Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

All teams need role players. Not all are stars. Many of our fmr & current Premiership players were degraded too.

Whilst not super gifted, Mansell is a solid, competitive genuine footballer who works his backside off.
Obviously he has the respect of footy departments & fellow team mates. He won't be breaking the bank but he does deserve to be on our list.

Reactions: 16 users
All teams need role players. Not all are stars. Many of our fmr & current Premiership players were degraded too.

Whilst not super gifted, Mansell is a solid, competitive genuine footballer who works his backside off.
Obviously he has the respect of footy departments & fellow team mates. He won't be breaking the bank but he does deserve to be on our list.
Agree. In a finals like team he would be player 18-24. Solid citizen. All teams have and need these players

Reactions: 5 users

I think he is a little more skilled than it's suggested on here.

I'm very optimistic now when Mansell is near the ball, and comfortable when he has it. He is strong in the contest, and has become more composed. He does sometimes flash at goal unnecessarily, but his goal sense is generally very good.

He's started to nail the opportunistic snap, and his strength and speed will help him improve that further.

Biggest point of improvement is to find the ball more. Hard in our forward line at the moment.

Reactions: 13 users
I think he is a little more skilled than it's suggested on here.

I'm very optimistic now when Mansell is near the ball, and comfortable when he has it. He is strong in the contest, and has become more composed. He does sometimes flash at goal unnecessarily, but his goal sense is generally very good.

He's started to nail the opportunistic snap, and his strength and speed will help him improve that further.

Biggest point of improvement is to find the ball more. Hard in our forward line at the moment.
Don't disagree with any of that but that's why I said whilst not a star he is a genuine footballer. Not a battler as some suggest.

Reactions: 5 users
How many games has Mansell played this year in the VFL? Sorry what, none, He did SFA in the preseason but waltzed into the senior side like he's some damaging small forward.

AFL
2022 Cumberland kicked 19 goals in 9 games to Mansell with 2 games ZERO goals
2023 Cumberland in 9 games kicked 8 goals and Mansell in 17 games kicked 10 goals
2024 Cumberland 1 game (full) 2 goals and Mansell 9 games for a lowly 6 goals

Mansell 28 games in seasons 2022/23/24 = 16 goals
Cumberland 19 games in seasons 2022/23/24 = 29 goals

What are you trying to argue here?
Hopefully by the end of 2024 we arent still referencing 2022 to prove Noah Cumberland is a quality AFL footballer.

And when you say Mansell did SFA in the preseason, is that based off your extensive track watching?

And maybe you could suggest why you think Mansell hasnt played a game in the VFL this year? Maybe that is telling us something.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Mansell is basically in the same situation as Morro was before we won the three fags. He has a mature, tough body, big heart, but very limited skill wise. Like Morro he started in defence and was ok for the time and then went forward and was average, but serviceable. When you have a young team building you need these sacrificial lambs until the younger guys build physically, in confidence and get to AFL standard. Morro was phased out when Rioli, Butler and George came along , but he played an important role in getting us to the team we became. The only knock on Mansell in comparison to Morrro is he doesn't have the leadership qualities yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully by the end of 2024 we arent still referencing 2022 to prove Noah Cumberland is a quality AFL footballer.

And when you say Mansell did SFA in the preseason, is that based off your extensive track watching?

And maybe you could suggest why you think Mansell hasnt played a game in the VFL this year? Maybe that is telling us something.

Don't worry about 2022, I gave you 3 seasons against Mansell that tells it like it is. Fewer games more goals.
Lol when I say preseason I mean the preseason games, then he got injured and then straight in the side. Banks was the same.

Come on you're defending him like he's some gun player he isn't. Just an average player and TIGERP155 articulated himself well. Balanced and not for or against well not forward that's for sure, maybe back.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry about 2022, I gave you 3 seasons against Mansell that tells it like it is. Fewer games more goals.
Except 2023, when Mansell kicked more goals. And 2024, when Mansell has kicked more goals.

But anyway, footy has moved on from the 80s where a forwards value was only measured in goals. I suggest you do too.

Except 2023, when Mansell kicked more goals. And 2024, when Mansell has kicked more goals.

