Propose July 25th MCG match as Petition Day | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Propose July 25th MCG match as Petition Day

Come on RR,
I said that I'll be in the USA on July 10, back on July 18.
What about a night before June 24?

Better to read between the lines I think ARLARV. It's a bit risky to be making personal allegations.
I wish I lived in melbourne too. Come up here and I'll cook you a parma RR. ;D

I like the idea but unfortunately at this stage without a decent ticket most people are sceptical. Unfortunately we voted for change in 99 because of poor on-field when really we undermined the work put in to get into the black off-field. We have now realised the errors of our ways.

Its vital that we get the right people there. Yes lets vote for a change but we need the right people putting their hand up otherwise its useless. In saying that, I support a massive change at both levels (on and off field).

The EGM wouldn't occur until September, I'm sure candidates would organise themselves by that time.
Remember July 25th is only the signing of a petition.

Hartbalme said:
Redford said:
Personally, I would go to the Swan Hotel for that parma.

There's a nice "chicken" there who will bring it to your table....

Cluck. Cluck.

Cambo ? ???

No Loveoil. He's too busy out the back counting all his money for that.

But you won't be dispapointed by the person who does do it, put it that way.

Phantom said:
The EGM wouldn't occur until September, I'm sure candidates would organise themselves by that time.
Remember July 25th is only the signing of a petition.

Is September early enough Phantom? I presume, on the off chance we don't make the finals, Danny's contract will expire in August.

Imagine the sick joke if someone felt their days were numbered so decided to leave a lasting legacy by signing up a dodgy coach on a long term contract.

Good for you Phantom.

We can slag off as much as we want on the footy boards, but it doesnt change much.

You should push for a board of directors at RFC that is made up 50% of former players rather than just corporate retirees that, in TJ's words earlier in the year, leak over long lunches.

Corporate types choose other corporate types for the board. And it hasnt improved our onfield performances. And judging from our lack of sponsers and financial mess, they're not exactly helping too much in that area either. We need former players that know what needs to be done on the field like Benny and co.

A petition signed by a bunch of members expressing no confidence in the directors will have enormous public relation impact.

Rampaging Richo said:
Phant,

Hopefully Casey will walk before then and we won't need to have an EGM.

The only prob Phant is the cost of holding an EGM.  The club is broke, so I would reckon there would be legal action to prevent one from taking place.

Maybe the petition and the intentions of a no confidence vote would be the trigger for CC to resign.

It only costs $726 to hire the Richmond Town Hall for an evening (7PM to 1AM) on a weeknight, and on top of that you would have to arrange security etc.

If a bigger venue is needed, then the cost would probably be greater - but we are talking about a $26M business here, so it isn't that significant in the "big picture".

An EGM is still needed, otherwise it will be a self-appointed board replacing another self-appointed board, haven't we learnt that lesson yet?

Good question Rosy,
If there are any lawyers out there, is there a possibility of putting a caveat on the current board appointing a coach once the petition had gone through.

To 1980,
I wouldn't dare compromise an open election by predetermining types of board members.

The Boss said:
Will you be nominating for the Board again David?

If the right people get on in the next few months then hopefully I won't have to.

I don't really want a position on the board - my life will just go on fine without it!, I just want some people there who will have an outlook similar to what I (and many other Tiger supporters) have expressed.

Last year I nominated because that seemed the only way of trying to achieve that goal, if another person can achieve it, then good luck to 'em and I'll give them my support.

Having said all of that, if a "revolution" does occur and it looks like we still don't have the right balance, then who knows....

David it would be a priviledge if I could have your help as well as any one else's.

David C said:
The Boss said:
Will you be nominating for the Board again David?

If the right people get on in the next few months then hopefully I won't have to.

I don't really want a position on the board - my life will just go on fine without it!, I just want some people there who will have an outlook similar to what I (and many other Tiger supporters) have expressed.

Last year I nominated because that seemed the only way of trying to achieve that goal, if another person can achieve it, then good luck to 'em and I'll give them my support.

Having said all of that, if a "revolution" does occur and it looks like we still don't have the right balance, then who knows....

Thanks for the response David.
Let's hope the right people get on.

Phantom said:
If there are any lawyers out there, is there a possibility of putting a caveat on the current board appointing a coach once the petition had gone through.

I doubt any law would intervene to prevent a Board exercising what is, after all, their right.

PS- Caveats are used with land

Term "caveat" is latin for beware.
Yes it is used in property when securing claims on property, but it is also used in commerce, eg caveat emptor - let the buyer beware.
What is the validity of someone signing a contract with a Board which will face a no confidence motion and has questionable authority to do so.
It must be a grey area.

the only ceveat I'd place is that the board isnt able to reappoint Danny Frawley. Otherwise, I'd let them recruit another coach without any problems.

Phantom said:
Term "caveat" is latin for beware.
Yes it is used in property when securing claims on property, but it is also used in commerce, eg caveat emptor - let the buyer beware.
What is the validity of someone signing a contract with a Board which will face a no confidence motion and has questionable authority to do so.
It must be a grey area.

You could be right Phantom.

www.austlii.edu.au lists case law from Australian jurisdictions. A database search of the terms "no-confidence motion" and "board capabilities' or "effects" could provide insight.

I couldn't find anything useful in a scan of oher legal databases.

Many thanks Canbtiger.
I hope the RFC are reading this thread.

I'm with the Phantom on this one. (Seems natural, really).

I think if you open the door for an EGM, then those wanting to form a "ticket" will and other independants can also nominate.

Rosy has a good point too....The EGM in August or September?

But I am all for the signing day.

From the advantage of my many years, I would advocate caution, even advise everyone to hasten slowly.

In my time, I have seen boards buckle, committees crumble and companies collapse. It is never pretty. Change is sometimes necessary, but never pretty.

There can be a lot of pain generated by toppling those at the top, and hurts - real or imagined - may fester for a long time afterwards, making the job of rebuilding very difficult.

I'm not saying don't call for an EGM but be aware there can be a fall-out which might not be what was originally wanted.

I would not sign a petition without knowing, or having some idea, of who might be taking the place of those removed. This is a very drastic step which, once begun, might not be easy to control.

Calling for an EGM should mean that there is an alternative on offer - don't do it just to topple authority, no matter how bad that authority is thought to be.

No-one wins if anarchy rules!