Richmond: The Lost Years | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond: The Lost Years

cmarkidis

"GO YOU TIGERS!!"
Nov 22, 2004
Those of us that have followed this club for many decades know all about what this documentary revealed, however, I hope our younger supporters can now understand: a) what a massive club this one is, and b) the desperate need for unity from all facets of the club which is the "not negotiable" for success.

Servants of the club must be afforded dignity by the club. As good as Graeme Richmond was for the club, he was equally as bad. You cannot continually brush humans aside with disrespect and expect the status quo to remain. The RFC stood still while the other clubs moved with the times. Times are a changing though, and the football world is beginning to understand what to expect when the beast is back.

Very good documentary, congratulations to Mike Sheahan and the team at Fox Footy.

And, smasha, it is good to have our club. None of us knew at the time, but we were very, very, very close to becoming the Melbourne North Tigers in a 3 way merger in the early 1990's under a secret set of meetings know as "Operation Alloy". If it wasn't for the huge supporter base this club has, we'd have been the 1st Fitzroy. Who else (apart from Collingwood) could sustain 30 years of crap??

GO YOU TIGERS!!

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Are they going to do a Colonwood expose, Ranald McDonald, Alan MacAlister and the bad business deals that nearly sent them broke...are they going to do Blooze expose on Elliot and brown bags under the table etc etc....
I'm glad I don't fill Uncle Ruperts pockets....
If this is the crap the dish up on pay for view...

I can take the crap years because I've been blessed with the mighty years...thank god I was born pre our dominance
Sorry for you guys that weren't...

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
tiger12 said:
Those of us that have followed this club for many decades know all about what this documentary revealed, however, I hope our younger supporters can now understand: a) what a massive club this one is, and b) the desperate need for unity from all facets of the club which is the "not negotiable" for success.

Servants of the club must be afforded dignity by the club. As good as Graeme Richmond was for the club, he was equally as bad. You cannot continually brush humans aside with disrespect and expect the status quo to remain. The RFC stood still while the other clubs moved with the times. Times are a changing though, and the football world is beginning to understand what to expect when the beast is back.

Very good documentary, congratulations to Mike Sheahan and the team at Fox Footy.

And, smasha, it is good to have our club. None of us knew at the time, but we were very, very, very close to becoming the Melbourne North Tigers in a 3 way merger in the early 1990's under a secret set of meetings know as "Operation Alloy". If it wasn't for the huge supporter base this club has, we'd have been the 1st Fitzroy. Who else (apart from Collingwood) could sustain 30 years of crap??

GO YOU TIGERS!!
Well put Tiger12.

TigerBalm

On Victory we thrive... Just Eat Em Alive !
May 14, 2011
Apart from ratings, what was the purpose of showing this doco at this time of the year ?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
TigerBalm said:
Apart from ratings, what was the purpose of showing this doco at this time of the year ?

No one else watches fox bar RFC supporters.
In 6 weeks my fox will come to a stop till march next year.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
TigerBalm said:

Ratings don't really equate on pay for view, only subscribers I'd imagine or RFC aficionados who like to torture themselves.... :hihi

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
tigers80 said:
I can take the crap years because I've been blessed with the mighty years...thank god I was born pre our dominance
Sorry for you guys that weren't...
Your a lucky man tigers80 how old are you?
Wish I could have seen them in their prime. Was born in June 1980 so I find it hard to claim I remember the 80 flag. The best I've had is the 95 semi final. So long ago that I had new pubes and now I'm going gray. Just pathetic. :'(

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Didnt think it went deep enough to b e honest. Is hard to cover 30 years in an hour so maybe it needed to be a 3 parter. Only spoke to what, 8 participants?, out of 100s and didn't go ino enough detail. Still interesting though but could have been better .

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TigerBalm said:

They've been advertising it since the pre-season. I got the impression they've held off televising it until we were near-certainties to play finals. Maybe an arrangement with the club? Could be wrong.

