Rhys Mathieson ... Daft prospect | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhys Mathieson ... Daft prospect

Brooklyn Tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
jokershoppe said:
* Attention Francis Jackson* Shane Yarran rookie pick would be nice
#12 - Ah Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i fully agree, give yarran (shane) a go, 54 goals in the wafl is something special talents do, then select best mid at 12, if it works we fix two areas, our inside mids, and forward line.

I'm all for giving guys a second chance however i'm not sure i extend that to Shane. Wafl form or not. He didn't steal a car or get into a fight. His crimes were a lot more serious and i don't think he is the character we need at the club. I think i read on here somewhere that Shane himself called it a 'little indiscretion'. don't think so Shane...

Pass.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
This is a serious question. What is Sam Mitchell's endurance like? Cos he sure don't run as much as a lot of players who run a lot. Isn't it where and when you run as opposed to how much? With his supposedly low tank still enabling him to pick up high 20s possies all the time if not more, isn't that a good sign? Doesn't that tell you he knows where is going out there? Why doesn't a player like (off top of head) Nathan Gordon with a legendary tank never get more than 10-15 possies.
He doesnt know where he's going that's why. I'd value Mitchell's trait a lot higher than 15+ beeps.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
ToraToraTora said:
This is a serious question. What is Sam Mitchell's endurance like? Cos he sure don't run as much as a lot of players who run a lot. Isn't it where and when you run as opposed to how much? With his supposedly low tank still enabling him to pick up high 20s possies all the time if not more, isn't that a good sign? Doesn't that tell you he knows where is going out there? Why doesn't a player like (off top of head) Nathan Gordon with a legendary tank never get more than 10-15 possies.
He doesnt know where he's going that's why. I'd value Mitchell's trait a lot higher than 15+ beeps.
Not sure I'd question Mitchell's tank, certainly question his pace, but he's had enough tank to get him through a hell of a lot of games over the years. Mitchell's got the two simplest n most important traits in the game. First, he gets to where the ball is, second he knows what the hell to do with it when he gets there. Blokes like Mitch n Hodge are just out n out pure footballers, tear the arse out of fancy prancing athletes nine times out of ten.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
tigerlove said:
Ask Wayne Carey. Doesn't think Mitchell could get a game at another club.
Opinions are beautiful things tl, everyone's got one but some are just weird n a few are ugly. Carey's opinion on Mitchell whether poorly enunciated or just plain wrong copped him a fair serve of flack, listened to Carey a few times on radio n the flog meter just rises a few notches every time.
Funny game the old Aussie rules. For all the advancements in athleticism n running capacity, leap n pirouette there's always a few fat arsed slow n chunky short buggers that nobody rates turn into genuine A grade players that are the corner stones of their clubs success.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
TigerMasochist said:
Not sure I'd question Mitchell's tank, certainly question his pace, but he's had enough tank to get him through a hell of a lot of games over the years. Mitchell's got the two simplest n most important traits in the game. First, he gets to where the ball is, second he knows what the hell to do with it when he gets there. Blokes like Mitch n Hodge are just out n out pure footballers, tear the arse out of fancy prancing athletes nine times out of ten.

Isn't that what I just said?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
TigerMasochist said:
Mitchell's got the two simplest n most important traits in the game. First, he gets to where the ball is, second he knows what the hell to do with it when he gets there. Blokes like Mitch n Hodge are just out n out pure footballers, tear the arse out of fancy prancing athletes nine times out of ten.
yes. Mitchell is an elite user of the footy, not just execution but seeing the options and making choices. In my view he is the best user by hand and foot in the game at the moment.

He is also a very annoying player, for some reason I just don't like him.

We need a Mitchell. IMO if we added Mitchell to our team we would go close to winning a premiership.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Miles is our Mitchell Sin.

Not sure we can go with another sub 180cm extractor when we already have miles and chimp in there.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Havent seen much of Rhys but he looks to be somewhat sloppy with his disposal. Offset a bit by him being under constant pressure but would prefer someone cleaner with their disposal.

With Townsend and Moore in as midfield grunt I think we should go best available, whether it be a pure mid or not.

