RFC - FORTY YEARS AGO, 1967 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

RFC - FORTY YEARS AGO, 1967

“I thought we were gone”

“We went out there to win at all costs, but in the last quarter I thought we might lose . . .”
Richmond centreman BILL BARROT writes his story of the VFL Grand Final,
as told to John Craven (Footy Close-up).

Cats had more class

I’m still bubbling over from our Richmond premiership win. I’m tired and the full impact still hasn’t hit me yet — IT WAS THE THRILL OF A LIFETIME.

Only a person who has played in a premiership side can appreciate what I mean. You sweat and you strain, you give it everything you’ve got, and finally it’s all worth it.

Everyone is still talking about what a great spectacle it was, and all the brilliant passages of play. But, believe me, it was hard, very hard.

We went out there to win at all costs —there is no second prize in a Grand Final — and I gave it everything I had.

I tangled with Polly Farmer. I tangled with Colin Eales. It was fiery at the time, but it’s all over and forgotten now.

Barrot pictured contesting a throw-in with Farmer and Closter

We were told to go out and give it everything, even if we broke a leg in the process. And we were told to come off the ground with heads held high, win or lose.

Most of the commentators thought I was best on the ground, and that was a tremendous honor. But I don’t think it was my best game.

My instructions were to get the ball and kick it as far as I could straight down to the forward line. It was up to Paddy Guinane, Royce Hart and Mike Patterson to kick the goals.

I know there were a couple of times I held on to the ball too long. I just became too excited.

The biggest thing in the match was that every player, whether he played well or not so well, tried desperately to keep Richmond going.

It was our teamwork, and more important, our team spirit and team strength which gave us victory. We did not wilt at any stage.

Even when Geelong streaked away with those quick goals in the third quarter, we set our teeth and came back.

In the last quarter I thought we might lose, but we braced ourselves and came back again. You can’t do better than that.
It was the best game I’ve ever played in.

Geelong are a great side, and some of their passing was almost incredible. I know we didn’t look as classy as they did.

But who cares? We won.

Geelong people think Billy Goggin’s shot in the last quarter, when Fred Swift marked it on the line, was a goal. I think their disappointment got the better of them with that statement.

It was all over in a flash, anyway. It probably sticks in everyone’s mind because it was in the dying stages. We would have been unlucky to lose because we missed some easy shots earlier.

Twenty minutes into the last quarter, it looked as though it would be a draw, and we went in harder.

A few minutes later I thought we were gone, and that was when our boys proved their greatness.

It was a great pity Neville Crowe couldn’t play. I didn’t realise until the game was on how much we missed his work in getting the ball to our smaller players.

I’ve been with Richmond now for seven years, since I went from the Glen Iris Under 16s. The club, and I, have had our ups and downs since.

I know I caused a stir earlier this year when I criticised the club, but it cleared the air and made me feel happier.

It helped me to play a lot better. After we had ironed out our difficulties, I felt I owed it to the club to lift my game and, fortunately, I succeeded.

I didn’t notice the Wade or West incidents, but they must be very disappointed, especially Wade, who also missed out on his 100 goals.

I know how I’d feel in the same circumstances, to be beaten narrowly after a great game, and then have to face the VFL Tribunal.

Bill Barrot toasts the Tigers’ success with his girlfriend Pam Thomson
at the team’s celebration dinner after the Grand Final.

growler, when did they start naming the awards after past players? ie the Jack Dyer medal etc

Bitter-sweet victory for this lanky Tiger.

RICHMOND coach Tom Hafey showed he could do it—he cried; chairman of selectors Bob Dickinson loaned him a hankie he had just used because no Tiger worth his salt minded showing emotion after Saturday’s Grand Final at the MCG.

For two hard-headed blokes like Hafey and Dickinson—Richmond’s premiership strategists—one tear was enough admission, but, in truth, they were pikers compared to the first man on the MCG after the final siren . . . lanky Neville Crowe.

Unashamed, Crowe, who was put out of the epic final by one foolish action a fortnight ago, bounded on to the arena like a big kid, grabbing his team-mates and hugging them wildly before 109,000 people.

Crowe’s throat was lumpy, for in addition to the thrill and elation of watching the Tigers win their first flag for 24 years, he said he felt the deepest regret.

“I’ve missed out on something wonderful,” Crowe said. “My name won’t go down in history with the others, but I am still proud to be part of Richmond this year.”

“Nothing was going to keep me off that oval after the match,” he said. “I had teed it up with the policeman on the gate to be first on, and when I hit the oval it seemed like it was shaking.

“I found out it wasn’t the ground shaking, but my leg,.” he said. He had been sitting throughout the match with the committee.

