Round 1 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 1 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE ONLY TEAM THAT CAN GO WITH MELBOURNE IF THEY IMPROVE IN 2022​

SEN 15/03/22

18RiBr21APP893084040.JPG

Gerard Whateley and David King are both bullish on Richmond returning to the dominant form that saw them recently win three premierships in five years in 2021.

The Tigers famously hit a level that almost all other teams couldn’t go to in their premiership years of 2017, 2019 and 2020, but an injury crisis struck last year that saw the club miss the top eight for the first time since 2016.

It was similar to Melbourne’s performances late in the season, as the 2021 premiers went to another level that others couldn’t match when the pressure was on.
While acknowledging the season is hard to predict, Whateley believes that if Melbourne continues to improve, Richmond are the only team that can hit such a high level.

“They’re my one team that can go with Melbourne,” Whateley said on SEN Mornings.

“I’ll put an ‘if’ in front of it. If Melbourne further the standard… (if there is) a five per cent, ten per cent rise, and that’s what I anticipate, I think Melbourne are just getting started, so if they lift the standard further, who could go with them?

“Richmond are the only team to my eye that could go with it.
“It’s not a 23 round measure, it’s what does it all look like once we get to the endpoint.

“So I’m on red alert for Richmond, I am a believer that they’re not finished.
“I can easily see them straight back into the top two.”

Meanwhile, King shares similar beliefs about the Tigers.
Midfielders Dustin Martin and Dion Prestia are fully fit after missing chunks of last season, and Damien Hardwick has almost all of his best 22 available.

They competed strongly in their pre-season win over Geelong before cruising in the next game against Hawthorn, and King predicts those gears are something fans are going to see from Richmond once again.
“I’m a massive believer in this football club, Damien Hardwick taps into people and players like no one else,” King added.

“I think the recruitment of Robbie Tarrant hasn’t been spoken about enough, it’s a Brian Lake-style event, he can come in and just lock down a position down back which is hard to fill.

“If you’ve got any vulnerability at full-back you pay the price at the pointy part of the year, that will be sorted (by Tarrant).
“They’ve got to keep him on the park, obviously that’s been a challenge.

“But this slingshot brand of football, the three-man weave they get going quicker than any other team.
“I’ve watched them and listened to them speak, they’re going to play with gears this year, it’s not always going to be flat out.
“They’re going to have different ways of getting you.

“I think Richmond are going to make a statement on Thursday night.”
If, as King predicts, Richmond does beat Carlton on Thursday night, it will continue a run stretching from 2012 of Round 1 wins against the Blues.

Hardwick has confirmed 2021 top-10 pick Josh Gibcus will debut in the clash hoped to attract over 80,000 fans to the MCG.

Reactions: 1 user
ugle-hagan unable to take josh schache's spot, in a side that clearly needs a structural renovation,

isn't a great sign for the No.1 pick.

Not time for any doomsday hyperbole,

but worrying if your a dog, a JUH family member, or just a romantic who wants to see a kid from Framlingham make it in the big smoke,

I reckon

It's an odd feeling when we finish 12th the season before but we're going into the start of this season as one of the favorites. Not sure if any other team has been in that position before.

wait for the team tonight but suggest this could be the largest change (players in and out) from last round of the previous year (draw v Hawks) to Round 1 2022.

I think some are underselling us, we are ready and we won't be taking Carlton lightly. I am banking on us winning and sure there will come a time when Carlton will break this RD 1 hoodoo against us but I don't think it will be in 2022.

12-15 years ago, it was the other way around. the media hyped us up year after year and we fell on our arses. But eventually we won in R1 and eventually Carlton will too. As someone who grew up hating Carlton, I hope doesn't happen any time soon... but honestly, if it’s not this year, it’ll probably be next year.

Reactions: 4 users
we have to win the battle of the Mids and take pressure off the defense , let them work into the season
Carlton will put up a healthy level of competition but we know what we have under the hood

Tigers to win big else Dimma will get cranky

Tarrant Grimes Gibcus
Short Broad Rioli
Baker Dusty Ross
Castagna Balta Bolton
Aarts Llynch Jack

Nankervis Prestia Cotchin

I/C Soldo Edwards Ralphsmith Parker

Sub Stack

Graham plays out Stack to sub.

Last edited:
It's an odd feeling when we finish 12th the season before but we're going into the start of this season as one of the favorites. Not sure if any other team has been in that position before.
When was the last time Essendon finished 12th?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Based on @caesar training report today, this is how I think we line up.

FB: Grimes Tarrant Broad
HB: Short Gibcus Rioli
C: Aarts Martin Ross
HF: Edwards Balta Baker
FF: Bolton Riewoldt Lynch
Foll: Nankervis Prestia Cotchin
Int: Castagna Graham Ralphsmith Soldo
Sub: Pickett
Emerg: Miller, Sonsie, Mansell, Stack

Unavailable - Lambert, Vlastuin, Macintosh

Personally I would opt for Pickett over Aarts on the wing but pre-season indicates that Aarts is ahead in the selection queue.
if Graham plays i reckon you have nailed it. maybe PIckett over Aarts. with KMac out we may want 1 "true wing".
the back 6 pick themselves.
The front 6 pick themselves.
the 4 centre square players pick themselves.
Soldo and Castagna are locks for the 22.
We need a 7th defender- Ralphsmith.
that leaves the 2 wings and a bench spot.
I reckon Ross is a certainty, Graham if fit plays,
leaving Pickett v Aarts.
Assuming Aarts plays, sub will be PIckett or Dow, or maybe RCD.
If Pickett plays Aarts will be sub.

VFL Index = 2,

Silvagni playing capitalises win, expressed by

VFLi(2) + Silvagni = Win

Status
Not open for further replies.