Good chance for a touted top 10 pick to slide.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
TigerMasochist said:
Opinions are beautiful things tl, everyone's got one but some are just weird n a few are ugly. Carey's opinion on Mitchell whether poorly enunciated or just plain wrong copped him a fair serve of flack, listened to Carey a few times on radio n the flog meter just rises a few notches every time.
Funny game the old Aussie rules. For all the advancements in athleticism n running capacity, leap n pirouette there's always a few fat arsed slow n chunky short buggers that nobody rates turn into genuine A grade players that are the corner stones of their clubs success.

Yep, just check out a few recent Brownlow medal winners - Swan, Priddis, Jobe Watson, all players who were slow starters and whose athleticism and skills were called into question.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
bullus_hit said:
Yep, just check out a few recent Brownlow medal winners - Swan, Priddis, Jobe Watson, all players who were slow starters and whose athleticism and skills were called into question.

To me Swan is the most amazing out of that bunch. Doesn't even look like he should be playing sports, let alone elite level AFL footy but he has this unbelievable knack of finding the ball.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Leysy Days said:
Miles is our Mitchell Sin.

Not sure we can go with another sub 180cm extractor when we already have miles and chimp in there.
He may be and I like Miles but Mitchell is miles ahead of Miles as a player ;D. I am talking about his ball use mainly

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Giardiasis said:
So now you don't want Gresham?

Its definitely a consideration Gia. Reckon Jade plays more outside than extractor talking about though. Prob similar role to Lambert.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Leysy Days said:
Its definitely a consideration Gia. Reckon Jade plays more outside than extractor talking about though. Prob similar role to Lambert.
Perhaps he could move into a more inside role later in his career. Certainly looks like he'll be a good player to me.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
To bring it back to Mathieson, and here I must apologise to Scoop, after reading the article in the Hun today .. I've warmed to Rhys. Impressed how he did well on Squawks' Langford in his first VFL game for Falcons, although had Simpson putting it down his throat. Will go back to look at more postings on 2015 Draft thread, but sick of all the clamoring for a SF. Just ignoring what we picked last year as if none of them can fill that role.
I would grab Collins if he falls to us because have real doubts about KPD depth, or then the most skilled and dangerous tall mid available, like RM or perhaps Balic, possibly Hibberd. Think Rioli is being over-rated due to name; likewise Ah Chee another lightweight who could take several years to develop. Need guys that come on faster while the likes of Lids/Ivan still young enough.
We actually have plenty of little guys already. If a mid, a tallish one, who can win his own ball, and who can go forward and compete in the air too, not just take a rare hanger every 5 games.

DLR

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 13, 2015
leon said:
Need guys that come on faster while the likes of Lids/Ivan still young enough.

We actually have plenty of little guys already. If a mid, a tallish one, who can win his own ball, and who can go forward and compete in the air too, not just take a rare hanger every 5 games.

MMMmmm. So we have plenty of little guys who have not come on fast is what you are saying?

I think we do need that bit of a livewire, front and square quality, one not necessarily sitting on the Rookie list as a maybe.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
DLR said:
MMMmmm. So we have plenty of little guys who have not come on fast is what you are saying?

I think we do need that bit of a livewire, front and square quality, one not necessarily sitting on the Rookie list as a maybe.
No I'm not saying they haven't come on; what I'm pointing out is that we have invested in guys like Lloyd who is a work in progress but demonstrates some of the traits we need but needs more game-time, Butler who has potential as a SF, Lambert who spends time up forward with promise to improve further. Then there is Short, Menadue, CEllis, Drummond and Castagna. All these guys have been recruited for their skills, speed and smarts - nothing to say they can't go forward and find the goals, even if mostly regarded initially as more mids or running backs.
I think Ah Chee is quite talented; Rioli might turn into a dangerous player in time. But given their size and light weight, could take years WITH no certainty.
So my other options are ones I think we might really need very soon (another tall defender) or more likely to prove a winner (tall mid like RM or HB). BTW, Lids now has a suspect achilles. Just hope he endures; in good shape otherwise.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Will debut this week. That video of him getting announced to play is fantastic.

Love the BEAST mode mantra, far indication of his style.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
SCOOP said:
Will debut this week. That video of him getting announced to play is fantastic.

Love the BEAST mode mantra, far indication of his style.

Wow, just saw it. Has leader written all over him. His speech for a debutante was crazy.