The first player he grabbed was Fred Swift, the captain, and then young John Ronaldson, the ruckman who took his place in the premiership side.

Crowe said the real disappointment rushed at him after the match when Swift, with the premiership cup held high above his head, led the victorious Richmond side on its lap of honor to the roar of the crowd.

But in the crowded Richmond rooms after the match, hundreds of supporters proved to Crowe that he had not been forgotten on this day.

They started a loud chant of “We want Crowey — we want Crowey,” and the ruck stalwart was called up on a bench to speak.

Obviously dejected Crowe climbed up alongside club president Mr. Ray Dunn, but all he could say was: “Let’s give all the players a quid — they deserve it.”

Although he wasn’t playing, because of a four-match suspension after the second semi-final, Neville Crowe was elated after the Tigers’ win. As soon as the final siren sounded Crowe jumped up and hugged Richmond coach Tom Hafey.

from the Sporting Globe: I could not help but feel sorry for Neville Crowe before today’s big clash. Neville was right in amongst the Richmond boys, wishing them good luck, giving them advice and plenty of encouragement.

He has continued training with the Tigers since his suspension and has spent hours schooling his replacement for the big responsibilities of checking Geelong’s champ, Polly Farmer.

There were some suggestions that he be allowed to act as Richmond’s runner, but any player under suspension cannot take the field.

Neville, after playing 11 years and 170-odd games, was extremely unlucky with the tribunal’s decision, particularly when you consider that on more than one occasion this season a player has been found guilty, but only reprimanded.

Neville said: “To me the tribunal’s decision was disappointing and severe. I would have considered doing time at Pentridge as an alternative to missing today’s game.

“Although it’s very hard to take even now, my disappointment will be greater when I watch the players leave the dressing room to take the field.”

But Neville, in sportsmanlike fashion, as he shrugged his shoulders, remarked: “But that’s past history now. As long as the boys win, it will do me.”

It’s a shame the two teams in the Under-19 grade Grand Final have missed the chance of playing for the premiership on the MCG.

Instead of playing in the massive stadium before thousands of spectators they will have to be content with Skinner Reserve.

The match, between Fitzroy and Richmond, is a week late because of a drawn game during the finals between Richmond and Footscray.

In the replay, Richmond narrowly won – forcing Footscray to play Fitzroy. Footscray lost.

North Melbourne delegate Tony Trainor made a move at the VFL table last week to have the match played at the MCG this coming Saturday. But he didn’t get much support.

A pity, because a lot of youngsters will now miss the chance of a lifetime.

Tigers have talent

Richmond, which has 14 six-footers in its line-up, should be too talented for the “mosquito fleet” of Fitzroy in the VFL Under-19 grade Grand Final at Skinner Reserve, Sunshine today.

Fitzroy has only three players over six feet – John Russell, Paul Shanahan and Ian Tanner.

The sides have clashed twice this year, resulting in one win to each.

Fitzroy coach Kevin Wright realises his team will lack Richmond’s height, but he feels its excellent ground play will swing the match.

Richmond and Fitzroy have each won only one Under-19 grade pennant – Richmond in 1958 and Fitzroy in 1955.

Curler for Tigers
By BRUCE MATTHEWS (Sporting Globe)

Richmond officials had reason to curl the mo after having seen their cubs win the VFL Under-19 flag from Fitzroy by 6 points at Skinner Reserve, Sunshine, on Saturday.

Among the Tiger cubs are several ready-made footballers — there for the taking. Derek Peardon, Daryl Cumming, Jim Carland and Rex Hunt are all promising youngsters certain to be seen in higher ranks soon.

They’ve just served a season apprenticeship under the expert eye of coach Ray Jordon [pictured] who tried more than 50 players this year.

Peardon, 6ft. 1in., 12.7, a half-forward from Tasmania, has had a wonderful season. Jordon, who’s seen many a champion come and go, predicts a big future for this 17-year-old.

He has everything a player requires to make the grade at Richmond – strength in the air and speed.

Cumming, 5ft. 7in., 10.7, is only 16 with seasons of football ahead of him. A most-sort after recruit from Merbein, he uses his blistering pace to break clear of packs.

Probably Richmond will not push this promising youngster too hard as he can still play under Jordon for another three seasons.

Crack full-forward Rex Hunt and half-forward Jim Carland are two locals most likely to make the grade. Both boys were chiefly responsible for the devastating five-goal burst in the second term which put the Tigers well on the road to victory on Saturday.

Hunt, 6ft. 3in., 14.7, started the Tiger forward line functioning when swung to the spearhead after the first term. The big Tiger began to drag down towering marks and drop-punted two glorious goals to bring Richmond back into the game.

