Reece Conca - so long and thanks for all the fish | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Reece Conca - so long and thanks for all the fish

Re: Pick 6: Reece "Squirrel" Conca

TigerFurious said:
Conca looks really promising from the highlights package. Great to hear the club saw every game he played live.

Does anyone have his results from the draft combine?
He didn't do the combine because his foot was in a moon boot. He tested really well on reflexes and decision making is the report.. which I think means him and Hardwick played PS3 at some point during the meeting.

BrisTiger24 said:
Didn't test in the physical tests as he was injured (spurs on his foot from memory). Excelled in the reflex tests and in the club interview though apparently.
I should have scrolled down... BrisTiger already had this covered. Sorry for the duplication .. though I did try to add a little bit of humour... points for effort? :)

i wish i could see the highlights reel, i keep being redirected to aissiesport sight then asked to pay to watch :-\

Aussiesport tv makes me wanna put scorpions in Adrian Anderson's underpants.
Fear not blx, help is on the way

I've just watched the Conca highlights. C.L.A.S.S. *smile*. The only thing he doesn't seem to do is send a 45m bullet pass ala Hodge/Martin. The rest, he's got well covered. Fantastic drafting.

I hope polec turns out to be a McMahon clone,or a cross between McMahon-jon hybrid.

He does move like McMahon,only he has polo's head.

Cant see conca,being anything less than a good player,with polished skill.

He has too much going for him,to end up like jon.

Conca has played against men,jon was picked from a highlights package,didnt get to see the 100 or so stuff ups,and he only played against kids.

Conca,is on reflection a very great get.

Well done FJ,i am sure you will be justified in the long term.(And i think he knew that 6 months ago)

The non vanilla factor of Conca for me is decision making , love the way he holds on to the ball until it's the right time to release it, wears a bump when he has too, dosent just go first option, simply seems to go to the player in best position and then he runs to support again and start the process again

Agree, the highlights package show a guy who does the basics extremely well. Neat skills, and love the fact he has a great first step and superb balance. Appeared to be out of position a couple of times but won the ball. That's talent. Phantom may be eating his words. (is he still around, would be a poorer PRE without him)

Shows leadership which is what a young team needs.

Creates play, reminds me of Cuz a bit, im very excited from what ive seen.

tigertigertigertiger said:
I hope polec turns out to be a McMahon clone,or a cross between McMahon-jon hybrid.

He does move like McMahon,only he has polo's head.

Cant see conca,being anything less than a good player,with polished skill.

He has too much going for him,to end up like jon.

Conca has played against men,jon was picked from a highlights package,didnt get to see the 100 or so stuff ups,and he only played against kids.

Conca,is on reflection a very great get.

Well done FJ,i am sure you will be justified in the long term.(And i think he knew that 6 months ago)

Polec's played seniors too and quite well I might add.

I think they'll both be good players and will probably both play from round 1.

Polec comparisons are now void because he was taken before our pick 6

The players that should be compared in years to come would have to be caddy,heppell,atley & to a lesser degree lynch who at diffrent times were talked about & linked to richmond albeit mistakenly.

The only thing i really would like to find out & cant seem to find is conca's beep,sprint,leap statts

ToraToraTora said:
Aussiesport tv makes me wanna put scorpions in Adrian Anderson's underpants.
Fear not blx, help is on the way

:rofl

I was thinking more along the lines of taipans or box jellyfish

Cannot wait for the help to arrive :clap

turk-d-tiger said:

Lets just hope Polec avoids trems.

It'll be Heppell and Conca comparisons.

What is Reece's real height?

He's at least as tall as Dimma if you look at the photo on the Richmond website.
He reminds me a bit of Matty Knights in the way that he seems to create time and space for teammates with his disposal but far quicker than Knighta across the ground. Each kick or handball opens up the play. I believe this is an absolutely inspired pick.

marsinvenus said:
Creates play, reminds me of Cuz a bit, im very excited from what ive seen.

I'm glad you said that because watching his highlights from the clubs website there were a couple of snippets of play that reminded me of Cuz.

turk-d-tiger said:

The players that should be compared in years to come would have to be caddy,heppell,atley & to a lesser degree lynch who at diffrent times were talked about & linked to richmond albeit mistakenly.

The only thing i really would like to find out & cant seem to find is conca's beep,sprint,leap statts

He was injured and didn't attend the draft combine.

turk-d-tiger said:

why does he need to be compared to anyone?? ultimately he is either a good player for richmond and a good pick, or not.

He reminds me of Cuz only much better looking!

Ok seriously, something that nobody seems to have mentioned that also stood out to me is his ability to break and stand up in tackles. I'd guess this is also important to our club because of the contested nature of our game plan. Given the strength of Martin and Cotchin in breaking through tackles, i'd imagine our centre clearance rate this coming season should be pretty hot. Tuck and Foley aren't slouches in this area either.

Another positive was the retention of possession when he went inside 50. I don't think JR will mind too much having this guy in the mid field.