Re: Adam Goodes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: Adam Goodes

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
I watched the Final Quarter last night. I don't know if the audio was turned up, but the booing was sickening. Many coaches (including Hardwick: 'at best, it's bullying, at worst, it's racism') spoke up, with no effect.

Of course, Bolt, Newman and Alan Jones would not - even now - take one step back from their positions, so I wonder how many people see the situation differently in 2019 to how they saw it in 2015?

Watching Kohli support Smith at the World Cup recently made me again wonder why the club captains did not do more. I know Cotch would be more influential than Hardwick,, for example.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Has anyone ever said that? You're clutching at straws. Keep on clutching
Omg, you’re a hypocritical goose. Read what you wrote three posts back. Actually, never mind, I’ve gone against my desire to not engage you, you’re not worth it.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Just watched it on the channel 10 app. Is on there until 17 Aug.

Not sure what to say. Bloody sad for Adam. An amazing man. Derserved so much better.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Tiger Champion
Feb 3, 2017
Watched The Australian Dream last night for the first time. Impressive documentary, pretty sad how little empathy was displayed. Sam Newman, he really is a relic. And Andrew Bolt! Maguire trying to explain his king kong gaffe was pretty laughable too.

How Goodes ended up being blamed like he did for calling out the girl was terrible. It allowed so many to show just how racist they are.

It gives me pause for thought about the language and conversations I've used and had in the past, the racist jokes and so little thought for what impact those words have. But I don't have to feel guilty about Australia's history, I just need to be aware of what it is and how it has created the situation we now live in. The disadvantage many face. And I may not be able to do much but just by being aware of my words and conversations I have I can start to make a difference. A bit like changing how we talk about girls/women can have a big influence on behaviours towards girls/women for the next generations of young men.

I know my children are receiving a much more full education in regards to Australian history and have much greater empathy towards indigenous Australians.

Stan Grant is a man well worth listening to.

Reactions: 7 users

aoc1974

Tiger Superstar
Mar 1, 2015
Watched it the other night @MD Jazz and found it to be thought provoking on a lot of levels.
Certainly gave me a greater understanding as to what went on at the time and the affect it had on Adam Goodes. Bloody sad.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Watched The Australian Dream last night for the first time. Impressive documentary, pretty sad how little empathy was displayed. Sam Newman, he really is a relic. And Andrew Bolt! Maguire trying to explain his king kong gaffe was pretty laughable too.

How Goodes ended up being blamed like he did for calling out the girl was terrible. It allowed so many to show just how racist they are.

It gives me pause for thought about the language and conversations I've used and had in the past, the racist jokes and so little thought for what impact those words have. But I don't have to feel guilty about Australia's history, I just need to be aware of what it is and how it has created the situation we now live in. The disadvantage many face. And I may not be able to do much but just by being aware of my words and conversations I have I can start to make a difference. A bit like changing how we talk about girls/women can have a big influence on behaviours towards girls/women for the next generations of young men.

I know my children are receiving a much more full education in regards to Australian history and have much greater empathy towards indigenous Australians.

Stan Grant is a man well worth listening to.
Well put and it was a good doco.

I remember thinking about all that talk of guilt some years ago and ended up being convinced that most of the people talking about guilt were those claiming we should not feel guilt. I can't remember indigenous leaders telling us we should feel guilty, or anyone else for that matter.

Excepting those who are indigenous, we all come here from different places, and can only trace our ancestry back a max of 230 years. My family likely came here sometime in the 19th century, as far as I can tell my great grandfather would be the first relative of mine born here. So where does that leave me? After much thought I came to the conclusion that guilt is just a distraction. Every day I live in this country I benefit from the dispossession of Aboriginal Australians - if I want to take the benefits of living here I also need to take the responsibility of how I came to live here, and that means advocating for aboriginal causes so they no longer face disadvantage and discrimination.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Took the chance to rewatch the Goodes documentary while in purgatory.

Maybe it's because of the time in the world but it just seemed extra heart breaking.

It's such a shame that a cohort of people in our society that are so amazingly confident of their own intellect and judgement, are responsible for the eradication of kindness and generosity of spirit.

Boat people, Donald Trump, Tony Abbott, Climate change, Alan Jones, Brexit, Andrew Bolt, Muslims and Corona. We didn't start the fire indeed.

Reactions: 1 users