Carland, an elusive half-forward, tore holes in the tough Lions’ defence and capped off a first-class performance with three goals.

Fitzroy will have no shortages of half-forwards next year, judging from the performances of Gary Smith, Les Robertson and Gary McGinty.

. . . It was the Lions’ tremendous pace and play-on style pitted against the Tigers’ strength and aerial supremacy.

The Tigers finally emerged as Kings of the Jungle but not before a thrilling tussle in which the lead see-sawed into the time-on period.

VOTES:

3—JIM CARLAND (Richmond): Ran unchecked all day on the half-forward flank and capped off a fine display with three goals.

2—LES ROBERTSON (Fitzroy): Focal point of Lion attacks all day.

3—DEREK PEARDON (Richmond): Damaging player around the ground. Had a hand in several goals with clever football.

GIVE ‘EM A GO!
By NEIL ROBERTS (Sporting Globe)

Why doesn’t the VFL give the Juniors a go?

Saturday’s Under 19 Grand Final at Skinner Reserve, Sunshine, delighted AND disappointed.

The standard of play was a delight — the choice of venue a disappointment.

Why was the game staged in such an out-of-the-way place? On the MCG, or a similar ground, they’d have had 20,000 through the turnstiles.

This was Sunshine’s biggest event for years, of course, but they got only 8,000 there.

The streets were a shambles — traffic snarls, parking problems, the lot.

As always, my suggestion is – look after the juniors.

They provide the best recruiting ground of the lot. Give THEM a bit of glamour, too!

Put them on a big ground, show them off! They like big crowds, too, you know!

The match was fast and action-packed. It has everything—high marking, long kicking, quick handpassing and scorching pace. It more than lived up to the standard of the other finals.

The stronger, higher-marking Tigers checked the pacy Lions’ efforts with a 6.2 to one point barrage with the breeze and won by a goal.

It was heartening to see Fitzroy guernseys adorning a grand final arena and the young Lions did not let the side down.

They have a pacy star-studded team. The Lions are reaping the reward for their policy of the early 60s. More than half the present senior side came up together through the Thirds.

Fitzroy must keep these boys going, nurse them along and keep them together.

A final word about the ground. This is the reserve that Footscray are negotiating to occupy. It has great potential.

It is big and has a fast-playing surface. Naturally, there’s a lot to be done to lift it to League standard, but, on the surface, it looks a real proposition.

SWIFT GETS 9 OFFERS, BUT . . .
KEVIN HOGAN (The Sun)

Richmond captain Fred Swift won’t change his mind about retiring from League football unless he’s not satisfied with coaching offers he receives.

Since the week-end, Swift has had approaches from at least nine clubs, and more are expected.

So far, offers from Ulverstone (Tas.) and Corowa (NSW) appear the most attractive, but Swift will also consider approaches from Albury, Koroit, Kyabram, and Association clubs Prahran and Waverley.

He will not make a decision for at least three weeks, and employment prospects will be examined.

Richmond president Mr. Ray Dunn and secretary Mr. Graeme Richmond talked to Swift yesterday and td him they would like him to stay with the Tigers.

But they accepted Swift’s view that he did not want to risk possible embarrassment to himself and the club if his form put his place in the side in jeopardy.

I've said it once and I'll say it again now that the 67 season is over-Growl-as far as I am concerned-YOU ARE PRE ENDER of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This treasure trove of memories is absolutely brilliant-hope you dont mind but all of this has been stored away by me in case this site or post(heaven forbid)is some how lost or not accessible. On behalf of all who have enjoyed the ride I thank you for your time and efforts.

Thanks for those kind words, Gordie.

I didn't begin this project for the kudos.

I thought there might be others who shared my love for this great club and were curious as to how a season evolves, a time capsule of what it's like to have a successful year.

We are a long way from that year, 1967, and many things have happened that, back then, would have been beyond our ken.

For instance, we could not have even envisaged home computers and the internet and, conversely, it may be difficult for some readers to understand the relevence of League footballers, top star material, holding down full-time jobs and training early evenings - after work - and having to "front up" to work again each Monday - just like the rest of us!

And the money side of playing football was just a small part of being a successful footballer. I am looking at an article now that claims the Richmond players earned more than a dollar a minute for winning the GF that year. (Not sure if I've already posted this)

Yes, they received $120 for 100 minutes of football. It wasn't all in the hand, either. $25 went in to provident funds and $11 was for the trophy fund - whatever that was.

There is a little more to go before the year is wrapped up. It is slow work at the moment because the CD I burned just before I replaced my computer is unreadable and I injured my hand/wrist so am literally typing one-fingered as I transcribe the last of the articles.

