Retire / Trade / Delist | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Retire / Trade / Delist

2023 whipping boy nominations are now open
Vote 1 - Castagna
Vote 2 - Mansell
Vote 3 - Hugo R Smith

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
2023 whipping boy nominations are now open
Vote 1 - Castagna
Vote 2 - Mansell
Vote 3 - Hugo R Smith
You have to play firsts to be a whipping boy

For me it will come from one of.

A) old players who’s form drops off a lot but keeps getting played - e.g. jack / grimes / cotch
B) traded in recruit makes costly errors - Taranto a risk if his kicking as bad as some say - Prestia copped it massively year 1
C) 2nd year player suffering second year blues - e,g, if sonsie drops off or Gibcus doesn’t improve from late season showings
D) tivendale / Hyde
E) short

I’ll stick with E

Reactions: 1 user
Depends how he goes next season. Possibility of him, George maybe Dow. All will be under pressure when and if they get any opportunitieS. All OOC in 2023
George, Mansell top of the potential delist list at this point. With Riewoldt, Cotch and Tarrant all sure to retire there may not be many delisting's next year.

We may look at Mitch Crowden who got cut by the Dockers yesterday.

There was a rumour a few years ago that we had a good look at him in a trade period.
Where would we play him Streaker?
Too small for onball. We have a star studded small forward brigade.
Reckon Cumberland, MRJ and Clarke ahead of him of the youngsters plus Duz and Shai.
Can't see where why we'd pick him up

Where would we play him Streaker?
Too small for onball. We have a star studded small forward brigade.
Reckon Cumberland, MRJ and Clarke ahead of him of the youngsters plus Duz and Shai.
Can't see where why we'd pick him up

Agree in general @tigerdell

I posted that in response to Butch67's query on whether we would look at any delisted players.

Crowden was the only one I could think of, simply because we had looked at possibly trading for him previously.

Would be a depth player for us, and we could do worse, but seems very unlikely we are looking for that type of player.

He is small (although slightly taller than Bakes), but he is the type of player we like. Gives it absolutely everything.

Aarts would've played more if he had more pace, and a tad more awareness.

Did his best, a very good VFL player
Needs a combination of composure and awareness of what's happening around him, like a few others. Assessment of where the danger is from opposition tacklers, where the best option is for delivery to a team mate and skill to deliver accurately by hand or foot. Too much like an "energizer bunny" wanting to dart here and there without quite knowing what he should do and just poor contested skills, especially contested marking at AFL level. His endeavour to keep trying and to rack up possessions made him a useful seconds player. That's where he and the other three have reached their right level (Stack with attitude, not talent). Some develop past that and some don't and we usually don't know who will get better until they are given a chance. Good luck in your future football endeavours.

I’m not sure we can or want to , however I wonder if we’ve considered packaging up our excellent 2 picks this year with a future pick to move up the draft this year just for the one pick

You have to play firsts to be a whipping boy

For me it will come from one of.

A) old players who’s form drops off a lot but keeps getting played - e.g. jack / grimes / cotch
B) traded in recruit makes costly errors - Taranto a risk if his kicking as bad as some say - Prestia copped it massively year 1
C) 2nd year player suffering second year blues - e,g, if sonsie drops off or Gibcus doesn’t improve from late season showings
D) tivendale / Hyde
E) short

I’ll stick with E
Anyone who chooses (A) is not a true Richmond supporter and should be banned for life from this site.
Others are fair game.:p

Last edited:
I’m not sure we can or want to , however I wonder if we’ve considered packaging up our excellent 2 picks this year with a future pick to move up the draft this year just for the one pick
Already sold our first pick next year, means we're not allowed to sell any more of next years picks. AFL honcho's won't allow clubs to sell off their long term future

33 - Senior listed players including pickett , Taranto & Hopper
4 - Rookie listed players (Mansell , Biggy , Miller , Bauer)
1- Cat B Rookie listed player (Mate' Colina)

I believe we need to have min 36 senior listed players which would mean either we select 3 players at the draft or we senior list 1 more player likely to be Miller which would leave us with 3 Rookies on the rookie A list

so most likely we take
2 players at the ND with picks #53 + #63 or 1 in the draft and 1 pre season draft if we decide to have train on players
2 Rookie list players which would allow 1 spot for mid season draft

Agree in general @tigerdell

I posted that in response to Butch67's query on whether we would look at any delisted players.

Crowden was the only one I could think of, simply because we had looked at possibly trading for him previously.

Would be a depth player for us, and we could do worse, but seems very unlikely we are looking for that type of player.

He is small (although slightly taller than Bakes), but he is the type of player we like. Gives it absolutely everything.
Maybe as an Aarts replacement?
Especially if we don't keep Aarts in the vfl program!

But we can agree that it's unlikely.
With Taranto and Hopper we,ve filled the age gap, so it's likely we go for youngsters and project rookies

33 - Senior listed players including pickett , Taranto & Hopper
4 - Rookie listed players (Mansell , Biggy , Miller , Bauer)
1- Cat B Rookie listed player (Mate' Colina)

I believe we need to have min 36 senior listed players which would mean either we select 3 players at the draft or we senior list 1 more player likely to be Miller which would leave us with 3 Rookies on the rookie A list

so most likely we take
2 players at the ND with picks #53 + #63 or 1 in the draft and 1 pre season draft if we decide to have train on players
2 Rookie list players which would allow 1 spot for mid season draft
Mansell was upgraded to main list in August last year

Presently we have

33 on main list
4 Rookies, Miller, Marlion ( needs to be & will be upgraded at list lodgement time) Bauer & Biggie
1 Cat B, Colina

The list rules last 2 years were
Minimum 37 players all up on list
Maximum 44 players all up on list inc 2 Cat B
Minimum 36 & max 38 on main list
4-6 Cat A Rookies
2 Cat B Rookies

Mansell was upgraded to main list in August last year

Presently we have

33 on main list
4 Rookies, Miller, Marlion ( needs to be & will be upgraded at list lodgement time) Bauer & Biggie
1 Cat B, Colina

The list rules last 2 years were
Minimum 37 players all up on list
Maximum 44 players all up on list inc 2 Cat B
Minimum 36 & max 38 on main list
4-6 Cat A Rookies
2 Cat B Rookies
Is both Miller and Pickett required to be upgraded or just Pickett?

I just saw James Rowe got delisted. I am surprised by that. Not the worst player to bring onto your rookie list.

Yeah me too. He has good pace and good goal sense. 23 years old. Depending on what the recruiting team are after, I wouldn't say no to Rowe, would be a handy rookie pickup.

Mitch Wallis delisted. Unlucky. Still has a lot to offer a club, not necessarily ours.