Prestia !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Prestia !!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Loved it when Cotch brought down Mummy, meatball was quick to get in there and gave Mummy faces a very close and personal introduction to his forearm. It was a very clear message to GWS that we can out thug them if that's the way they want to play.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Was worth every cent. Played a massive MASSIVE hand in both premierships. Hands down the best two way mid in the competition. Rivalled only by Lambert, Edwards and Cotchin haha!!

A tiger legend for life.

Reactions: 2 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
To think Dion arrived at our club a physical mess but thanks to our clubs medical and conditioning team we now have a very special player who can consistently turn a game in our favour with his non stop running and sheer skill. He is now what the Suns always hoped he would be for them but it was our club that turned him into the player he is today

• Love

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Congratulations Dion thoroughly deserved b & f ! How far have we come that In a premiership year our top 5 didn’t include legends in Rance Dusty Jack & Trent

What a club !

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
In hindsight we made out like bandits getting him for pick 6. In the open market now he is worth double that.

A brilliant player!

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
RICHMOND would be making a mistake trading pick No.6 for Dion Prestia in an attempt to bounce back quickly into the finals mix next season, according to Port Adelaide’s Kane Cornes.
The Tigers may part with their top selection for the 23-year-old Gold Coast midfielder, who nominated the Tigers as his preferred destination.
Cornes said Richmond clearly overrated its list and should follow St Kilda’s plan to rebuild through the draft.
DESTINATION CLUB: TIGERS TO OFFER PRESTIA FIVE-YEAR DEAL
SUNS GUN: CLUBS LINE UP FOR JAEGER PITCH

“I worry with the language coming out of the club all year that they (Tigers) overestimate their list,” Cornes told the Herald Sun.
MORE IN sport
Fans watche the start of day four of the World Athletics Championships in Doha, Qatar, Monday, Sept. 30, 2019. (AP Photo/Morry Gash)

Silent shame of athletics World Champs
Silent shame of athletics World Champs

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JULY 03: Brodie Kemp of Vic Country celebrates a goal during the AFL 2019 U18 Championships match between Vic Country and Western Australia at Marvel Stadium on July 03, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

Top 20 AFL draft prospects
Top 20 AFL draft prospects

similars

“And they seem to think they are a Dion Prestia away from a final series, but I don’t see that at all.
”I think they are a fair way back, and it can turn quickly, if you look at St Kilda and the way they have gone about it. That’s the way I would have gone.”
Dion Prestia in action against Adelaide.
Dion Prestia in action against Adelaide.
Champion Essendon goalkicker Matthew Lloyd backed Cornes’ assessment said the Tigers should not bring in “any recycled players” this year, including Dion Prestia.
Lloyd said the Tigers should keep pick No. 6 and aim higher in the draft.

“Instead of paying someone (more than) $600,000 and giving away pick No.6 in the draft, actually take a kid that you pay minimum wage who you hope will be better than Dion Prestia,” Lloyd told the league website.
“I think they’re the type of decisions that Richmond have to start making.”
Richmond has already moved its second-round draft pick on to Gold Coast, meaning its first selection, after trading on pick No.6 for Prestia, would be in the third-round.
Cornes said the pressure on coach Damien Hardwick to perform next season was at odds with the state of the Tigers’ list.
Richmond they probably need to realise where their list is at and when you are that far behind, the best strategy is to go to the draft.

Kane Cornes
“It is just the wrong play for me because the thing you have to remember is clearly Hardwick is under pressure, so he needs improvement (straight away),” he said.
“So there’s two issues, there’s the coaching issue and the club as a whole.
“I think the best long-term strategy for the club is the one I’m suggesting, to go through the draft, but if you are Damien Hardwick, you probably can’t knock him for the way he is going because he needs improvement.”
Richmond has also been linked to veteran Collingwood spearhead Travis Cloke.
Cornes said Richmond needed as many early draft picks as possible to help rebuild back into a genuine premiership contender.
“Richmond they probably need to realise where their list is at and when you are that far behind, the best strategy is to go to the draft and there are a number of midfielders are available this year,” he said.
“To give up so much to get a 23-year-old (Prestia) who only played 22 games in the past two years and had some injury concerns when he was a kid, is risky.
“They should get as many first-round draft picks as you can, and trade out a (Ty) Vickery and (Reece) Conca and get those picks in return, because I don’t think the first-round picks that they have had in the past five years - I can’t see apart from (Dustin) Martin - the next star.”
Cornes said the Saints had shown teams can regenerate through the draft, while keeping some core senior players.
“They kept some of their older stars like (Nick) Riewoldt, (Leigh) Montagna and clearly Richmond has a whole of quality in that same department, so you keep on to (Alex) Rance and (Jack) Riewoldt and Dustin Martin,” he said.
“But if you look at those three and I think who is the next Dustin Martin at Richmond? There is no one coming through that I think is the next star of that football club.”

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
:mhihi:mhihi

”I think they are a fair way back, and it can turn quickly, if you look at St Kilda and the way they have gone about it. That’s the way I would have gone.”

• Haha

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
To win a B&F in that company, in a premiership year, is pretty impressive. Well done fella.

There was a huge Dion critic around here, who seems to have gone quiet in recent times...

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Dion Prestia will forever be known as a B&F winner in a premiership team. Awesome season.

By points, since we got something back, we paid pick 9 or 10 for Prestia.

That’s about the same price as Lennon or Corey Ellis, which is still about 3 first rounders more valuable than Kane Cornes’ opinion.

Reactions: 1 user

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Thought his knees were gone early in 2017. Medical staff and Dion take a bow!

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
He had a brilliantly consistent year and fully deserved to win.

Kept us afloat through some tough games early on.

Reactions: 1 users

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
He just keeps going from strength to strength. congrats Dion on an awesome year:clap2

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
To think Dion arrived at our club a physical mess but thanks to our clubs medical and conditioning team we now have a very special player who can consistently turn a game in our favour with his non stop running and sheer skill. He is now what the Suns always hoped he would be for them but it was our club that turned him into the player he is today
Well said, medical and fitness team over the last few years have been exceptional.

Even Marlion made mention to the impact of them how they put a preseason into him when he 1st came to the club and was out injured.