PRE 2022 Phantom Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE 2022 Phantom Draft

Melbourne selects Sam Gilbey

That is a very good pick up if Melbourne do get him. I have a feeling he is exactly what their backline needs. A smaller intercept defender with great athleticism and game awareness. High footy IQ.

Needs to bulk up a bit. He’d be 70kgs dripping wet.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe my mind has gone a bit foggy but I did remember the hype about him being the number 1 & also remember plenty of question marks being raised after the state carnival. PRE was actually on the money with Buddy, Phantom quite rightly suggested we take at least 1 tall in the top 5, whoever that may have been out of Roughie & Buddy.
I wasn't on PRE at the time but would have agreed with ol Phanto if I were. I had discussions about it with my brother. We both wanted Lids but he loved Tambling where I wanted Buddy. The hindsight call was we should have taken Roughy at pick 1 and Buddy at 4.

Reactions: 1 user
I wasn't on PRE at the time but would have agreed with ol Phanto if I were. I had discussions about it with my brother. We both wanted Lids but he loved Tambling where I wanted Buddy. The hindsight call was we should have taken Roughy at pick 1 and Buddy at 4.
I just remember Roughie being housed at the club like he was a dead set monty to land at Punt Road, there didn't seem to be any question we wouldn't be taking a tall that year. Then came the Hawthorn bombshell and the rest is history. But in all likelihood we don't get Jack, Rance & Cotchin if we win a couple more matches with Buddy in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I doubt he would have lasted another 15 picks, looking at what's left on the board it will be a stretch. Richmond either needs to trade up or turn their attention to some other forward prospects. Scully, Bradtke, Verrall & Foster still in the frame.

These Doggies picks are similarly aligned with our original selections, this is a pretty good illustration as to the type of players who will be selected in these slots. I also have Cowan firmly entrenched in my top 20, he's another I had on my shortlist in the event some of these players are off the board.
We really dont have any assets to trade up with and im not sure if we actually want to this year
i think we will just have 5-10 players on our board that we like and will select 1-2 of them and if not just take the 1 and upgrade pickett and move on.

North take Blake Drury.
Height: 176cm Weight: 73kg

Drury impressed me in the champs no end. Super clean, one touch and doesn’t waste a possession.

“Many recruiters see him as a Jack Higgins clone because he’s so clever around goal,” AFL Media reporter Cal Twomey said during Fox Footy’s coverage. That’s a tidy pick at this spot in the draft. North are desperate for class and smarts across all lines. Drury reminds me of another red head, Jake Bowey at Melbourne. I could easily see Drury being a distributor from half back. 6.25 2km trial, 68cm vertical , this is an athletic small man. Looks to have pace in traffic as well, zips in and out. Smart players that can play on any line with a pick in the 40’s, thats good going.

@tigersnake your call

Last edited:
Pick 43

Fremantle select Lloyd Johnston 184cm 80kg Defender

Allies/ NT Thunder/ Suns Academy/ Wanderers

Lloyd has pace and agility to burn, as well as a big eye catching leap. Had a solid u18 championships for the Allies where his trademark intercepting across half back and then setting up attacking play was on display.

@Redford up

Last edited:
Saints go with another KPP in Phoenix Foster, mainly coz it's such a cool name

SNAPSHOT: “An athletic forward who is strong in the air and capable of playing through the ruck.”

Phoenix Foster was somewhat of a surprise packet for South Australia at the National Championships. With lead ruck Harry Barnett a late withdrawal from game one due to COVID, Foster took the opportunity with both hands and was named one of South Australia’s best players in the Croweaters’ win against the Allies. So impressive was his performance, that he retained his position in the side throughout the Championships, playing in all bar one game.

@mrposhman

North take Blake Drury.
Height: 176cm Weight: 73kg

Drury impressed me in the champs no end. Super clean, one touch and doesn’t waste a possession.

“Many recruiters see him as a Jack Higgins clone because he’s so clever around goal,” AFL Media reporter Cal Twomey said during Fox Footy’s coverage. That’s a tidy pick at this spot in the draft. North are desperate for class and smarts across all lines. Drury reminds me of another red head, Jake Bowey at Melbourne. I could easily see Drury being a distributor from half back. 6.25 2km trial, 68cm vertical , this is an athletic small man. Smart players that can play on any line with a pick in the 40’s, thats good going.

@tigersnake your call

Great pick.

Sauce head, who held a place in the guts with ashcroft and mackenzie. Footballer

Hawthorn need a lot of different types in the draft. I have 2 mids and a half back, so I'll go for a half forward at 46.

Hawks pick Jaiden Magor - 185cm half forward. Has a lot of upside, probably didn't show enough in the Championships, but at SANFL Under 18's has looked good. Goal sense is good, can mix it up through the midfield too. Looking at replacements for those half forward positions that are currently taken by Bruest and Wingard. If Sam Butler remains as a half forward, could be a really good 1-2 in that position.

@tigersnake Carlton are up

Clohesy is part of Geelongs NGA they can match him at that pick

hTF does that work? He played for coolangatta until u16 and seems* about as ethnic as malcom fraser???

* i know ethnicity runs deep.

What is NGA exactly? I thought it was black and cross codes?

hTF does that work? He played for coolangatta until u16 and seems* about as ethnic as malcom fraser???

* i know ethnicity runs deep.

What is NGA?
The Cats have history with producing father-sons and have access to one this year in Osca Riccardi, who is the son of 288-game player Peter. Riccardi played some solid football with the Geelong Falcons in the NAB League this year and also featured in one VFL match late in the season for the Cats. He has primarily played as a rebounding defender, but has also gone forward and kicked goals on occasion. Riccardi was invited to the state draft combine in October - where he won the 2km time trial in 6min 17sec – and is a chance to be a late draft pick. Geelong also has access to midfielder Ted Clohesy through its NGA program. A vice-captain of the Falcons in the NAB League this year, Clohesy is a strong contest and clearance player who featured in three games for Vic Country in the national championships and also impressed in one late-season match for the Cats’ VFL side.

Pick 47 Carlton select Jayden Davey. 181cm 74kg Forward

Oakleigh Chargers/ Palmerston Magpies

Hasn't played this season due to an ACL

supposed to be better than Alwyn jr :cupgold

seriously I was tossing up JD with 1 other, flip of the coin, Bengals comment swung it.

Pick 47 Carlton select Jayden Davey. 181cm 74kg

Oakleigh Chargers/ Palmerston Magpies

supposed to be better than Alwyn jr :cupgold

seriously I was tossing up JD with 1 other, flip of the coin, Bengals comment swung it.
Yeah but he's bumbers F/S