Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

Looking at his body shape vs the players he's being compared to and seeing the defensive focus in training today I have absolutely no doubt as to why he's playing and in a brief chat he acknowledged he probably shouldn't have competed with Nank last week but that he didn't see Nank but when it's your turn to go, it's your turn to go. And that has been noticeable prior to last week that he is fulfilling that role

Reactions: 8 users
Except 2023, when Mansell kicked more goals. And 2024, when Mansell has kicked more goals.

But anyway, footy has moved on from the 80s where a forwards value was only measured in goals. I suggest you do too.
Being able to hit the scoreboard is part of the job if you want to be able to win flags.
Check last 10 years Premiership teams - smalls can defend and hit the scoreboard, surely that's the goal (pardon pun). All smalls, mid forwards capable of multiple goal days, perhaps an odd exception but even Josh Thomas kicked 38 goals in 2018 for the Pies

Reactions: 2 users
Regardless of what you think of Mansell, re-signing him was a no brainer.

We are looking at 2-3 retirements plus another 2 senior players possibly leaving in trades this year. That’s a lot of experience potentially walking out the door on top of what we’ve already lost last year and could potentially lose again next year. We absolutely must retain whatever we can to keep some semblance of structure going forward.

Again, I’d be scrutinizing our recruiting in recent times for not adding enough talent along with Hartley for not being aggressive enough in list churn.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't think he is as good as Morris was for the couple of years Morris was going pretty well - well I haven't seen it yet
He's in the same basket though and will just be a 24-28 player and gets a game bc of injuries once team has a solid list. You're probably right as well with your opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
No you dont. You just prefer to bag him, and refuse to consider that maybe those coaches know football, the and the footballers they have to choose from, better than you do.
Those coaches are so good at what they’re doing that we’re sitting second last and the effort by the players as a team on field is non existent
I’m critical of those that select a battler to play half forward and prefer defensive pressure to kicking goals
Mansell took 4 games to kick a goal
His reward a 2year contract extension you can’t make this *smile* up

Those coaches are so good at what they’re doing that we’re sitting second last and the effort by the players as a team on field is non existent
I’m critical of those that select a battler to play half forward and prefer defensive pressure to kicking goals
Mansell took 4 games to kick a goal
His reward a 2year contract extension you can’t make this *smile* up

Yeah, but at least he's not a midget.

We have Big Shorts. We have Rhyan "Medium Shorts" Mansell. And we have Steely "Unspecified Shorts Size Steam-powered Dildo (blame his mum)" Green.

We have a hierarchy of shorts. It's not so long ago that Baker's shorts were medium.

This Mansell has a *smile* on him. His shorts will grow. (Steely is for another thread.)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Regardless of what you think of Mansell, re-signing him was a no brainer.

We are looking at 2-3 retirements plus another 2 senior players possibly leaving in trades this year. That’s a lot of experience potentially walking out the door on top of what we’ve already lost last year and could potentially lose again next year. We absolutely must retain whatever we can to keep some semblance of structure going forward.

Again, I’d be scrutinizing our recruiting in recent times for not adding enough talent along with Hartley for not being aggressive enough in list churn.

Nothing wrong with signing him but It should've been on a one-year deal not 2.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with signing him but It should've been on a one-year deal not 2.
Two years might get him close enough for Taswegiea to be interested in giving us solid compensation for returning a local pair of heads to help build their initial team. 26 y.o. with around 80 games in the bank, just a solid core footballer, need them to structure a team around.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think our forward pressure was negatively impacted with Mansell out of the team last night.

Straight back in for Bolton anyway.

Last edited:
Signed for another 2 years. I still don't know what we get from this bloke, especially up forward. Just hope he starts showing something soon.

Reactions: 3 users
Signed for another 2 years. I still don't know what we get from this bloke, especially up forward. Just hope he starts showing something soon.

Just a filler contract. We can’t tip everyone out at the same time.

Reactions: 7 users

Just a trier of limited ability who will continue to get a gig until one of our cubs shows him up or our injury list becomes manageable

Just a trier of limited ability who will continue to get a gig until one of our cubs shows him up or our injury list becomes manageable
He’ll still get a game ahead of cubs and others been happening for years

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Looking forward to ongoing improvement from the young man who has worked hard to get himself into a position of continuing to challenge for a spot in the best 22 for the Tigers. Not every player is going to be elite, and some like young Rhyan Mansell may be considered as just a tryer by some supporters, however a player who gives his all and willingly puts his body on the line for his team and has the ability to play to the coaches instructions will always have a role to play within the club. A well deserved extension.

Reactions: 11 users