Richmond Premiership Circle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond Premiership Circle

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
I read it as

- No change in price (but take away a seat allocation and ability to hand back ticket each home game if you cant attend for $)
- One bay - N6 (186 seats available each week home games to purchase a reserved seat should you want a guarantee of where you sit)

I got offered a ticket (seat) in the Olympic Stand yesterday by RFC for an extra $70 a year if I wanted the same seat every week. Obviously changes over there too if they can offer that given 6 months ago I was advised all olympic stand reserved seating was sold out when trying to grab my brother a ticket.

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Peoples jeez , the Tigers are up to there eyeballs in success and people are pissed off at losing there seat allocation.
I would stand on 1 leg to watch them play , toughen up and just enjoy what they bring each week....

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
I get that but sitting in the same area since 1995, and paying for that privilege - for it to just get stripped off you - not a good felling. Does not back up what Benny and Peggy keep saying about listening and valuing our members. No issues with us sitting there as we where belted by most sides by 100+ points over the last 25 years ! Putting our hand in out pockets year after year.

There may only be a few thousand of us these but boy have they pissed off a hard core set of loyal supporters who have stuck by this club for a very very long time.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
joegarra said:
Blame me for the petition. Club asked if I stood there and asked people to sign. I replied, not at all, they almost grabbed the clipboards from me and I left and returned at 3/4 time. The anger and disappointment was palpable. Inner sanctum copped it today, losing their half time food and tickets to JDM. Club seems to forget where we were not that long ago.

And you are going down Media Street Joe.

I'm just a casual observer as have never taken up any of these packages (but maybe as AFL, MCC ans 43 RFC member I'm probably forking out the equivalent of one of these packages)

But fully behind the members rear guard action. However offering less for more is right out of the AFL playbook.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Seems a bit hasty. The days of sub-10,000 crowds at the MCG weren't that long ago. The wheel will turn again and it makes sense for the club to look after its faithful members, or at least not to screw them over for blow-ins.

Sub 10k......typo?

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
i lost my front row seat this year only stayed to Keep my grand final guarantee was thinking of trying to get another reversed seat but don't think it will happen now

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The concept of "I paid for me seat so it will remain empty if I choose not to go" is flawed in this day and age. It's the exact complaint many people have about the MCC. Reserved area seems like a viable alternative, but I can imagine the rapport you build by sitting around the same people for a long time becomes part of the footy experience.

Has RFC lobbied the MCC to see if one of the uber coiteries could use the MCC? It's never full, plenty of bars and rooms, it would also add another element of prestige for those looking for that.

It's going to be tough for the club with not just new members, but lower category members moving up in the membership to get that elusive fabled Grand Final guarantee. But through it I hope the club looks after the members that were there while we were sh!t. We will be *smile* again, though maybe not for another 20years or so.

Personally my 2 sons and I have MRC membership, and we're foundation members with our names up on that board, despite the boys never having lived in Australia. It's only for the GF Guarantee so I know I can fly the boys in to witness something I never have, a Richmond Grand Final. If something happens to the MRC GF guarantee that will most likely mean the end of our memberships other than the lowest cost token I can get just to keep the # of years up so that when we're sh!t again it might become useful to have the longevity.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Interesting meeting happening I’d imagine, look forward to hearing about it.

Hopefully a compromise can be met we’re as many can be kept happy as possible

joegarra

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 27, 2013
Werribee South
22nd Man said:
And you are going down Media Street Joe.

I'm just a casual observer as have never taken up any of these packages (but maybe as AFL, MCC ans 43 RFC member I'm probably forking out the equivalent of one of these packages)

But fully behind the members rear guard action. However offering less for more is right out of the AFL playbook.
Unintentional, they kept ringing me. I am really torn what to do. I'm a MCC member but prefer sitting in N1 with people I've known for over 20 years. I may just buy my girls their memberships so they don't lose their GF tickets, but sit in the MCC. Reserved seat for my wife is only 46 per game. Kids is only 16 for a reserved seat

