Richmond V GWS at Mildura 23/10/22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond V GWS at Mildura 23/10/22

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Big game next week, it is up to us as to whether we make top 4. We win we deserve top 4, lose and still make finals so a good result for the season.

Clearly should be very competitive against NM but they are a good team so will be a big challenge.

Such a big step up from previous years.

Looking forward to going to Arden St, would be decades since I went to a game there.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
They haven't had 5 months off, the season only finished a month ago.

I could see an argument if the AFLW season was in the preseason months still and I think they did used to do games then.

Bit rough to expect them to bang another few months on to a ten month campaign of high running loads, heavy physical exertion and mental stress though.

By the way, if you think they get an easy run physically, I suggest you grab a footy and head down to your local park tomorrow and practice 50 centre bounces. Repeat that 3 times a week for 10 months and see how the body is feeling, and that's before even thinking about the 15-20km high intensity running each weekend and the associated training for that. It's a highly physically demanding job.

No doubt they work pretty hard and deserve a rest, but you are ignoring just how dreadful the WAFL umpiring is.

Some help is needed urgently.

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
They haven't had 5 months off, the season only finished a month ago.

I could see an argument if the AFLW season was in the preseason months still and I think they did used to do games then.

Bit rough to expect them to bang another few months on to a ten month campaign of high running loads, heavy physical exertion and mental stress though.

By the way, if you think they get an easy run physically, I suggest you grab a footy and head down to your local park tomorrow and practice 50 centre bounces. Repeat that 3 times a week for 10 months and see how the body is feeling, and that's before even thinking about the 15-20km high intensity running each weekend and the associated training for that. It's a highly physically demanding job.

I know they haven't had 5 months off yet. They have 5 months off between the end of September and the pre-season games starting. I'm not saying they don't need a break, but they would only be adding on 1 additional month (to end of October). It probably wouldn't have much impact at all on their physical fitness. I assume they are doing it due to cost, ie. the AFL umps will cost them more, so they go with cheap umpires.

I notice you ignored my comment around soccer referees. Thery run around 10-11km per game twice per week at similar intensity to an AFL umpire (bearing in mind AFL umpires swap over control to 1 of the other 2 umpires that umpire an AFL game).

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I know they haven't had 5 months off yet. They have 5 months off between the end of September and the pre-season games starting. I'm not saying they don't need a break, but they would only be adding on 1 additional month (to end of October). It probably wouldn't have much impact at all on their physical fitness. I assume they are doing it due to cost, ie. the AFL umps will cost them more, so they go with cheap umpires.

I notice you ignored my comment around soccer referees. Thery run around 10-11km per game twice per week at similar intensity to an AFL umpire (bearing in mind AFL umpires swap over control to 1 of the other 2 umpires that umpire an AFL game).

I'm certain it won't be due to cost, it will be due to the need for umpires to have a physical and mental break.

I didn't ignore the soccer ref comment, that was my point about bouncing the ball. As far as I'm aware that is the most physical action any umpire/ref performs in any sport in the world. People underestimate what a pure physical feat bouncing the footy like that is. Hugely taxing on the body.

Soccer refs don't do that so they are already miles ahead in terms of physical toll, AFL umpires cover more like 14-15kms in a game and my guess is AFL would do more high intensity coverage (disclaimer I know stuff all about soccer so I could be wrong) so it isn't surprising soccer refs have the capacity to back up. My thinking would also be that they would make a lot less decisions in each game (refer to previous disclaimer) due to the nature of AFL as a heavily contested sport so the mental burden is maybe not as heavy.

I'm definitely with you in principle, ditch the bounce, get rid of boundary and goal umpires and have more of a zone coverage like we are moving towards to cut down the running, get them on full time and have the same bank go all year. I just think it is much too hard an ask right now.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Conti certainly drops the shoulders.

Unsurprising that the umpires award her frees when they can’t get the basics of the game correct. Frees are paid as though they are being plucked out of a lotto barrel.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Conti certainly drops the shoulders.

Unsurprising that the umpires award her frees when they can’t get the basics of the game correct. Frees are paid as though they are being plucked out of a lotto barrel.
I don't think she drops the shoulders. She has a habit of throwing the arms out plus making it look like an opposition tackle lingers too long.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I don't think she drops the shoulders. She has a habit of throwing the arms out plus making it look like an opposition tackle lingers too long.
One of the GWS players had definitely gone to the J Selwood Academy. She was attracting undeserved frees for high contact on a number of occasions.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I dont think Monique Conti is a stager myself, but we all see things differently I suppose. Some of the tackling techniques used by some of the girls, ours included, are all over the shop at times, bloody arms and legs going everywhere.
As they get better and become more professional in training etc, things will no doubt improve.

I must say I love watching her break away from the pack, low to the ground and in comparison to many of her peers, she has a beautiful kicking action.

She's like a female version of Scott Pendlebury. .... haven't heard it mentioned anywhere, I wonder if he played much basketball as a kid?

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I dont think Monique Conti is a stager myself,

Well that escalated quickly. :ROFLMAO:

Knowing this forum, before it becomes TBR called Conti a stager, just some context.

Unlike most posters, I consider Selwood a champion and have no issue with anything he does. I consider drawing free kicks to be a legitimate skill.

I have no sympathy for anyone crying about shrugging shoulders, ducking or anything else that draws a free kick. Improve your technique or better still shut up and get the ball.

So I'm saying Conti is very good at drawing free kicks, which I admire, and I'd love to see our other players become as proficient.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don't admire drawing free kicks, just a different perspective I suppose.

One thing I looked at after the game, given the wind, was the inside 50s - 13 to one end and 39 to the other. Geez that was some wind. When we got the first goal in the last quarter I was rapt, it was clearly very difficult to score at that end.

DS

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Well that escalated quickly. :ROFLMAO:

Knowing this forum, before it becomes TBR called Conti a stager, just some context.

Unlike most posters, I consider Selwood a champion and have no issue with anything he does. I consider drawing free kicks to be a legitimate skill.

I have no sympathy for anyone crying about shrugging shoulders, ducking or anything else that draws a free kick. Improve your technique or better still shut up and get the ball.

So I'm saying Conti is very good at drawing free kicks, which I admire, and I'd love to see our other players become as proficient.
You would have loved Kevin Bartlett throwing the ball out in front of himself to draw the holding the man frees. It was an exceptional art form and one to be admired.

Reactions: 1 user