Rob Wiley interview | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rob Wiley interview

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Watching the old games what's apparent is how much space there is for players to exercise their craft.
Sure people can say the game these days has never been better but I honestly think that modern coaching coupled with supremely fit athletes, has killed much of what made footy great as a spectacle. There's just so much congestion in 2020 by comparison. I kind of long for the days players weren't very fit & liked a beer & a smoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
A fabulous game Antman. It was Round 3, 1982. We kicked 10 last quarter goals to the Punt Road End, Rob finished the match with a lazy 7 straight!

I walked out of that cracking match feeling the flag was ours. How could anyone stop the clinic we just put on. Doh!

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Wiley was the best snap at goal I have seen play for Richmond, he was uncanny. Very underrated, a true rover, highly skilled on both sides.

Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
This thread is a great read everyone. Robbie Wiley was a great favourite of mine.

There was an earlier post about the left foot running goal from 55 meters out in the 3rd quarter of the 1980 grand final. When people remember that game KB’s goal when he made Stan Magro look stupid in the last Quarter is often played and it’s true it was a fantastic goal. However I was on the half forward flank where the AFL reserve is now 3 rows from the fence and I was very close to Rob when he kicked that goal. IMO it was the goal of the game.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Wiley was the best snap at goal I have seen play for Richmond, he was uncanny. Very underrated, a true rover, highly skilled on both sides.
Yes he was great snap at goal. I think Flea Weightman was the best shot at goal on the "run" that I've seen.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Thanks for kicking this thread off...I heard it live or was it one of the multiple repeats on SEN late one night...thought it was weekend before last but days blur into each other. Main point of mine was how he was a high class recruit bit like Prestia that was a big reason we went from non contenders to premiers. Amazing he was still good enough to be playing for Eagles in ther debut season 1987 after having won 5 B&Fs in Perth by 1978.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Don't think it helped my HSC results.

DS
Like. Day after GF was the signal to start cracking into exam prep in my uni days. 82 I went to more games in a season than I have before or since. Though I missed the Essendon game mentioned above as I went down to Tas to do a couple of bush walks ...but heard it on the radio when we were driving back to Launceston.

Reactions: 1 user

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
I walked out of that cracking match feeling the flag was ours. How could anyone stop the clinic we just put on. Doh!
I know what you mean Tora! Our best that year was simply amazing and we had so much talent. However, we did get scored against quite heavily and didn't beat Carlton or Hawthorn in the H&A matches. I still think if we had Malthouse and Preston playing in the GF and Bruce Tempany didn't have his arm broken by a McConville attempted kick off the ground, we would have won the flag.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
This thread is a great read everyone. Robbie Wiley was a great favourite of mine.

There was an earlier post about the left foot running goal from 55 meters out in the 3rd quarter of the 1980 grand final. When people remember that game KB’s goal when he made Stan Magro look stupid in the last Quarter is often played and it’s true it was a fantastic goal. However I was on the half forward flank where the AFL reserve is now 3 rows from the fence and I was very close to Rob when he kicked that goal. IMO it was the goal of the game.
Agree Sin. That goal is simply unbelievable. Rob looked too far out to kick it, but the ball just kept going!
Merv Keane kicked 2 very long goals in the GF as well. You are very lucky to have been there for that special day in 1980!

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Thanks for kicking this thread off...I heard it live or was it one of the multiple repeats on SEN late one night...thought it was weekend before last but days blur into each other. Main point of mine was how he was a high class recruit bit like Prestia that was a big reason we went from non contenders to premiers. Amazing he was still good enough to be playing for Eagles in ther debut season 1987 after having won 5 B&Fs in Perth by 1978.
No worries 22nd. Yes, Rob's longevity was fantastic. To win 8 B&F's says a lot about the quality of the player for sure.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Like. Day after GF was the signal to start cracking into exam prep in my uni days. 82 I went to more games in a season than I have before or since. Though I missed the Essendon game mentioned above as I went down to Tas to do a couple of bush walks ...but heard it on the radio when we were driving back to Launceston.
Would have been a very exciting last quarter to listen to in the car!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Agree Sin. That goal is simply unbelievable. Rob looked too far out to kick it, but the ball just kept going!
Merv Keane kicked 2 very long goals in the GF as well. You are very lucky to have been there for that special day in 1980!

One of Merv's looked like a bit of a helicopter but it sailed through anyway.

Cloke also went for a bit of a stroll and kicked a long goal after a couple of bounces in the 3rd quarter.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
One of Merv's looked like a bit of a helicopter but it sailed through anyway.

Cloke also went for a bit of a stroll and kicked a long goal after a couple of bounces in the 3rd quarter.
It was typical Cloke, he missed a couple of sodas and then kicked one he shouldn't have

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Your brother is a fine judge MB78! As a kid, I used to read about all of the interstate players we were chasing, it was very exciting to follow. Some like Rob and Maurice came over to us, some like Michael Aish kept us crossing our fingers!
Weren't we right into Stephen Michael as well but he would never come over?