14tempany

Tiger Rookie
Apr 12, 2009
ok busted a gut to get to that forum this evening
I missed the first part where I think they showed lost of charts and statistics to justify this move
I hope someone there early can fill me in on this part
the Forum opened to the floor but only 1 microphone for all these people
Lots of us patiently holding up our hands to be heard but only a lucky few were
the members that spoke up covered all the points about loyalty, passion, longevity, johnnie come latelies etc etc
Very heartfelt and emotional
Some good common sense suggestions were made by members ie finding a way with modern technology to see who does not use their seats and leaving them to roam but those of us who regularly attend to have what we have - a regular seat
Also most of us agreed if it is only about revenue then we would all pay more per year to bring the revenue up to what the club wants
There was some talk of a compromise being made with N6
it sounds like they might extend that bay for popular matches as everyone agreed that one bay will not be enough if all of us want to reserve for the big matches
Also the presenter Dino tried to say something about Ticketek but did not get to finish - perhaps they are working to reduce that $6 fee
Most people just really certain that the seats wont be available and although they were asked several times where would they put us if we rock up and no seats there was no answer given to this question
One 3121 member stood up and extolled the fact they all sit together as one big family and don't think they need to have regular seats but I don't think anyone found this convincing
someone asked the group to put hands up who did the questionnaire where all this was mooted
Hardly anyone put their hands up! The club said they asked 1500 members but these were members in all other parts of the reserved seats or coteries so a ridiculous sample when it should have been those in the affected bays!!!
It ended with us being told they would take things back to discuss but I think they made it clear they will not be rescinding the decision but maybe just maybe making some tweaks
It ended with a short presentation by Neil Balme which was good to hear but was not going to mollify the masses
Any questions let me know

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
22nd Man said:
Sub 10k......typo?

There were games in the late 80's against interstate clubs that dipped into the 7-8K range at the MCG. Have to confess to spending one game mostly in the TAB with one eye on the TV, when Darryl Cowie kicked a critical goal to help us over the line against the Eagles. It didn't feel like the footy.

There were also a few away games at Princes Park including one against Hawthorn, and another at Footscray that were under 10K. 1987-93 was worse than 2002-09!

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
I get why they don't want empty seats, but this seems to be more about getting more corporate types in at inflated prices at the expense of long time members. All the crowing about 100000 members then the club goes and does this to them. And with having 100000 members you would think the club would be already well placed financially, also the revenue from the non football related ventures. There is a salary cap a soft cap for coaches, so how much $$$ is enough?

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
Having not attended last night. I relied on feedback from those who went.

The feedback I receieved was it was a "poorly run forum basically to give the apperance the club cared about its members" The member who went spoke to a number of other members and has passed this feedback to me

"Each question was treated with a simple lack of respect to members who took the time to attend"

"The design of the forum did not actually answer the questions and rfc will not budge on its decision"

"I still have no idea what is happening to my reserved area"

"We are being punished because the club is penalising those who apparently have not turned up....if that is a requirement of being a paid up member then thats ridiculous. Raise it with those members directly then, make it a term and condition of the membership type"

"I still dont know after tonight if every 3121 and Premiership Circle member turns up to a game how that will work. We know both membership groups are at capacity. Each member whether reserved seat or area can be accomodated on level 2. But collectively we are losing bays and 1 possibly 2 bays will be sold thru ticketek should you not want to fight scrap and get there early to get seats"

"The whole level 2 culture will change. If someone asks me to move over so that their group of 7 can squeeze in ill be saying no given ill be there 2 hours before the game to ensure i get a seat"

"Greed"

"With success comes the money grab, im losing entitlements but no reduction on my costs"

"Aside from a room I can get a parma in pre game my 3121 membership is no different to a premiership circle as i dont use the social club. Its my ticket to the gf"

"All memberships with a gf guarantee should be separated so they are distinct. There needs to be one guaranteed gf list and a waiting list so that if prem circle want a reserved seat elsewhere they dont lose the entitlement"

"The *smile* survey didnt work"

Some pretty emotional people im told. At the save our skins as a teen I shook cans on punt road for 8 hours i still remember the pride i felt as each coin went in my tub knowing i was hopefully helping my club. Fighting for the rfc.

On field aside this relationship has become very one way.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Tiger Pops said:
we got a slot on the 7:30am 3AW news, Joe quoted and they said we had 800 signatures. I can not attend tonight but I would say this change is SET IN STONE. Id love to just leave it as it is. I purchase 4 seats but I only use 2 for 80% of the year. Its my right to have those two seats free as I have purchased them, I make no apologises as this costs me almost $2000 per year.

sorry but I disagree with this. we have had sell-out games where we haven't reached capacity. many blame the MCC, but clearly the lack of numbers in the reserved seating areas are an issue as well. the club wants all seats filled and have had a seat buy back scheme for years. have you used it? I bet you haven't. and this is why the club has made these changes. I feel very sorry for the people who are being forced to move after having the same seat for years, but I have little sympathy for people who don't utilise their reserved seats for most games.

