Retire / Trade / Delist | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Retire / Trade / Delist

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Me too. He'll get a gig somewhere
Correct.
And we will regret it.
But onwards and upwards. Club must have someone in their sights.

Richmond Football Club has informed players Jake Aarts, Sydney Stack, Riley Collier-Dawkins, and Will Martyn that they will not be offered contracts for the 2023 season.

Aarts was drafted to Richmond with the Club’s first pick in the 2019 AFL Rookie Draft after an impressive stint playing with the Club’s VFL team.

The small forward/midfielder played 42 games at AFL level across four seasons, booting 34 goals. Aarts featured at AFL level on seven occasions in 2022.

19GeRi21MW0738.jpg

Richmond selected Stack as a Supplemental Signing in the 2019 pre-season, having moved across from Western Australia after missing out at the 2018 AFL National and Rookie Draft’s.

Stack played 35 games for the Tigers in his four seasons, winning the Cosgrove-Jenkins Award as the best first-year player and the VFL premiership in his first year.

10RiEs19QR360099782.JPG

Collier-Dawkins managed 11 matches across four seasons for Richmond, also featuring in the 2019 VFL premiership.

The 22-year-old, selected with pick No.20 overall at the 2018 National Draft, played two games this season.

Martyn spent three years on Richmond’s list after being selected with the Club’s third pick (No. 44 overall) at the 2019 AFL National Draft.

The midfielder/defender played all three of his career AFL games last season, a year he was also awarded the Guinane Medal as Richmond VFL best and fairest.

VFL10WiRi21MW0813.JPG

Richmond General Manager- Football Talent Blair Hartley thanked all players for their contributions to the Club.

“We appreciated the hard work and commitment that Jake, Sydney, Will, and Riley put in across multiple years with us,” he said.

“Each have played their part in our recent success, and we wish them all well for the future.”

Reactions: 1 users

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Couldabeen champs are couldabeen for a reason. Stacky a gun on his day, but can't keep carrying blokes with issues who do themselves no favours. Hopefully comes back in great shape and more mature and gets picked up

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Correct.
And we will regret it.
Maybe, but it's not possible to predict how things pan out. He might need this massive klick in the arse to pull his finger out and make footy a priority. We wouldn't have delisted him if his head was in the right place for a professional AFL player.

Stengle a similar story. I don't regret that we let him go cheap. He needed a couple of kicks before he started taking footy seriously.

Reactions: 3 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
All very good VFL players

Stack has the x-factor that we just didn't see enough of ... bummer ...

if Naish got another chance, you'd think these 4 will..?

Reactions: 1 user

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
Of all of those, Aarts is the one that surprises me. Dominant VFL player, more than competent AFL player. I tend to think his delisting says more about our list than it does about him - hope he gets picked up elsewhere.

RCD and Martyn I can understand - solid VFL players, but seem to have found their level. If they get a chance with another club, hopefully the change of scenery spurs them on to bigger and better things.

As for Stack, well, I get it. The consistency isn't there - and I'm not talking about over a season (although that's also the case), I'm talking about during games. Even in his better games he'll do some great stuff, and then go missing for a half. He could be anything, but if it hasn't happened in our environment yet with all the support he has around him, I don't see why we'd expect it to change next year. Maybe he's another Stengle and needs to learn some life lessons along the way, maybe he's already working his guts out and it's just not happening for him. Either way, I think a change will be good for him.

Anyway, thanks and best wishes to Jake, Riley, Will and Sydney - here's hoping they get a chance to prove all the naysayers wrong.

Reactions: 6 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I'm not surprised any of these guys got delisted. They've had a fair amount of opportunities past the covid lockdown impact.

They've all got a degree of talent, but lack something else. Maybe, Athleticism, dedication, composure at the level. I think a couple could possibly get another try, but happy if the club thinks that opportunity is best given somewhere else.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Besides Stacky's 44 the other three gone are all sixes: 16, 26 and 36 available.

I reckon we jumped the gun giving Aarts 16 so quickly.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I'm not surprised any of these guys got delisted. They've had a fair amount of opportunities past the covid lockdown impact.

They've all got a degree of talent, but lack something else. Maybe, Athleticism, dedication, composure at the level. I think a couple could possibly get another try, but happy if the club thinks that opportunity is best given somewhere else.
Yeah I agree. I think Stack has the talent but not the professionalism. The others don’t have the talent. People kept backing him in - which was fair enough - but I’d seen enough of Dawkins 2 years ago. He had more deficiencies that just his lack of tank.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

Yes agree. Aartsy had some good moments during his career, but not quite good enough. Martyn and RCD just not good enough. Stacky makes me sad, has the talent and toughness but not the hard graft. I think his best hope is to go back and play state league wherever, realise his chance is passing him by and pull his finger out, and get a Marlion-like mature call-up in a couple of years. I really hope he does anyway. If he gets picked by another AFL club straight away I fear it will be more of the same.

Reactions: 1 users

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
With the delistings and trades done am I correct in that we have 5 picks in natIona and rookie draft

on Taranto, Hopper, Bauer

off Caddy, Lambert, Edwards, Parker, Aarts, Stack, Martyn, Collier-Dawkins

5 picks at this stage after pick 50 seems a lot

will we invest more in rookie draft and upgrade Pickett and Miller

Dont think there is any delisted players of interest, maybe Tyler Brown or Daniel Howe as a tagger if any

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Maybe, but it's not possible to predict how things pan out. He might need this massive klick in the arse to pull his finger out and make footy a priority. We wouldn't have delisted him if his head was in the right place for a professional AFL player.

Stengle a similar story. I don't regret that we let him go cheap. He needed a couple of kicks before he started taking footy seriously.
totally agree, if he stayed, nothings changes... always waiting for the improvement and hard work. Now, if he wants it, he will make. A win-win for Richmond and another club. If he was fair dinkum, he would of trained his arse off, hung out with the brothers, asking them to push him through the hard yards. I say, Win - Win, we punt on a newbie.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Aarts would've played more if he had more pace, and a tad more awareness.

Did his best, a very good VFL player

Reactions: 6 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
totally agree, if he stayed, nothings changes... always waiting for the improvement and hard work. Now, if he wants it, he will make. A win-win for Richmond and another club. If he was fair dinkum, he would of trained his arse off, hung out with the brothers, asking them to push him through the hard yards. I say, Win - Win, we punt on a newbie.

That’s a good way to think of it.
I was for keeping Stack but a good scenario from here would be that he does make a good career for himself at another club (eg WCE Freo or Adelaide)
But meanwhile we end up with some absolute guns from the likes of Sonsie, Banks, Brown, Judson plus the newbies we draft shortly.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
All had promise and have had their chances at the club but for whatever reason were unable to take them. Maybe another club will suit them better, but we can't continue with list blockers if we are serious in our premiership ambitions again