Richmond: The Lost Years | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond: The Lost Years

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
To be aired on Fox Footy next week - July 28.

I'll be looking forward to see this (or should I....terrible memories), but is it the right time to show this??

Promo looks a bit controversial. Personal snipes.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
They were definitely lost years, TF. Miserable for all concerned ... and how the heck did the supporter base survive it???
We've been in the wilderness for far too long, but the Tigers are getting the scent now.

Tigion

Us Against The World
Nov 25, 2006
East Gippsland
TigerForce said:

I'll be looking forward to see this (or should I....terrible memories), but is it the right time to show this??

Right time for sure all the mistakes that where made how long it took to crawl out of it brings us to where we are now
never to make these mistakes again

dewinton

Tiger Rookie
Jun 22, 2007
TigerForce said:

I've heard a little about this but not much...is it from 82-95? What players/ administration etc have been featured in the promos or who is involved do you know?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
dewinton said:
I've heard a little about this but not much...is it from 82-95? What players/ administration etc have been featured in the promos or who is involved do you know?

It would run from 1982 - possibly 1992 and any player/admin involved during that period. They were the dark years before Northey built us up again from 1993.

Promo shows Ian Wilson sniping at Rainesy leaving the club, and then Rainesy sniping at Francis Bourke's arrogance in taking over as head coach. It was just a promo, maybe being edited that way to attract the viewers, but I'm sure it won't be all positive stuff. I just hope it doesn't start a fire within the club via the media right now that we're focused on finals.

dewinton

Tiger Rookie
Jun 22, 2007
TigerForce said:
It would run from 1982 - possibly 1992 and any player/admin involved during that period. They were the dark years before Northey built us up again from 1993.

Promo shows Ian Wilson sniping at Rainesy leaving the club, and then Rainesy sniping at Francis Bourke's arrogance in taking over as head coach. It was just a promo, maybe being edited that way to attract the viewers, but I'm sure it won't be all positive stuff. I just hope it doesn't start a fire within the club via the media right now that we're focused on finals.
should be interesting viewing

dewinton

Tiger Rookie
Jun 22, 2007
TigerForce said:
Yeah....bittersweet feeling for me TBH.

It's like visiting a dead body at the grave again.
haha true I remember it all too well, just wasn't sure if they were focusing on 82-95 or 2001-present...

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
dewinton said:
haha true I remember it all too well, just wasn't sure if they were focusing on 82-95 or 2001-present...

They should make another one soon: Wallace: The really Lost Years 2005 - 2009

With some interviews from PREnders. ;D

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Learn from it and move on. Quite a few of us have lived it for the last 35 years (saw the 1980 Grand Final as a 14 year old).

How this club fell from where we were then to the depths of despair was staggering. Fortunately now, we're on the improve (although I still think our recruiting and player development can be improved - not at the Geelong level yet) and look like we can have a period of better on-field performances to match the off-field improvements of the last 2-3 years.

This club must never return to the terrible state it was in from the mid 80's until recent times. We owe that to the next generations of Tiger supporters - we must be elite in recruitment; player development; coaching and game style. Well done to every supporter that stuck by the club through very dark times and kept the club alive.

TigerMoz

DJ - What a Champ!
Nov 26, 2012
Melbourne
It is a compliment to Richmond that the time and effort has been made about this topic. In reality it is for the Tiger supporters and hopefully we can gain a good understanding of where things went wrong. From the outset it sounds like we were a victim of our own success and many sniper clubs have been very happy to see us down low for many years.

The world is a different place now and we are finally catching up. I can't wait to see this.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Good story for the Gen Ys & Gen Zs to experience.

If Nev Crowe didn't have that illness, he'd be saying a lot here for sure.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
I am looking forward to it. Have read a lot about the early 80s, our recruiting blunders, GR and Octa Wilson, Bourke, Cloke, Raines and Wood etc.

Should be a good watch.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Throughout all those bleak years (decades really) there is one individual in particular who can stand up for all of us to applaud and honour and that individual is Neville Crow. Thank heavens he was about the place when he headed-up the SOS campaign. Robbed of a premiership medallion by a disgraceful John Nicholls, but forever a Richmond icon.

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
They weren't lost decades for me. Anyone who has been part of the roar at the punt road end in a win knows that it's better to barrick for Richmond in a bad year than it is to support most clubs in good years