Baloo said:
The concept of "I paid for me seat so it will remain empty if I choose not to go" is flawed in this day and age.

not just flawed, but inconsiderate to the club and other members. especially if the if the 55% turn up rate is correct. that is a shocking, shocking stat. it suggests that many have only bought this level of membership to get a GF ticket. it also justifies the argument from many corners that many of our 100,000 members are bandwagoners.

14tempany said:
ok busted a gut to get to that forum this evening
Also the presenter Dino tried to say something about Ticketek but did not get to finish - perhaps they are working to reduce that $6 fee

where did $6 come from? its $2.90 for Roaming Tiger members. I agree it should be free, but it hardly hurts the hip pocket.

MackTiger said:
On field aside this relationship has become very one way.

I have been a strong and vocal critic of the board and the way it runs itself for years. as much as this is a concern, that horse has bolted. we are stuck with who we are stuck with for better or for worse.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
deedee said:
I get why they don't want empty seats, but this seems to be more about getting more corporate types in at inflated prices at the expense of long time members. All the crowing about 100000 members then the club goes and does this to them. And with having 100000 members you would think the club would be already well placed financially, also the revenue from the non football related ventures. There is a salary cap a soft cap for coaches, so how much $$$ is enough?

Have a look at the total debt level that most clubs in the AFL are carrying. Unless you reach the holy grail even big clubs struggle to break even. Clubs ARE NOT profit making enterprises. As to how much money RFC need, have a look at our Punt Road Facilities, apart from the oval itself we are now lagging many in the industry. A decrepit Jack Dyer Stand, AFLW and visiting VFL teams having to use temporary portable sheds. Funding will be required to field the VFLW team, Academy Zone and support the Clubs charity partners.

Come on people time to be realize that you follow a massive club and that 100,000 members does not allow for people to be selfish & demand their own seat.

Putting aside self interest, (which I have had to do also), the club is doing what it needs to do to cater for the ever increasing membership base and ensure the long term prosperity of the club.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
caesar said:
Come on people time to be realize that you follow a massive club and that 100,000 members does not allow for people to be selfish & demand their own seat.

Putting aside self interest, (which I have had to do also), the club is doing what it needs to do to cater for the ever increasing membership base and ensure the long term prosperity of the club.

spot on. I wasn't gonna use the word selfish, but that's exactly what it is.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
*smile*., I pay for 4 seats, I have a child with cerebral palsy who might come to 3 games a year, I pay for 4 PREMIUM seats and make no apologizes if these seats are free. 3 times this years I gave back my seats when I did not attend (sold back via the club process). Im ok with change and optimising the chance for more to watch our beloved tigers but dont tag me with the word Selfish. When I have spent over $31,000 in membership over the last 20 years!

I very annoyed how this was communicated and how poor this change was executed.

Is what it is now...

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The club has effectively scalped their tickets. Reckon they have every right to feel extremely disappointed.

Let me create a couple of scenario’s for you that is entirely realistic IMO.

Imagine if we go back to back and sign up another 15,000 members next year. And everyone in the higher end categories such as Premiership Circle, 3121, etc, renew and they are sold out. The club will then create a waiting list (I'm sure there already is one). Now imagine if you were on that waiting list in 2019, but went to every game on a lower category of membership, only to miss out on a GF ticket. while many with Premiership Circle, 3121, etc, goes to minimal games all year and goes to the GF. Is that fair?

Also, imagine if we go on to create a dynasty and win multiple flags. Could we have 150,000 members in 5 years? By this stage people would be getting locked out of the ground at home games, let alone the reserved seating areas... and the club has no choice to cap member numbers (which is what I believe they do at the eagles). Can you imagine the reaction of supporters that get locked out of games, despite thousands still not tuning up to games because their attitude is “I have to the right to this seat because I have paid for it, therefore I can leave it empty if I chose to do so.”

This is why we need more flexible reserved seating. As I said, it is the way of the future.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
What is the club trying to fix? It sounds like the issue is brought about because some membership tiers have a grand final guarantee and some don't. If new Richmond Exec, 3121, Premiership Circle, MRC memberships didn't come with e GF guarantee, would we still have the same issue?

I guess I'm trying to work out if we really do have that many people who want to attend games that's pushing the lower memberships out, or whether it's just the GF that people are looking for. Two different issues which seem to be intermingled.