. Keep 'em coming. :fing32

richards42 said:
I do really like the idea of the best kids getting a chance to play against men on a regular basis in their respective state leagues. NTFL, WAFL, SANFL etc. Also really adds a sense of community to the clubs having continuity from junior to under age to senior level football.

A real shame the best youth in Victoria are ring fenced into the soulless, contrived U18 TAC cup - which is essentially a development comp with boys playing a season of practice matches in development squads. The rest of the community based footy clubs really lose something, having these boys and their families missing from the wider community footy pool. I'd prefer to see TAC abolished and as a replacement U18s added to the old VFA (now VFL) clubs. Obviously zones being allocated to each of the VFL clubs for this purpose. Achieves several things. The best under age blokes get the opportunity to play against men (if ready), gives a more defined pathway for those in the U18 system who may not make it to the AFL, and rejuvinates some of the stale and struggling VFL clubs.

As an aside I really hope the AFL doesn’t change the F/S again. I think it’s awesome seeing sons of former players run around for the side their dad played for.

We got to have some romance in the game.

I would even even reduce the games required, maybe without the discount for 50-99 games. If you really want the f/s you get him as long as you are prepared to pay.

Panthera Tigris said:
The rest of the community based footy clubs really lose something, having these boys and their families missing from the wider community footy pool.

Totally agree PT.
Have posted on this before and your post doesn't even open the topic of the damage to local clubs from the corruption of player payments diverted to TAC teams rather than home clubs.

richards42 said:

Watched Maurice Jnr run around at Scotch College today.
Had to leave early. Too hot in that rain coat

Blind Turn said:

BT, how did you find out Jnr would be running around at Scotch today?

PS. There a small article about him on Official Afl Website

Interesting the afl website mentions that in addition to Richmond and freo, Essendon has rights to Rioli jnr, too, as part of its Next Generation Academy zone, which includes the Tiwi Islands.

caesar said:
BT, how did you find out Jnr would be running around at Scotch today?

PS. There a small article about him on Official Afl Website

It's called stalking. Until he puts a restraining order on me, I'll continue to watch him whilst wearing my raincoat.

Blind Turn said:

They're going to be onto you soon BT. The Scotch College lollipop lady is starting to stink in the boot of your car.

:hihi

Funny but don't discourage him; want him to keep stalking MRJ but next time, BT, actually stay, watch and tell us something about how he goes.

Actually just a touch worried about this; not too much about Freo, but the Bummers sniffing around - no doubt (probably offering unusual-looking boiled lollies in a white paper bag). Also, never trust Dawthorn with Uncle Cyril possibly touting that happy family down at Hawksville.

Tigertool said:
Hawthorn aren't in the picture anyway.

Yer, just being paranoid. We certainly appear to have the inside running, but it's pretty unfair on the kid really. There's no guarantees in genes necessarily. Long way to go yet.