Richmond VFL V Scats game day | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond VFL V Scats game day

I hate writing off players too early - I reckon we as punters do that all too often - most need more time than we and sometimes even the clubs are willing to give them.

That being said, I'm majorly concerned by RCD and Dow, they just don't look like footballers. Contrast that to Sonsie, Clarke, Gibcus and Banks (Browne hasn't shown enough yet)...these draftees all look like footballers. I hope they all make it, because its increasingly looking like we missed with two first round picks.

For some bizarre reason we don't have a great record at these later first round picks, Lennon C.Ellis and now it looks like RCD and Dow. Rioli is one exception I can think of..oh and bloody Higlet.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure I'll get hammered for this But, I'd give RCD & Dow another year. :help
I wont hammer you TT.

Think you might be onto something. I havent ever been able to see it with RCD and I think Dow was a wrong selection (Paddy was already in the system as a reference check and Thomson is stagnating big time), but reckon that with 3 retiring for sure (Shedda, Lambert and Caddy already), you may be right.
We prob have 1-2 others that could be released before them (and depends on who, if any, unsigned players actually leave) - but maybe Martyn could be let go before those two given the desperate need we have for mids.
so I see your point.

Reactions: 1 users
I hate writing off players too early - I reckon we as punters do that all too often - most need more time than we and sometimes even the clubs are willing to give them.

That being said, I'm majorly concerned by RCD and Dow, they just don't look like footballers. Contrast that to Sonsie, Clarke, Gibcus and Banks (Browne hasn't shown enough yet)...these draftees all look like footballers. I hope they all make it, because its increasingly looking like we missed with two first round picks.

For some bizarre reason we don't have a great record at these later first round picks, Lennon C.Ellis and now it looks like RCD and Dow. Rioli is one exception I can think of..oh and bloody Higlet.
On Dow and in particular RCD. It’s the lack of progress that is most concerning. Both still putting in the same type of performances in their third and forth years respectively, that they were in their first year. If they haven’t really improved enough now, why is another year or two in our system going to make a difference?

As far as our record with mid teen picks? It doesn’t look great in isolation but how does it compare historically to other clubs with similar picks? Funnily enough Geelong have had a number of picks in the teens in the same time period and haven’t exactly nailed every one of them, even with the help of the divine talent spotting gifts of Stephen Wells.

Watched a bit of this game, just the last half of the second quarter and some of the third. It really was a very pedestrian game, quite slow and skill levels not high.

Stack looked a step above and Aarts looked good. Not convinced about Aarts as we have seen he is at that horrible level, sort of in between VFL and AFL. Stack needs a run in the seniors.

Not sure Ryan is yet ready for AFL, but he looks bigger than I remember. Clearly a work in progress and needs to bulk up a bit more but it isn't like he isn't trying to do this, looks a slight build so the work he would be doing to get bigger must be substantial. Maybe a game this year but definitely we should be looking to have him in the seniors in 2023.

Mate I saw little of but he just seems to lack basic football skills. Gee, he can sure drop an easy mark. Lots of work to do on basic footy skills and let's assess it from there. Has to learn to jump and mark.

Parker looks like he will remain a depth player, not bad in that role but just not in the best 22. You know he will give his all and then some if he gets a run in the seniors so well worth keeping.

Have to keep working on the skills, at the AFL level too. Need some of that extra soft cap money for more coaches.

DS

Edwards could be the sub,? the club wants to (and I understand why), get him to 300.

If we play Cumbo, based on what we always do, he wont be the sub, he will be in the 22.
Yep, totally agree, Sheeda's best asset right now is in a shorter gametime role, so sub would be perfect and he can go flatchat for the time he is on and not have to pace himself as seems the case this year.

I dont have much time for sentimentality in regards to Football I'm afraid, these are highly financially rewarded players these days who arent hurting for too much in life, but for Sheeda I'll make an exception.

The way this bloke turned his early career into what it is finishing up as, is one of the great stories of persistence and never giving up.

Who could ever forget the early days and the Shank nickname every time he got the ball, bloke couldnt kick over a Jam Tin, but my word, there weren't many more important in the resurgence of this Greaat Club than this bloke in the last half dozen years.

Get your 300 Sheeda, richly deserved.

Reactions: 3 users
Dow was looking good in the seniors early this year since his injury what's happened ?.

• Sad