Rob Wiley interview | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rob Wiley interview

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Agree Tim. I am still conflicted on GR's legacy. One one hand, 5 Premierships in a golden era. On the other, some of his decisions and treatment of players and the Collingwood recruiting war set us back 35 years.

37 years of Shiitt
Vs
5 Flags

What would you take?

*Footscary before 2016, one flag
*Melbourne 50+ years without a flag
*Stkilda 1966 1 flag
*Carlton 1995 25 years
*Essendon 2000 20 years
**The Richmond Rozellas No Flags

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Had a unique way of running with the ball - almost a waddle with the ball curled into his forearm in one hand while deciding what to do with it. And an almost off-handed way of putting the ball across his boot when kicking around corners that was often pinpoint.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
37 years of Shiitt
Vs
5 Flags

What would you take?

*Footscary before 2016, one flag
*Melbourne 50+ years without a flag
*Stkilda 1966 1 flag
*Carlton 1995 25 years
*Essendon 2000 20 years
**The Richmond Rozellas No Flags
Can we choose the flags without the other stuff? :)

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Had a unique way of running with the ball - almost a waddle with the ball curled into his forearm in one hand while deciding what to do with it. And an almost off-handed way of putting the ball across his boot when kicking around corners that was often pinpoint.
Spot in LTRTR. Rob talks about how he spent many hours practicing his kicking for goal on the run with his Perth coach, Ken Armstrong before training sessions.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
A fabulous game Antman. It was Round 3, 1982. We kicked 10 last quarter goals to the Punt Road End, Rob finished the match with a lazy 7 straight!

I was at that game! From basically level at half-time to winning by 10 goals - glorious! The last quarter was an avalanche.

Reactions: 1 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
I was at that game! From basically level at half-time to winning by 10 goals - glorious! The last quarter was an avalanche.
It was Spook, goal after goal to the Punt Road end. Plenty of skill and firepower in that team!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Went with a Carlton supporter and there wasn't a spare seat in the house. We ended up sitting on the steps at ground level in the Southern Stand, trying to dodge people going up and down. Carlton mate had the last laugh that year...

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It was Spook, goal after goal to the Punt Road end. Plenty of skill and firepower in that team!
I just had a little look at the video: my two faves Disco and Maurice, the Flea, the Ghost, Bryan Wood, Wiley - they were my six favourites, plus Raines, Cloke, Rowlings, Keane, the underrated Landy, BT - a heap of talent.

Went with a Carlton supporter and there wasn't a spare seat in the house. We ended up sitting on the steps at ground level in the Southern Stand, trying to dodge people going up and down. Carlton mate had the last laugh that year...
My memory is a little hazy as I was only 9 years old, but it was Easter Monday? We'd been camping at Lakes Entrance with a few families but made it back for this. My recollection is the last quarter avalanche went to my left so that would put us in the Olympic Stand, second level.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Over 90k at the G that day, it was huge! Hopefully your Blues mate was gracious in victory at the end of the season!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I just had a little look at the video: my two faves Disco and Maurice, the Flea, the Ghost, Bryan Wood, Wiley - they were my six favourites, plus Raines, Cloke, Rowlings, Keane, the underrated Landy, BT - a heap of talent.

My memory is a little hazy as I was only 9 years old, but it was Easter Monday? We'd been camping at Lakes Entrance with a few families but made it back for this. My recollection is the last quarter avalanche went to my left so that would put us in the Olympic Stand, second level.

Landy had an AA year IMO. Tough, long kick, good leap, strong mark, shut down all the gun small goalkickers. Was never quite as good again.

Yeah, Easter Monday.

Disconcerting how the commentators kept referring to "the replay" on the new scoreboard, which the TV viewers weren't shown.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Over 90k at the G that day, it was huge! Hopefully your Blues mate was gracious in victory at the end of the season!

The bastard gave me money to buy him a GF Record because he couldn't get a ticket, then was on the phone on the Sunday asking me to bring it over. I still remember the depressing BMX ride; felt like the end of the world.

G'day Scratch!

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Landy had an AA year IMO. Tough, long kick, good leap, strong mark, shut down all the gun small goalkickers. Was never quite as good again.

Yeah, Easter Monday.

Disconcerting how the commentators kept referring to "the replay" on the new scoreboard, which the TV viewers weren't shown.
That's right, the scoreboard was brand spankin'. Wiley with a lazy 33 and 7. Landy had a couple more good years after this I reckon. We went to the footy more in 83/84 and Dad loved him.

Reactions: 2 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012

Some absolute Richmond royalty there Spook! Landy was very underrated, tough and a lovely left foot kick. He missed the 1980 Premiership after belting Kenny Sheldon and getting 4 weeks in the Qualifying Final at Waverley that year.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
That's right, the scoreboard was brand spankin'. Wiley with a lazy 33 and 7. Landy had a couple more good years after this I reckon. We went to the footy more in 83/84 and Dad loved him.

Was 5th in the b&f and 3rd the next year, so your memory is better than mine.

Had no profile at Geelong and was an excellent cheap pickup.

Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers says "He came from Echuca as a forward, but his career flourished as a defender when he crossed to Richmond. In defence he revealed a streak of iron that hadn't been evident earlier, and his tackling and consistency improved dramatically."

Last edited:

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
The bastard gave me money to buy him a GF Record because he couldn't get a ticket, then was on the phone on the Sunday asking me to bring it over. I still remember the depressing BMX ride; felt like the end of the world.

G'day Scratch!
Gee you have done well to make it out of the house on the Sunday! I think I was too depressed to do much for ages!

• Haha

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Had no profile at Geelong and was an excellent cheap pickup.
Even though he didn't have the same impact as Landy, I also liked Andy Preston in the 82 team. Him pulling a hammy and Mick Malthouse doing a shoulder in the second semi were huge outs, given we were killed by their little blokes in the GF.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Even though he didn't have the same impact as Landy, I also liked Andy Preston in the 82 team. Him pulling a hammy and Mick Malthouse doing a shoulder in the second semi were huge outs, given we were killed by their little blokes in the GF.

Preston was certainly a willing type. What sticks in my memory the most is that Mum couldn't stand him!