Robbie Tarrant | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Robbie Tarrant

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Talia & Tarrant means a shake up coming to the backline, maybe Balta to a wing? Balta would be almost unstoppable on a wing.
Whatever happens, the idea of Balta being capable of playing a swingman/utility role is appetising. A freakish big body between the arcs is highly desirable. This would be about getting extra height and aerial ability into the team without sacrificing pace where it's most needed.

Reactions: 1 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
issue is we need someone to hold Dave's old spot and do the job well enough. This will make our backline must stronger and frees up Nick, Dylan & Balta to play more attacking football. I agree with most, we do have a window opportunity of one to three years. Finding the right person/s is an important task. Then look at drafting the possible requirement for the future spots.

Reactions: 1 user

Roksman

Tiger Rookie
Feb 12, 2020
Talia is a negating lock down defender - not much more to his game.

Tarrant is capable of locking down but also is a great intercept player and provides rebound out of defence - he is a much better player than Talia.

Also, expect Tarrant to be included in the trade for CCJ so it won't impact the Chol compensation - I expect an amical deal as they will want to look after Robbie too.

Reactions: 6 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Other then attire I generally agree with you tt, however I’m more then happy to have one or the other providing 2 ifs , fitness and we believe we can have genuine crack at 4 in 6.

On Tarrant I though his back was cactus , however I read it was just a growth type thing that’s been removed.

I see little future with Miller and Garth, however I see potential in Biggy down back , Tarrant or Talia “should” be able to provide the season and a half needed for Biggy to progress ( along with another draft pick ) as well as keeping us competing in 22 an 23
I won Pakenhams Best Dressed man 2012-2016.

But I don't subscribe to the theory we need to recruit 30+ yr olds to stay competitive for a top 4 finish. It's a very short term, low return theory.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I won Pakenhams Best Dressed man 2012-2016.

But I don't subscribe to the theory we need to recruit 30+ yr olds to stay competitive for a top 4 finish. It's a very short term, low return theory.
Do you subscribe to the theory we need to recruit an experienced key defender?

Pakenham's Best Dressed man :mhihi Did you wear your good flanny?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If they are unrestricted
Why not try both and then *smile* them off if they break down over the summer

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
Dont write off Miller. He showed that he can play as a tall defender against Hawthorn.
Just a small sample size but enough to say we have a player.
He was mobile and had good hands.
It basically took 4 years and no other tall backmen available for him to get a game. I too thought he went ok but I can't see him being anything but an emergency back up.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Trade war with north!
It is a war that we won't win.
Sure, we can sign Tarrant as he is UFA...but...they can sign CCJ in the PSD and we get nothing, plus signing Tarrant would equal zero compensation for Chol.

2 x youngish KP players for one proven KP defender but whose best has passed him and will be lucky to play another 2 years?

We don't come out of this too well at all.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Do you subscribe to the theory we need to recruit an experienced key defender?

Pakenham's Best Dressed man :mhihi Did you wear your good flanny?
My only flanny.

Personally I think our defending troupe of Grimes, Vlaustin, Balta, Broad (along with the smalls Rioli, Short, Mansell etc) can do the job but if we are going to get a KPD let’s get this Gibcus and hopefully set ourselves up long term. Or a state leaguer . Maybe Nathan Krueger. Or Sam Weideman. Maybe Jake Riccardi. If we are keeping Miller then him. Just someone (hopefully) longer term.

We get another 30+ yr old it’s just another player we are going to replace along with Jack, Trent, Shed in a season or 2. Just my opinion of course.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
My only flanny.

Personally I think our defending troupe of Grimes, Vlaustin, Balta, Broad (along with the smalls Rioli, Short, Mansell etc) can do the job but if we are going to get a KPD let’s get this Gibcus and hopefully set ourselves up long term. Or a state leaguer . Maybe Nathan Krueger. Or Sam Weideman. Maybe Jake Riccardi. If we are keeping Miller then him. Just someone (hopefully) longer term.

We get another 30+ yr old it’s just another player we are going to replace along with Jack, Trent, Shed in a season or 2. Just my opinion of course.
Why not do both? Pick up an older experienced defender (Tarrant, Tahlia) and draft a younger one (Gibcus) who can then be shielded for a season or two while his body and game develop.

Reactions: 7 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
My only flanny.

Krueger will stay at Cats, to take over from Henderson.

Weedyman and Riccardi are potential targets.

From a list management perspective you,re right that it loads up on the retirement exodus. In a way it's been a small benefit thar Rance quit early which gave Balta opportunity surrounded by an elite defensive unit. Astbury out is another transition moment. Our smalls are regenerated.
If we can bring in Weideman or Riccardi thenathe backline is reborn

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
Whatever happens, the idea of Balta being capable of playing a swingman/utility role is appetising. A freakish big body between the arcs is highly desirable. This would be about getting extra height and aerial ability into the team without sacrificing pace where it's most needed.
I know others on here have touted the idea of Balta on a half back flank, he could really rip it from there.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Sure, we can sign Tarrant as he is UFA...but...they can sign CCJ in the PSD and we get nothing, plus signing Tarrant would equal zero compensation for Chol.

2 x youngish KP players for one proven KP defender but whose best has passed him and will be lucky to play another 2 years?

Ok would you take Peter McCormack or Graig Stewart?

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
We are going to have to bring in a mature key forward to provide coverage now we have lost Chol and CCJ.

There doesn't seem to be one of them around so we will have to settle for a key back or two to allow Balta to cover forward if required, unless we want to rely on Garthwaite or Miller (assuming they are on the list).

We simply can't go into a season with only Lynch and Riewoldt as key forward options.
Noah Balta is an extraordinary talent.
He hasn’t yet reached anything like capacity but I am confident that he will and that next year, injury permitting, we will see massive overall improvements in his game.
The best place for him to use his ability is at half forward.
I think Ben Miller will become a regular and do well.
But agree that we need a fall back, full back, which our recruiters are apparently all over.
I think Noah will be our 3rd tall forward.
Also hoping our first draft pick effectively pick 9, gets us Amiss.

Roksman

Tiger Rookie
Feb 12, 2020

Clubs don't "go to war" in trade period - list managers are much bigger than petty stuff like this. They understand their entire job is dependent on sustaining relationships with other clubs.

IF Robbie Tarrant says he wants to get to Richmond, they will do what's best for him and help achieve that as amicably as possible - He has been a great club servant to them.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
With Asbury ,Talia, Tarrant,it's all about their current abilities plus their ability to still play,and clearly Tarrant is the healthiest of the three defenders.

Reactions: 2 users

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
If Tarrant is fit, he will be awesome and pretty similar to what Lake was for the hawks

Awesome player than will actually be an upgrade on Astbury ( if fit )

Thing is though he is a UFA, so it may end up nullifying the Chol comp, so effectively it will be Tarrant for Chol.