But anyway, footy has moved on from the 80s where a forwards value was only measured in goals. I suggest you do too.

If you want to have a meaningful discussion, don't compare apples with oranges.

Surely that comment was made in jest.
First off in 2023, Mansell played eight more games for two more goals LOL .

In 2024, Cumberland has had one full game for two goals. Mansel has kicked two goals in his last five and six overall in nine games.

Hope cumbo is given a stretch of games, four or eight like Mansel and I have no doubt that he will kick more goals than what Mansel has.

Yes, you also have to defend and tackle guess what, They have similar average tackles per game.

All I'm saying is he's not a genuine small forward who has smarts maybe try him as a lockdown defender and see how he goes.

If you want to have a meaningful discussion, don't compare apples with oranges.

Surely that comment was made in jest.
First off in 2023, Mansell played eight more games for two more goals LOL .

In 2024, Cumberland has had one full game for two goals. Mansel has kicked two goals in his last five and six overall in nine games.

Hope cumbo is given a stretch of games, four or eight like Mansel and I have no doubt that he will kick more goals than what Mansel has.

Yes, you also have to defend and tackle guess what, They have similar average tackles per game.

All I'm saying is he's not a genuine small forward who has smarts maybe try him as a lockdown defender and see how he goes.
Sorry, when you write "more goals" i thought you meant Cumbers had kicked more goals. My mistake.

Ultimately I hope you're right about Noah and he regain that form he showed a few years ago.

But this is the Mansell thread, Rhyan has kicked goals in his last 3 games, but as others have said playing in our forward line ATM is hard work. When we had a functioning forwardline, Mansell was one of our best against the Swans, with 17 disposals, 5 marks, 1 goal, 3 direct goals assists, 8 score involvements, and 6 tackles, which followed his game against Port where he had 13 disposals, 5 marks, 2 goals, 2 direct goals assists, 7 score involvements, and 2 tackles.
He can play, he just needs to show it more consistently.

He is at the moment as he's rookie listed. When the next contract takes effect as of next season he won't as he will have served 5 years as a rookie listed player. If the club wanted to keep him on an absolute minimum salary they would potentially have to delist him and then re rookie him assuming no one would draft him prior which is highly unlikely.
He isnt a rookie listed player, he was upgraded to the main list on 26/11/2021

Reactions: 3 users
3 coaches have had him in their team, so he must be doing what they want him to. Doesn't matter what some posters think, the club is obviously happy with him. They'd have played someone else if they weren't.
Get over it & move on.
exactly 3 coaches later and hes still gifted games i wonder why?
kicks 1 goal in 4 games its all good give him a 2 year extension reward him because he chases backsides all day
It is all about defensive pressure never mind kicking a winning score
Hes a battler hes not a forward and shouldnt be played there

Last edited:
exactly 3 coaches later and hes still gifted games i wonder why?
No you dont. You just prefer to bag him, and refuse to consider that maybe those coaches know football, the and the footballers they have to choose from, better than you do.

The obsession with early Cumberland reminds me of the discussions about how good Stackman was three years after he was actually good. Crazy to expect him to ever be that good again on two-plus years of mediocre form, and he never was.

Cumbo still has time - tough gig for him this year and I'm not writing him off - but comparisons with Mansell are pretty tedious. Very different players who offer very different things.

Reactions: 4 users
It’s a bit of an indication of how poor our list currently is when a player as limited as Mansell is a walk up start.
Its a bit of an indication of how poor our posting currently is.

Seems many posters want to follow the Zips method and sack everyone but Dusty.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Mansell is basically in the same situation as Morro was before we won the three fags. He has a mature, tough body, big heart, but very limited skill wise. Like Morro he started in defence and was ok for the time and then went forward and was average, but serviceable. When you have a young team building you need these sacrificial lambs until the younger guys build physically, in confidence and get to AFL standard. Morro was phased out when Rioli, Butler and George came along , but he played an important role in getting us to the team we became. The only knock on Mansell in comparison to Morrro is he doesn't have the leadership qualities yet.
I don't think he is as good as Morris was for the couple of years Morris was going pretty well - well I haven't seen it yet