Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

He is only 23 years old not 33.

And which cub is he taking the spot of currently as that small forward?Iwith our injury list
With our injury list
I didn’t says currently
Previously when he’s been unable to kick goals he has been gifted games ahead of Coulthard Cumberland Green Clarke Sonsie etc

Reactions: 1 users
With our injury list
I didn’t says currently
Previously when he’s been unable to kick goals he has been gifted games ahead of Coulthard Cumberland Green Clarke Sonsie etc
Them blokes have been getting a look in recent weeks n not one of them has done anything better or been more consistent than Nigel's efforts have been this year so what exactly is the beef n moan about?

Reactions: 4 users
He is only 23 years old not 33.

And which cub is he taking the spot of currently as that small forward?
Mansell 23 is taking the spot of young cubs Coulthard 23 and Cumberland also 23.

Heaven help it if those youngsters born after Ryhan have to fight for a senior selection

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
With our injury list
I didn’t says currently
Sonsie and Clarke don’t play the same role as Mansell. So not sure why they are in this discussion.

Coulthard was not fit for senior footy prior to our injuries so he can be crossed off.

Cumberland could barely hit the scoreboard at VFL level.

Sonsie and Clarke don’t play the same role as Mansell. So not sure why they are in this discussion.

Coulthard was not fit for senior footy prior to our injuries so he can be crossed off.

Cumberland could barely hit the scoreboard at VFL level.
What role does Mansell actually play apart from chasing backsides all game
Took him 4 games to kick a goal No other small forward gets the chances he gets
He ain’t a forward he’s just a battler its FArts MKII

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What role does Mansell actually play apart from chasing backsides all game
Took him 4 games to kick a goal No other small forward gets the chances he gets
He ain’t a forward he’s just a batter its FArts MKII
He has kicked 6 goals in 9 games this year- all in the AFL.
One of our few fit small forwards who has played VFL this year, Noah Cumberland, has kicked 6 goals from 8 games- 5 in the VFL. (Noah took 3 weeks to kick a goal in the VFL)

I think it is clear you dont rate Mansell, just as it is clear his past 3 AFL coaches do.

without a quality tall forward to build our forward line around
AND
the way reduced good supply from a decimated midfield

most of our forwards haven't set the world on fire

we have been spoilt since 2017 with our smaller forwards
Edwards , Lambert, Butler, Higgins , Castagna , Bolton ...

I don't get the vibe that Mansell will be a great player
will he be a role player and adequate longer term at AFL level ? Maybe , he certainly has a crack

he is clearly valued by the Match Committee and it would be great if that could be shared with us or at least some of it shared

Reactions: 2 users
he is clearly valued by the Match Committee and it would be great if that could be shared with us or at least some of it shared

Can tell you now Captain Hook, why he is valued by Yze, Mini and Dimma.

- He will ALWAYS be non-negotiable in his attack on the ball and man. Absolute single minded. More than any other player on our list. Only Vlastuin rivals him.
- He adheres to the game plan. i.e. his off the ball defensive running, creating space when with it, and is accountable for his defender in the air and running off.
- He uses the ball, especially by foot - reliably and well.
- His tackles stick.
- And finally, and most importantly, Because they know what they will get with him week on week. They trust him.

He will come straight back in this week. Likely at the expense of Cumberland.

Can see the melts now. But that's what will very likely happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 users
Can tell you now Captin Hook, why he is valued by Yze, Mini and Dimma.

- He will ALWAYS be non-negotiable in his attack on the ball and man. Absolute single minded. More than any other player on our list. Only Vlastuin rivals him.
- He adheres to the game plan. i.e. his off the ball defensive running, creating space when with it, and is accountable for his defender in the air and running off.
- His tackles stick.
- And finally, and most importantly, Because they know what they will get with him week on week. They trust him.

you can't fault him on his attack, willingness and support he provides. I have a good feeling that Mansell will be a great contributor.

Reactions: 4 users
After the Swans game Gary Lyon said "Mansell was superb!"

I never thought I'd be referencing Lyon but here we are...as above, he is rated by the club because they know they can trust him.

Reactions: 3 users
Can tell you now Captain Hook, why he is valued by Yze, Mini and Dimma.