Curiosity got the better of me and I watched a recording. Have to say I was disappointed and agree with a poster on that other site who said it "lacked depth". Seemed like an opportunity for a few people to deflect, while other important protagonists (like Bourke) who presumably weren't interested in doing that, steered clear.

It probably could've been done just as well, or better, in a series of Rhys-Jones interviews in Inside Football. Don't think I'll sit through it again.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
zgod said:
Your a lucky man tigers80 how old are you?
Wish I could have seen them in their prime. Was born in June 1980 so I find it hard to claim I remember the 80 flag. The best I've had is the 95 semi final. So long ago that I had new pubes and now I'm going gray. Just pathetic. :'(

Ahh, zgod, we old Tiger supporters could regale you with tales and stories of the glory days where the Tigers were supreme and ruled the jungle.

Sure, I experienced the losses of the 1972 and 1982 GFs at the G, but I also got to experience five premierships, with the ones in 1973, 1974 and 1980 being the most vivid.

Hopefully your time, along with others, will come in the not too distant future.
It's time for the new generation of Tiger supporters to taste the sweet sweet elixir of premiership success.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
In 1982 we appointed Bourke as Coach.
Footscray identified a Richmond guy called Malthouse and appointed him as their Coach.
The rest is history.

TigerGoneNorth

It all starts with One's defence.
Feb 6, 2005
London
Bullarto Tiger said:
Throughout all those bleak years (decades really) there is one individual in particular who can stand up for all of us to applaud and honour and that individual is Neville Crow. Thank heavens he was about the place when he headed-up the SOS campaign. Robbed of a premiership medallion by a disgraceful John Nicholls, but forever a Richmond icon.

Great post.

I bumped into Crowe once after the SOS years and thanked him for all his work. He simply said "It's my club too." He bleeds black and yellow.

And disgraceful Nicholls was too. Bastard.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
poppa x said:
In 1982 we appointed Bourke as Coach.
Footscray identified a Richmond guy called Malthouse and appointed him as their Coach.
The rest is history.

He would've got the ass sooner or latter too.
He would've disappeared into the Wilderness toor

cmarkidis

"GO YOU TIGERS!!"
Nov 22, 2004
zippadeee said:
He would've got the ass sooner or latter too.
He would've disappeared into the Wilderness toor

Yep. Same if Sheedy stuck around and became coach. The bottom line was the club was run pathetically. The fish stinks from the head.

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
Dont have Foxtel so unable to see it (probably not the best tonic after the loss).
Personally would make a great follow up to Elliott's excellent book Hafey years.
Would love to hear more from key Richmond people over these like Raines, Wood, Bourke, Jewell, Sproule, bartlett, Roach, Weightman even Alan Bond from 1980's
Then Crowe, Northey, Daphne, Hogg, Walls, Gieschen, Frawley

Would make a great book if the right questions were asked, whether people buy as Richmond supporters probably wont to pay to relive the past and not many neutrals interested (though am keen to read the new Swans book)

Knighta

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 17, 2008
I'm a young'un so it was interesting watching for me but two things i found interesting/odd.

1) Bourke declined to come on. He clearly feels or knew he was going to cop it from all sides and probably made the right decision but still would have been great to hear his side. Especially re: Cloke and Raines.

2) Just glossed over Northey. I think they needed to look at why Northey left because that was an administration mistake as well.

And finally the only poor thing was Sheahan licking Walls' boots. God can not believe how much he was fawning over him like he was a triple premiership coach. The bloke coached one premiership in how many years? The other thing was Bowden who completely contradicted Walls. Walls made out like the players were fearful of him because of past coaches losing their *smile*. Bowden said he would crack it at anyone.

Wildcat

Tiger Superstar
Oct 25, 2012
i missed it - but heres a link for others who did as well. Cant find a torrent - youtube will do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0xBJHu7_N4