Re: Adam Goodes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: Adam Goodes

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It obviously leaked out.

Pretty hard to keep it secret. He's eligible after five years and someone is going to ask why Goodes wasn't straight in.
He didn't ask for his decision to kept secret forever, just until after the inductees had been announced and inducted.

That would keep the Robbo types, who wouldn't be able to put 3 and 3 together unless they borrowed someone else's hand, from speculating and debating the matter.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Would I want to go back into a workplace that made me feel uncomfortable? To get all the same questions again?

Just to get a shiny plaque and allow those that wronged me some sort of redemption?

Nah.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He didn't ask for his decision to kept secret forever, just until after the inductees had been announced and inducted.

That would keep the Robbo types, who wouldn't be able to put 3 and 3 together unless they borrowed someone else's hand, from speculating and debating the matter.
I read in one report SBS there was a story in the Herald Sun Friday that mentioned something about it, so Lee is right, it was going to leak so the AFL decide to release it formally. Whether they OK this with Goodes first who knows.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I read in one report SBS there was a story in the Herald Sun Friday that mentioned something about it, so Lee is right, it was going to leak so the AFL decide to release it formally. Whether they OK this with Goodes first who knows.

Hopefully they have learned enough to run this past Adam Goodes first.

It's just adding his name to the list. Nobody asked Vic Thorp if he wanted to be an Immortal.

I presume Vic Thorpe would have been deceased by the time he was added and I would expect the AFL would have talked to his descendants before any announcement.

It is more than having Goodes' name put on a list, it forever ties him to an organisation he clearly thinks let him down badly, is still being run by the same people who let him down badly and has not reformed sufficiently to have Goodes' name on their honour role.

It is not that Goodes doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, it is that the AFL does not deserve to have Goodes on that list.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It is more than having Goodes' name put on a list, it forever ties him to an organisation he clearly thinks let him down badly, is still being run by the same people who let him down badly and has not reformed sufficiently to have Goodes' name on their honour role.
Richmond FC didn’t stop for KB to come to his senses and the game won’t wait for Goodes. Perhaps he didn’t feel he could speak without invoking politics. I’m not sure the AFL should ask him again.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Richmond FC didn’t stop for KB to come to his senses and the game won’t wait for Goodes. Perhaps he didn’t feel he could speak without invoking politics. I’m not sure the AFL should ask him again.
Maybe there is no waiting with Goodes. Maybe he just never wants to have a bar of the AFL again after the way the game ran him out.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
He has been hurt by the game and doesn’t want to participate in it. Whether an individual agrees or disagrees with his position is irrelevant imo because this is about Adam Goodes and what he feels.
No one has the right to tell him how to feel.

Reactions: 6 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Adam Goodes is obviously more than deserving. The AFL should ask him every year and when he feels the time is right, he can say yes and then should be embraced.

Reactions: 5 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
We all should have done so much better at the time.

I'm pretty comfortable with how I supported Adam at the time;

I wrote him a letter;
I wrote RFC a letter
Our junior club all wore black armbands in solidarity;
I called a fair few people racist *smile* heads in real
I got banned from PRE

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
just today ive heard the POV articulated that

its not about Adam, its about the game, induct him against his will.

The Non-Consensual Legend

:rotfl1

would make a very unusual court case

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
just today ive heard the POV articulated that

its not about Adam, its about the game, induct him against his will.
Scroll back a few posts and you'll see that view was posted here yesterday.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Surely white people can still just tell black people what is going to happen for them, after all, white people know best.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
His achievements will stand for all time regardless of whether he's present at the induction function or not. Keith Greig cracked the *smile* with the AFL and the Brownlow takes place every year without his attendance.

His achievements will stand for all time whether he's inducted into the Hall of Fame or not.

He doesn't want to be inducted and the AFL won't induct him, at his request. That's it. That's all she wrote. Case closed.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Not the same but similar, i just listened to Woody Allen’s autobiography and he says he’s always offered lifetime achievements, awards etc but the catch is he has to attend to receive. He declines them as he doesn’t want to attend so he’s not awarded them. Each to their own.