Feel free to copy what you like, it is in the public domain, and I enjoy sharing all of my research.

I will be burning a CD of the finished work if you are interested. It is in Word document format and looks more like newspaper articles and the pics are clearer and in the body of the text. There are also stat-tables of a lot of the games, GF included. I stopped posting them on PRE as they wouldn't come up large enough to read.

I am hoping that there will be room on the CD to include 1966 as well, which was a heartbreak of a year but promising.

No guarantee:

“I’ll be 30½ next year and there is no guarantee I will be able to hold my place in the team,” said Fred Swift, captain of the successful Richmond football club.

“It would be most embarrassing to be captain and to be dropped. It was almost getting to that stage this season.

“I was tempted to retire at the end of last year, but how glad I am that I didn’t. It’s a good way to go out if I leave League football this year.

“At the moment it seems to me only a matter of getting the right offer and a good job to go with it,” Swift added.

Swift has been swamped by offers from country and interstate clubs.

TIGERS WILL FIGHT TO KEEP SWIFT
By JACK DYER (The Truth)

Some of those Corowa boys feel confident they can win Freddy Swift to their ranks.

If they do it will be over my dead body. Swifty is too good a footballer for the Tigers to lose, particularly as they haven’t another player capable of holding down the full back position.

It’s funny that the Tigers were at him for two years to get out of the club and get himself a coaching job.

I remember Swift telling me: “I’m going to play on until we get a flag.”

Some fellows didn’t think he could hold his place. “Just give me one game and they’ll never get me out,” He said.

How right he was. And I figure he’ll lead the Tigers again next year.

Richmond followers Neville Crowe and John Ronaldson will enter hospital as soon as possible for minor operations.

Crowe has to have the little finger of his right hand straightened.

Ronaldson will have an operation on an ankle that has been worrying him for the past two years.

* * *​

Richmond full-forward Royce Hart is likely to be “on loan” to Tasmania next Sunday.

Hart has been asked to represent a combined Tasmanian side against South Melbourne next Sunday at Hobart and Richmond is expected to agree to the request.

Hart was recruited from Tasmania as a junior player two years ago.

Tasmanian football followers were bitterly disappointed when he did not go to Tasmania with a Victorian side earlier this season.

Full-forward Doug Wade withdrew from the Victorian side to play against Western Australia at the MCG because of a minor operation, and Hart took his place.

* * *​

One of the most surprised people at the Grand Final was John Ronaldson after he kicked THAT goal.

“I didn’t give myself much chance of getting the distance at all,” he said. “I was just trying to land it in the goal square but it kept on going.”

John’s 65-yard goal from the boundary line levelled the scores in the last quarter.

And a few minutes later his 60-yard shot from the other side of the ground for another goal settled the game. But John is still not happy with his kicking.

“My kicking has deteriorated since I joined Richmond,” he said. “I think the pressure on a player affects his kicking.”

“But I still need a lot of practice. When I kicked the goal I think it lifted my play and possibly it did the same for the rest of the team.”

John joined Richmond four years ago from East Malvern Under 17s in the Federal League. And Saturday was the first time he has played in a premiership team.

“I was in a grand final with East Malvern a few years ago, but we were beaten in that game by Mentone.”

John was a last minute inclusion in the Richmond’s Grand Final team — he hadn’t played a full senior game since the fourth round of the year.

A DOLLAR A MINUTE
By Greg Hobbs (The Age)

Richmond’s players earned more than $1 a minute in winning the 1967 VFL Premiership at the MCG on Saturday.

Each player will receive $120 in match payments for 100 minutes work.

The $120 is made up as follows: VFL match fee $60; VFL provident fund $9; club match fee $20; club provident fund $16; match bonus $4; trophy money $11.

Donations amounting to $700 were handed in after Saturday’s win and the club ear-marked another #1500 to the trophy fund, which now stands at $2200.

It will be split among the list players on a game pro-rata basis.

Probably the saddest man at the Tigers get-together on Saturday night was former captain Neville Crowe, who could not play in the Grand Final because of VFL suspension.

But Crowe was at the ground early to wish the players luck before the match.

At 10:30 a.m., before the start of the Reserve Grade Grand Final, Crowe went into the dressing rooms and offered a word of encouragement to every player.

He did the same to all the senior players, plus a special word for 6ft. 5in. ruckman John Ronaldson, who replaced him in Saturday’s side.

But despite the blow of not being able to play, Richmond players and officials made certain Crowe was not left out of any of Saturday night’s gaiety.

