Re: Adam Goodes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: Adam Goodes

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Total Tiger said:
Yep, I'm done. This thread has added 60 pages in one week. Don't think one single person's opinion has been swayed in that time.

I reckon Sintiger's post way back swayed at least a few, made me stop and think about some of my own actions.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
tigersnake said:
You can speak for yourself, but not for the entire AFL community. ....

All we can all do is speak for ourselves but some certainly seem to speak on behalf of others. In regards to that can you explain your comment below please? What is THE narrative. Whose narrative is it?

tigersnake said:
Its not Goodes' narrative, its THE narrative.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
rosy23 said:
All we can all do is speak for ourselves but some certainly seem to speak on behalf of others. In regards to that can you explain your comment below please? What is THE narrative. Whose narrative is it?

The narrative of Australia's colonisation since 1788.

bruntonave.

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 18, 2010
Total Tiger said:
And no, I don't really support that although I do like the jumper. I do understand why they did it though. The whole AFL community is too scared to do nothing now or they will somehow get caught up in it and be branded racist

I don't think you understand why they did it at all.

It wasn't out of fear.

bruntonave.

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 18, 2010
rosy23 said:
It's not about blacks and whites in the olden days to me. That doesn't mean I approve of what's happened in the past. I find it very upsetting and disgraceful. It can't be changed though.

It's not just about the past. It's about the present and what can be done.

What RFC are doing through the Korin Gamadji Institute is an example, and something we can all be proud of.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
tigersnake said:
The narrative of Australia's colonisation since 1788.

I still don't get it. "THE narrative" is very specific. I'm not aware of such a thing. Can you tell me what the narrative is and where I can read it?

bruntonave.

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 18, 2010
rosy23 said:
I still don't get it. "THE narrative" is very specific. I'm not aware of such a thing. Can you tell me what the narrative is and where I can read it?

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUMpPgMGCe8

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
rosy23 said:
I find it really interesting to read and discuss all of the opinions. I just can't see how discrimination can be not only tolerated, but encouraged and condoned by the powers to be.

at the risk of getting back into this argument, can i ask in your opinion what discrimination has been tolerated?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Brodders17 said:
at the risk of getting back into this argument, can i ask in your opinion what discrimination has been tolerated?

I've already posted about it Brodders. Would be happy to discuss it but you don't sound overly keen on participating so I'll pass. :)

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
Despite all the hot air.

In the finals series if Goodes takes a cheap shot at an opposition player there will be mass confusion. Some may automatically boo as they have done so for decades. They will be condemned as racist by many.

Many won't in fear of PC gone mad.

Many an AFL fan feels like they have been sold out and the general community accept the booing is racist. Meanwhile the atmosphere that has been drained from our game first to make it family friendly, now suffers another blow.

Golf clapps allround please.

Meanwhile over at the world game the atmosphere is like a festival. As we penalise players for tackling to hard to stop the mums from getting their kids to play the world game. Crowds are disappearing in the mist as the AFL has artificially kept clubs with low supporter bases competitive while the power clubs are all crumbling. Ironically after 33 years of been the comps laughing stock, we are finally ready for a genuine assault.

When they take the hardness out of the game, the coach's have turned it into British bulldog/ basketball hybrid. One on one contests are gone, Ruck contests are being attacked and you can no longer stand on the mark or take a free kick without congestion.

The Bump is dead, full forward an endangered species.

The atmosphere is gone and so have the crowds.

For me the issue was never about race. Its about football. Your deeds on the field and the color of your jumper is all that matters. Thats all changed now. You can no longer judge a player like any other player if is he is indigenous.

That is racist. Political correctness is killing the game. Meanwhile indigenous people still live in substandard conditions. Still excluded from many community, still suffer terrible health conditions.

Any off the righteous ever had an indigenous person over for dinner? Endeavoured to help the homeless indigenous family with shelter? Voted for improved social conditions for the disadvantaged no matter what their colour or do you vote for the liberal or labour party?

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
rosy23 said:

I'm not tigersnake but its clearly the cultural narrative of the Australian indigenous communities in general.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
IanG said:
I'm not tigersnake but its clearly the cultural narrative of the Australian indigenous communities in general.

It's not clear to me. Snake had a crack at TT when she posted her opinion telling her she can speak for herself and not the entire AFL community. "THE narrative" sounds very specific. Surely it's not lumping opinions and feelings of all indigenous communities in general together is it?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
If we happened to play Sydney in the finals I'd boo Goodes since he's admitted it affects him and worries about the effect on his teammates. It'd be all about winning the game and nothing to do with racism.

Which is what I think the AFL is concerned about - its precious finals series. They didn't want Essendon tainting it in 2013 and they don't want booing/pseudo-racism to do it this year. However with Sydney looking every chance to go to Perth, I think it's inevitable.

bruntonave.

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 18, 2010
rosy23 said:
I still don't get it. "THE narrative" is very specific.

We're going to be asked to vote on this in the medium term future.

The referendum will not be put until it has bipartisan support.

It won't get bipartisan support unless it's a consensus in the indigenous community.

But once it's done, the form of words will embody a narrative. The narrative.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
ninjahaha said:
Any off the righteous ever had an indigenous person over for dinner? Endeavoured to help the homeless indigenous family with shelter? Voted for improved social conditions for the disadvantaged no matter what their colour or do you vote for the liberal or labour party?
Probably not but the hash tagged #istandwithadam and liked him on Facebook so to be fair you can't be more of an activist than that.......

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
tigertim said:
Probably not but the hash tagged #istandwithadam and liked him on Facebook so to be fair you can't be more of an activist than that.......

Job done. We can all feel good about ourselves.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
ninjahaha said:

Right, now I get it. If I'm nice to an indigenous person I be racist and then say, "but look I was nice to that indigenous person so I'm not capable of racism". Cool. This race relations stuff is easy.