Re: Adam Goodes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: Adam Goodes

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Hear the same thing when you stick up for asylum seekers or homeless people.

"But have you ever had them over for for dinner or put them up in your house?"

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
If we happened to play Sydney in the finals I'd boo Goodes since he's admitted it affects him and worries about the effect on his teammates. It'd be all about winning the game and nothing to do with racism.

/quote]

Exactly, thats why your average AFL fan is not happy about being eagerly thrown in front of the PC bus. It is read as fact now that booing Adam is racist.

There will be outrage if he gets booed again.

The game and atmosphere is changed forever. Political correctness again the only beneficiary.

ninjahaha

Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
KnightersRevenge said:
Right, now I get it. If I'm nice to an indigenous person I be racist and then say, "but look I was nice to that indigenous person so I'm not capable of racism". Cool. This race relations stuff is easy.

If you improve(even try) the conditions for one indigenous person you are on the right track.

Judging another person for what they say or write as racist, especially if that person has helped an indigenous person is self righteous especially if you are not doing anything to change the conditions of indigenous people other than call others racist.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
ninjahaha said:
If you improve(even try) the conditions for one indigenous person you are on the right track.

Judging another person for what they say or write as racist, especially if that person has helped an indigenous person is self righteous especially if you are not doing anything to change the conditions of indigenous people other than call others racist.

Nope. You've got yourself all crossed up my dark and stealthy friend. If you do or say something racist your past actions (or future ones) are immaterial. You are still responsible for the thing you said or did. It's a bit like catholics going to confession then being horrible people all week, then back to confession. The one does not erase the other.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
KnightersRevenge said:
Nope. You've got yourself all crossed up my dark and stealthy friend. If you do or say something racist your past actions (or future ones) are immaterial. You are still responsible for the thing you said or did. It's a bit like catholics going to confession then being horrible people all week, then back to confession. The one does not erase the other.

He mentioned being judged as racist rather than actually doing or saying something racist. No matter how other people choose to judge or label you it doesn't make it fact.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Adam seems to love calling the shots. He wants people to move on now. Last week he said he wanted people to discuss it.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I sometimes visit a place where old aboriginal stone axe was left abandoned lifetimes ago. The stone is sharp as. It has a deep worn area from thumbs rubbing in it over the years. It's had a lot of use. I feel different when I go to that place or handle that stone. It's a very spiritual thing. To have that small link to our original country people is so special.

I wonder if Aboriginals now would prefer to still live that primitive lifestyle if they had the choice. Has the advent of white man improved their lives at all over the years. Are we headed in the right direction for their best interests. Is there any benefit to dwelling on the terrible past. It should never be forgotten and it should be acknowledged but it can't be changed. The future certainly can though. It seems sometimes all we hear are negatives. I sincerely hope there are far more positives even if they're not so popular as a topic of discussion.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
rosy23 said:
I sometimes visit a place where old aboriginal stone axe was left abandoned lifetimes ago. The stone is sharp as. It has a deep worn area from thumbs rubbing in it over the years. It's had a lot of use. I feel different when I go to that place or handle that stone. It's a very spiritual thing. To have that small link to our original country people is so special.

I wonder if Aboriginals now would prefer to still live that primitive lifestyle if they had the choice. Has the advent of white man improved their lives at all over the years. Are we headed in the right direction for their best interests. Is there any benefit to dwelling on the terrible past. It should never be forgotten and it should be acknowledged but it can't be changed. The future certainly can though. It seems sometimes all we hear are negatives. I sincerely hope there are far more positives even if they're not so popular as a topic of discussion.

I am reading (slowly) a very, very interesting book which shows how life for homo sapiens started to go downhill from the point of the Agricultural Revolution. With the points the author makes, it is pretty hard to disagree.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Tigers of Old said:
Adam's come out and said he hopes everyone can move on. I sincerely hope that they can.

The message loud and clear from the weekend was 'enough'. I hope it was heard.

ninjahaha

Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
KnightersRevenge said:
the debate is a little confusing. As we are all thinking and talking.

in a nutshell...

Our actions are what counts.

the way many indiginous people live due to racism is what needs to be addressed. To me many are mre concerned with judging pointing fingers. That does not make you part of the solution.

But we all should just move on apparently. Meanwhile what real change as happened.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
jb03 said:
Reckon Goodes will get a great reception from the Cat fans.

Hopefully, but I wouldn't be surprised of the odd larrikin or two in the stands. First one to boo will be shot at point blank. ;D

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
TigerForce said:
Hopefully, but I wouldn't be surprised of the odd larrikin or two in the stands. First one to boo will be shot at point blank. ;D
Geelong mayor Darren Lyons wants anyone booing Adam to be evicted from the ground and banned.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
K3 said:
I am reading (slowly) a very, very interesting book which shows how life for homo sapiens started to go downhill from the point of the Agricultural Revolution. With the points the author makes, it is pretty hard to disagree.
Yeah daily struggle for survival, hand to mouth existence and dead before 30, sounds awesome.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Giardiasis said:
Yeah daily struggle for survival, hand to mouth existence and dead before 30, sounds awesome.

I listened to a podcast with a religious historian who wrote "The Gluten Lie" about the similarity between diet spruikers and shamans, Chinese traditional healers etc...he spoke about the error in thinking that leads to the idea of "paradise past". Many talk about Australia's Indigenous returning to a hunter gatherer existence as though this is an option. A choice. For most that link is gone. The culture was broken down their oral histories and attachment to country and family so they now live in kind of limbo between that simpler time, a world they can't go back to and a world they don't quite belong to, IMO.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
tigertim said:
Geelong mayor Darren Lyons wants anyone booing Adam to be evicted from the ground and banned.

Might as well colour that mohawk with yellow, red and black.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Giardiasis said:

:hihi

Don't forget being preyed upon by rather large feline/canine/ursine carnivores and having other nomadic tribes stealing your women and clubbing you over the head if you disagree.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
ninjahaha said:
For me the issue was never about race. Its about football. Your deeds on the field and the color of your jumper is all that matters. Thats all changed now. You can no longer judge a player like any other player if is he is indigenous.

You blokes might be too young to remember, but I remember going to the footy in the early 80s - the racist nonsense that indigenous players (and umpire Glenn James) copped at that time was vitriolic. Of course, no-one tried to ban it then - it was just accepted as part of the footy. If it had been banned then people would have used the same tired old excuses - "they are just blowing off steam, it's my right to scream and shout at the football, I'm not really racist, honest".

It wasn't til Nicky Winmar made his stand against Collingwood that the broader football community started to change its view on these sorts of things.

If you are claiming that it was always just about football and you want to return to those times, you are dead wrong and have no understanding of even recent history.