Re: Adam Goodes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: Adam Goodes

antman said:
If you are claiming that it was always just about football and you want to return to those times, you are dead wrong and have no understanding of even recent history.

I don't think ninja said it was always just about football did he? The angle I've come from about Goodes here is mainly about football and the way he's politicised and divided it. It's blown up into a massive issue that probably doesn't represent the facts. No doubt there are many serious issues out there that need to be addressed but intimidating the crowd with a pseudo war dance isn't the way to do it imo. I don't like the way indigenous players are now given different consideration to other players. Some might think it's good. I respect that. Each to their own but I don't. I think it could potentially open up a can of worms. There are a lot of issues in the world to worry about. Poverty, climate change, disease etc etc. To me footy was a release from that kind of thing. A game to relax and enjoy. It's not any more.

This is one of the reasons why I see the Goodes thing as a big deal that goes beyond footy. Sport has been one of the major avenues for indigenous people to demonstrate their "worth" to society and for many people it's their only experience of Indigenous Australians. IMO of course.

KnightersRevenge said:
There are those that refuse to see past some of Goodes behaviour at the issues that he and others are trying to highlight.

To me this thread is about Adam in relation to his football career. I hope he stops being so confrontational on the footy field and goes on to unite people in his quest rather than alienate them.

antman said:
football has never really been the inclusive nirvana that some on this thread claim it was.

And some would claim that NONE of those who boo are racist - are they being naive, or merely disingenuous?

Has anyone really claimed either of those things?

Hi Rosy

I completely understand the point of view that sport and politics don't mix and you want to keep them separate. My take though is sport is political, politics has always intruded into sport and it always will.

antman said:
Hi Rosy

I completely understand the point of view that sport and politics don't mix and you want to keep them separate. My take though is sport is political, politics has always intruded into sport and it always will.

As I said I respect others' rights to their opinions ant. I have no issues with that. Sometimes some don't afford me the same luxury though. :hihi

[quote author=rosy23]

Has anyone really claimed either of those things?
[/quote]

Andrew Bolt, Sam Newman, Alan Jones, Matt Price, a million tweets, Facebook posts and comments to newspaper sites and that's not even looking into this thread.

antman said:
Andrew Bolt, Sam Newman, Alan Jones, Matt Price, a million tweets, Facebook posts and comments to newspaper sites and that's not even looking into this thread.

I haven't read those sources. I was more interested in you referring to the comments on here. I don't recall those things being said. Of course nobody can claim NONE of the people are racist same as others can't claim most are racist.

Giardiasis said:
I don't really need to if it claims that life was better for humans before the division of labour. What nonsense.

Suppose that depends on what you consider to make up 'quality of life'. Tied to banks for life. Tied to an employer to survive. Being taught how to be good little servants, from primary school age. Being pushed hither and tither according to what the .01% what to happen, for them, in the world...

Rock on hey!

rosy23 said:
I haven't read those sources. I was more interested in you referring to the comments on here. I don't recall those things being said. Of course nobody can claim NONE of the people are racist same as others can't claim most are racist.
I dont think Ive heard anyone say NONE of the booing was racially motivated. Pretty sure even Bolty said some of it was racially motivated.

K3 said:
Suppose that depends on what you consider to make up 'quality of life'. Tied to banks for life. Tied to an employer to survive. Being taught how to be good little servants, from primary school age. Being pushed hither and tither according to what the .01% what to happen, for them, in the world...

Rock on hey!

I'll take the option that allows me to have a few beers at the footy.

K3 said:

Rock on hey!

What's your attitude to high infant mortality, being eaten by predators, or being killed by the alpha male of the tribe because you wanted a quickie with one of his harem?

antman said:
What's your attitude to high infant mortality, being eaten by predators, or being killed by the alpha male of the tribe because you wanted a quickie with one of his harem?

Funnily, I only came back to remove the post as it is waaay OT for the Adam Goodes thread buut since you asked...

I think there are positives, and negatives, on both sides. My points were more to do with being fitter, healthier and at a much lesser risk of diseases, a great portion of which have been created by environments put in place since the Ag Revolution. Not saying either is all good, or all bad, but there certainly were positives of living life out on the range that we could take some lessons from today.

mmmmmm... harem....

mld said:
I'll take the option that allows me to have a few beers at the footy.

That could be trickier though... ;D Having said that, there are still some 'semi' nomadic peoples who get together for a good game of 'stuffing filled goat chucking', wrestling, and other communal events. I wonder if they stock a good stout...?

Tigers of Old said:
I see Robbo and his minions have continued their attack on Fitzpatrick today by digging up an old story. Clear agenda here, this isn't about Goodes now.

It was always going to come back to Hirdy

K3 said:

Rock on hey!
Yes that is a better alternative to autarky.

Giardiasis said:
Yes that is a better alternative to autarky.

I was referring, a lot more, to the individual than the community they live in. Having said that, I think if Australia achieved a state of Autarky it wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Autarky: is the quality of being self-sufficient.

Right, carry on.....

tigertim said:
I dont think Ive heard anyone say NONE of the booing was racially motivated. Pretty sure even Bolty said some of it was racially motivated.

Yeah it was antman's claim. I certainly haven't heard it said.

K3 said:
I was referring, a lot more, to the individual than the community they live in. Having said that, I think if Australia achieved a state of Autarky it wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
When I said Autarky, I meant the breakdown of the division of labour where all labour is directed towards hand-to-mouth food production. Only a recluse would think this a desirable situation, or others that are not appreciating how brutal life would be. As the vast majority of people want to improve their material well being, autarky is certainly not a good thing to aim for as individuals and as a society.

On a side note, people aren't fitter and healthier under autarky. People today have access to food, shelter and medicine that has stretched the average life span by over 100%.