* * *​

Tigers were “great”
By JOHN GOOLD,
in collaboration with BOB CRIMEEN (The Sun)

Take a bow, Richmond, you’re the undisputed football champions for 1967.

You proved your greatness by fighting back from the brink of defeat to win the most brilliant Grand Final I have seen.

But unfortunately, Richmond, in football skill brilliance, pace and disposal Geelong took the honors.

From the cold statistical analysis of the match Geelong, in my view, had:

• Ten players who produced performances worthy of match-winners, compared with five from Richmond.
• An advantage of 16 kicks, normally enough to win a League match. (In the second semi-final Richmond defeated Carlton by 40 points, but had only seven more kicks for the game.)
• An overwhelming majority of 21 marks, five handpasses and receiving seven fewer free kicks.
Geelong also won on both wings, on the half-forward flanks and dominated the rucks and roving.
Richmond had no answer to the individual brilliance of Tony Polinelli, John Sharrock, Polly Farmer, Bill Goggin and Roy West.
But Richmond, which had only two great players — Bill Barrot and Royce Hart — had the team spirit, courage, evenness and strict team discipline which wins premierships.
To this, Geelong had no counter.
I said on Saturday that Richmond, by winning the flag, would become the League trendsetter for 1968, and after seeing its performance, I am not backing down.
The fitness and team discipline instilled into players by Tom Hafey is an example for all other coaches to follow if they are to win a premiership.
To match Richmond I believe other League teams will have to train three nights a week and have greater team discipline on the field.
The match, more exciting than last year’s St. Kilda-Collingwood battle, produced skill and brilliant individual performances rarely seen in a Grand Final.
• The brilliant ball-handling and magnificent kicking of Barrot, whose display in the centre was even greater than that of Brendan Edwards in the 1961 Grand Final.
• The freakish marking of Hart and his uncanny ability to win the ball when heavily out-numbered.
• The blistering pace and stab passing of Polinelli, who cast aside the disadvantages of height and weight of the modern wingman in beating *smile* Clay and Francis Bourke.
• Ken Newland, beaten on a wing by Francis Bourke, became a dominating player on a half-back flank and capped off his performance with one of the marks of the match.
• The kicking-out of Richmond captain Fred Swift, who checked Doug Wade, one of the players I tipped as being a real danger for Richmond.
• The craftsmanship of Farmer in every facet of the game.
• The sheer pace and disposal of Goggin.

BEST — Richmond: Barrot (best on ground), Hart, Brown, Swift, B. Richardson, Perry.
Geelong: Polinelli, Farmer, Sharrock, Goggin, West, Newland, Mitchell, Farman, Marshall.

Swift for Corowa

Richmond’s 1967 premiership captain Fred Swift will play with Corowa in the Ovens and Murray League next season.

Corowa last night appointed Swift playing coach for two years.

The appointment was announced by Corowa secretary Mr. Ray Chrisfield.

One condition of the contract signed by Swift is that he can exercise an option of a third season if he wants to carry on with the club.

No financial terms were disclosed, but it is understood Swift will be paid a playing fee of about $200 a week.

Corowa has also guaranteed Swift suitable accommodation for his family and a job which will not cut into his coaching time.

He is to work as a furniture salesman. Swift will transfer to Corowa in January.

Swift, 29, joined the Tigers in 1958 and played 146 games.

Guinane got his Paddy up!

Sure and begorrah, why would anyone think that a fine broth of a boy such as Paddy Guinane [above] would sink so low as to start a donnybrook?

Just a nasty vicious rumour started by someone with nothing better to do, to be sure, to be sure.

Members of the Paddy Guinane Appreciation Society include, in order of appearance:

Umpire Sheales pushes Guinane away after he clashed with John Sharrock, Bill Ryan grabs Graham Burgin from behind;

Paddy and Geoff Ainsworth in a struggle;

Polly Farmer shepherds Guinane when Marshall is “floored” after taking a mark. Umpire Sheales watches closely.

Denis Marshall looks to be on the receiving end of yet more attention from Guinane.

Things best left unsaid department.

On the Thursday night before the Grand Final, a conversation between Denis Marshall and Paddy Guinane went something like this:

Denis to Paddy: “Patrick, I promise not to bounce the ball more than twice when I am running away from you on Saturday.”

Paddy (always the gentleman) to Denis: “Thank you most sincerely, Denis.”

On the Saturday, and to an unbiased onlooker, it appeared the only thing that bounced twice was Denis, not the ball.

A SWIFT TRIBUTE TO FRED

1963, in a team photo, left. 1966, proud father, right.

1967, bloodied; 1967, Brownlow Lap of Honour as Richmond captain