Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Great signs. You could say the only knock is he blazes away. But to me that isn't really a knock because a) its his second game and poise will come, and b) it isn't that bad a thing in the context of the way we play.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
We may as well just trade all our first 4 round picks , and just ad players from the rookie draft and spd

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
He looks a bit like Wilson I think it is , that played for the Giants & now at Freo.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
He was ordinary in the first quarter (free kicks, fumbling, getting caught with it), but then settled down after that.

He's got a great defensive mindset first i.e. doesn't go chasing kicks - which is great. Plenty of upside. Definitely stays in. Will only get better.

Reactions: 1 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
He was ordinary in the first quarter (free kicks, fumbling, getting caught with it), but then settled down after that.

He's got a great defensive mindset first i.e. doesn't go chasing kicks - which is great. Plenty of upside. Definitely stays in. Will only get better.
And a long kick.

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Almost posted this in the LOLNorf thread...

Tigers youngster driven by North snub​

By Daniel Cherny

Follow Saturday’s AFL and AFLW action live from 1.30pm
Richmond defender Rhyan Mansell says he is spurred on by North Melbourne’s decision to bypass him in his draft year, having been a member of the Kangaroos’ next generation academy.
Mansell, 20, played in a winning AFL side for the first time on Thursday night as the Tigers crushed St Kilda by 86 points at Marvel Stadium.
New Tiger Rhyan Mansell.

New Tiger Rhyan Mansell.

The speedy backman had traversed a circuitous route to get to such a stage. The Indigenous Tasmanian was a member of North’s NGA and is the cousin of emerging Roo Tarryn Thomas, but the Roos opted against taking Mansell in his draft year of 2018.

Fellow Tasmanian and former Tiger Sam Lonergan helped get him to Woodville-West Torrens at the end of 2019. Lonergan is now on Richmond’s coaching panel, reunited with Mansell.
After a strong 2020 in the SANFL, Mansell again slipped through the draft but was invited to train over the summer for a supplemental selection period spot at Punt Road.
He got the nod in late February, making his senior debut in round four against Port Adelaide.

“I don’t even really know how to explain it, to be honest. I never thought that this would happen. The last two weeks have just been a big blur to me and I’m trying to take in as much as I can,” Mansell said as he enjoyed the spoils of the win over the Saints.

Mansell credits Lonergan and Woodville-West Torrens coach Jade Sheedy as the men most responsible for igniting his AFL dream.
“I definitely wouldn’t be in this position right now if I hadn’t have made the move across to Adelaide and played for the Eagles last year,” he said.
When he arrived at Punt Road, Mansell was determined not to have any regrets.

“I didn’t want to leave any stone unturned, I wanted to give it my best and if I wasn’t good enough, so be it. But I put everything into it and trained real hard over Christmas break and I thought coming in I felt like I belonged straight away.”

And he says there is a part of him keen to make North pay for their decision not to take him.
“They didn’t see the potential in me. Richmond have taken the punt on me and they saw all the potential in me, so credit to Richmond for backing me in and giving me a good crack,” Mansell said.
“I spent a couple of years on North Melbourne’s next-gen academy and it didn’t work out and I definitely use that as a lot of motivation to where I’ve got to now.

“They had the chance to get me for near nothing as well so I was a bit flat that I didn’t get there. Obviously, my good cousin Tarryn, he’s there. It would have been awesome to play with him, but it’s worked out perfectly.”

While North languish at the bottom of the ladder, Mansell is running out with champions like Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt.
“I definitely pinch myself a bit, when I’m running out beside Dusty and Riewoldt, Cotchin, it doesn’t feel real to be honest, it feels like a dream.”
He says he’d been told by the Tigers’ coaches he’d been picked in the seniors because “I play like a ‘Richmond man’.
“My competitiveness and for a small bloke the physical side of the game. And my speed as well.”

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Did you all hear JB during the call?
I think it was 3rd quarter.
Was saying during the week Dimma referred to Rhyan as Nigel and there was deathly silence.
The young Tigers group had no idea who Nigel Mansell was.
Was pretty funny.
They had a chuckle in the comm box. JB, Duke Darcy and Captain Joel.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Was saying during the week Dimma referred to Rhyan as Nigel and there was deathly silence.
Was pretty funny.
Jobe had no idea who is was either....which doesn't surprise me

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Loved his game. Looks like he has a future. Reminded me slightly of K Sheedy. Hard at it, cheeky and to his advantage, looks to be a better kick.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Was pretty funny.
Jack likes his Motorsport, thought he may have heard of Nigel Mansell at least.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Loved his game. Looks like he has a future. Reminded me slightly of K Sheedy. Hard at it, cheeky and to his advantage, looks to be a better kick.
I always liked KB's take on Sheedy. "When he arrived he couldn't kick, mark or handball but he could get the ball. When he left he could kick mark and handball perfectly but couldn't get the ball"

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It’s great to have another Tasmanian at Tigerland. We have a long and proud history of Tassie players. I wonder when the last time was that we didn’t have a Tasmanian on our list?
Royce Hart, Michael Roach, Benny Gale, Richo and Jumping Jack, I reckon we’ve had one on our list since the 60’s, possibly longer.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Tarryn is his cousin correct. Mansell's bro top right was at North as well. The family must like the name 'ryan' or the four letters that make it up lol. All three boys have ryan in their first names lol - RhYAN, his brother tYRAN, cousin tARrYN. The other boy bottom right has the 'yn' - LeiwYN

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210419-001556_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210419-001556_Samsung Internet.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 22