- His tackles stick.

I liken him to Chris Hyde as in both hard working players but not widely respected

I felt both Mansell & MRJ got too focused on the defensive side of their games last year and it was to their determent
and both have relaxed that and Rhyan hitting the scoreboard more this year real important for him and us

maybe the case study for both is Jacob Townsend , when he had the balance between smashing guys ribs and getting to dangerous spots
we celebrated , but getting too focused on the tough guy stuff saw him slide out favour

getting Hopper and Lynch back in the coming weeks will be crucial for us , more ball and faster ball into the forwards is always a big plus and as we know , Lynch draws a crowd and can still get the ball to ground , this will give us a much better environment for assessing the likes of Mansell , Sonsie , MRJ , Cumberland
because tough decisions will have to be made come seasons end

I'm expecting Mansell to become our Alex Neal-Bullen so hopefully we seem him more in the picture during games and kicking more goals.

I reckon in a post Baker/Kmac/Marlion era Rhyan can reposition himself into a wing or hbf because being a defensive small forward who don’t kick goals is a short term career.

the personnel and the way we play will most likely be a bit different next year from what we are doing now

hopefully we go from struggling to get a side on the park and coaches trying players in a few roles
to
having a near full squad available and the coaches bedding down preferred game plans and roles

I reckon in a post Baker/Kmac/Marlion era Rhyan can reposition himself into a wing or hbf because being a defensive small forward who don’t kick goals is a short term career.
He has kicked 6 goals in 9 games, not quite Coleman medal winning material, but not as bad as some try to make him out to be. Playing as small forward in our team this is hard. Prime KB might even struggle. Unsurprisingly the 2 full games he played alongside a proper tall forward were his best 2.

Reactions: 1 user
He has kicked 6 goals in 9 games this year- all in the AFL.
One of our few fit small forwards who has played VFL this year, Noah Cumberland, has kicked 6 goals from 8 games- 5 in the VFL. (Noah took 3 weeks to kick a goal in the VFL)

I think it is clear you dont rate Mansell, just as it is clear his past 3 AFL coaches do.

There are clearly some on here that have huge boners for Cumbo and will blame everyone else for his shortcomings, we all know who those cheerleaders are.

Its almost like they acknowledge that injuries are causing an issue for our team and our gameplan but expect Mansell to still get the same results as we had with a full team.

Going back to the start of the year he didn't play round 0, and was activated sub in Round 1. The 2 games we can really look at before our season fell apart after the Swans game, were the Port and Swans games. Across the 2 games he kicked 3.2, had 5 goal assists and 8 tackles. Had Cumbo got those stats over a 2 game period, they'd be singing about the 2nd coming of Peter Daicos. We have to review all of our players performance against what the overall team are able to produce. Ultimately our season really ended after the Swans game, we'd already lost too many players by then, and our season completely fell off the cliff once TT was also injured before the Eagles game. We simply can't expect players to deliver the same results under a much weaker side.

Reactions: 9 users
There are clearly some on here that have huge boners for Cumbo and will blame everyone else for his shortcomings, we all know who those cheerleaders are.

Its almost like they acknowledge that injuries are causing an issue for our team and our gameplan but expect Mansell to still get the same results as we had with a full team.

Going back to the start of the year he didn't play round 0, and was activated sub in Round 1. The 2 games we can really look at before our season fell apart after the Swans game, were the Port and Swans games. Across the 2 games he kicked 3.2, had 5 goal assists and 8 tackles. Had Cumbo got those stats over a 2 game period, they'd be singing about the 2nd coming of Peter Daicos. We have to review all of our players performance against what the overall team are able to produce. Ultimately our season really ended after the Swans game, we'd already lost too many players by then, and our season completely fell off the cliff once TT was also injured before the Eagles game. We simply can't expect players to deliver the same results under a much weaker side.
You forgot to mention his 30 disposals, 10 marks and 15 score involvements across those 2 games.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Waltzed back into the side and didn't fire a shot.

Doesn't have forward craft. Put him on the ball and see what he can bring us as he is tough in and around the contest. Or play him as a small lockdown defender or back to the VFL

Last edited: