Reece Conca - so long and thanks for all the fish | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Reece Conca - so long and thanks for all the fish

Re: Pick 6: Reece "Squirrel" Conca

So if Polec was available i wonder if we would have still taken Conca

French Tiger said:
So if Polec was available i wonder if we would have still taken Conca

No. We never rated Polec at pick 6 despite what the media was saying. We didn't rate his kicking was what I was told. I differed from that opinion but you have to trust the club on that.

I dare say, unless Swallow or Day slipped, there was no one else we would of taken at 6.

Francis has said he was watching Conca since Round One and knew back then he was a top ten pick. Since they have seen every single one of his games. Dare say he was the one we wanted.

The question is did we see every game of the other players we had the opportunity of getting. I'm not saying it was the wrong choice but there's no getting around the fact FJ is going to get crucified if Heppell or Caddy become stars are Conca doesn't make it.

Disco08 said:
The question is did we see every game of the other players we had the opportunity of getting. I'm not saying it was the wrong choice but there's no getting around the fact FJ is going to get crucified if Heppell or Caddy become stars are Conca doesn't make it.

Of course, but does he get a medal if Conca is a star and the other two are just players?

All recruiters are under the same pressure.

He would of seen everyother player we had on our list and put them through the same assessment as Conca got. Reading what Francis is saying, Conca excelled in front of everyone on a lot of our testing results.

There is no doubt listening and watching Francis, you can tell he got the man he wanted and is confident that he will be the player they envision and fit into our structure.

Tigerbob said:
There is no doubt listening and watching Francis, you can tell he got the man he wanted and is confident that he will be the player they envision and fit into our structure.

Curious to know if FJ also had a soft spot for Heppell, there's been a lot of talk about our interest since his u/16 days?

Tigerbob said:
Of course, but does he get a medal if Conca is a star and the other two are just players?

He would of seen everyother player we had on our list and put them through the same assessment as Conca got. Reading what Francis is saying, Conca excelled in front of everyone on a lot of our testing results.

Yeah, his stock will go up quite a bit if Conca turns out better than those taken right after him no doubt.

Watching the (RFC) highlights for the squirrel and he actually knows how to shepherd for team mates, wonder how long he will keep being able to do that, we really need to get better at this kind of stuff...

:)

Seems he can tackle too.

Disco08 said:

Same for all recruiters no matter which club.

I realise that, but in this case it's going to be exaggerated because of the perception they took Conca earlier than expected, passing up guys many think were more worthy of pick 6. Not that I agree with any of that, but it's going to be the case, no doubt.

What internet forums think is of no consequence, it comes down to results. I read somewhere that Malthouse was cheesed off at their recruiters for missing Barlow.

ToraToraTora said:
I've just watched the Conca highlights. C.L.A.S.S. The only thing he doesn't seem to do is send a 45m bullet pass ala Hodge/Martin. The rest, he's got well covered. Fantastic drafting.
How TTT? I have the scorpians ready.

Disco08 said:
I realise that, but in this case it's going to be exaggerated because of the perception they took Conca earlier than expected, passing up guys many think were more worthy of pick 6. Not that I agree with any of that, but it's going to be the case, no doubt.

It might be ambiguous- I can't answer who I would rather out of Zibell or Sidebottom.

frickenel said:
I don't think JR will mind too much having this guy in the mid field.
Poor Richo will be thinking he was born 17yrs to early.He,d be licking his lips at the prospect of actually getting the ball delivered on his chest 9/10 times with Cotch,Martin,Conca and Lids.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
It might be ambiguous- I can't answer who I would rather out of Zibell or Sidebottom.

Sidey all the way for mine, but I understand what you mean.

If we win a flag and Conca is there helping that achievement, well it was worth it. Pieces to the puzzle. Guys who fit the system. That's what is required.

Tigerbob said:

It does seem a little odd we would pick a player a year/season out and mark him as a top 10 and watch him almost exlcusively for that pick.

Not saying the pick is wrong, but the methodology just seems a little strange.

How fo you know we watched him almost exclusively ?

I'm hoping that in 5 years time, when people talk about the Curse of Pick 6, they all start with "except for Reece Conca...."

Remind you of anyone?

conca_246c.jpg

jb03 said:
It does seem a little odd we would pick a player a year/season out and mark him as a top 10 and watch him almost exlcusively for that pick.

Not saying the pick is wrong, but the methodology just seems a little strange.

Not clear on what you mean mate?

What I heard from an interview was Frank knew he was a top ten talent when he saw him in Round One. In other words was blown away by his talent.

Since then he has watched all his games, just like he would have done with all his highly rated guys, and put through the kid a series of tests just like he would have with every other highly rated kid. From those findings Conca came out on top in most of them.

It wasn't like he saw Conca in Round One and exclusively watched only him and only put him through the testing because he liked what he saw all the way back then and pencilled him in for our first pick. I think Frank and our recruits deserve a bit more respect than that.

Baloo said:
How fo you know we watched him almost exclusively ?

I'm hoping that in 5 years time, when people talk about the Curse of Pick 6, they all start with "except for Reece Conca...."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/105377/default.aspx

“We’ve been very keen on Reece since Round 1 of the WAFL this year. I saw him (in the colts) against East Fremantle, where he had 35 touches and dominated,” Jackson said.

“All-up, he played only seven colts games this year, one in which he was injured, yet still managed to finish equal sixth in the competition’s Jack Clarke Medal, after six best-on-ground performances.

“He’s just such a well-rounded player. He’s got high endurance, really good speed and outstanding lateral movement and awareness. I’m sure that his peripheral awareness, and understanding of what’s happening around him, is a direct result of him playing soccer up until the age of 13.

“Not only does he win a lot of the ball, he’s a very, very good user of it. Out of all the kicking profiles that we’ve done, his is the best. He can take a good mark, his decision-making is outstanding, and his ability to win one-on-one footy, as well as win outside footy, is just a joy to watch.

We’ve tracked his progress closely all year, watched him play live every game, and he doesn’t appear to have any weaknesses.

We gave all our psych tests from the Draft Combine at the end of the season to the Club’s psychologist, Kim Stephens. He didn’t know any of the players - all he had was 30 names, with 30 psych profiles for different tests - and Reece came out No. 1.

“So, he’s the complete package . . . an outstanding kid

We even had to hide our interest from former Richmond player, Brian Leys, who is the CEO of Perth, because we were so keen on him and didn’t want other clubs finding out.”

The last part is what interests me the most, The club clearly had there sights set on this guy for a long long time, FJ must seriously rate this kid if they went trough the trouble of trying to hide him from other clubs.

Personally I think this is a great pickup the club did there own homework on potential draftees and put in alot of time and effort to each and every single one of the picks used.