Rucking Hell | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rucking Hell

I think a few are forgetting we drafted the best Junior ruck in the country last year, if Nank goes down yes his going to be hard to replace, however not many clubs have 2 A grade Rucks let alone one. IMHO the list management is extremely good

tigerlove said:
Who could we have picked up in the draft of ruck size who is ready and would be any better than Soldo out of interest?

We could have picked the Dog who was delisted cheap on a years contract as a proven safety net. I know he is injury prone but if fit has the experience to have a go and has more upside that Soldo.

Darcy Fort and Kieren Strachan were state league rucks picked up yesterday.

Interesting to see how they go.

Clearly the club thinks Soldo is adequate back-up for 12 more months at least. Soldo had a horrid VFL finals series, but I don't think he was too bad earlier in the year.

CCJ is a young ruck who needs game time as well.

If we have two guys already at VFL level, how would we have been able to draft and develop another Ruck? If we'd taken a state league ruck and played him over Soldo,
then basically Soldo's spot is wasted as we're saying he's not good enough ever.

If we play both of those guys ahead of CCJ, then a) he's unlikely to develop behind those two b) He will likely to want to go back to Adelaide for more opportunities.

We only have one reserves side at the next level down and limited opportunities. I'm gonna back the professionals at the club who've weighed up the pros and cons of another ruck or not.

The_General said:
Clearly the club thinks Soldo is adequate back-up for 12 more months at least. Soldo had a horrid VFL finals series, but I don't think he was too bad earlier in the year.

CCJ is a young ruck who needs game time as well.

If we have two guys already at VFL level, how would we have been able to draft and develop another Ruck? If we'd taken a state league ruck and played him over Soldo,
then basically Soldo's spot is wasted as we're saying he's not good enough ever.

If we play both of those guys ahead of CCJ, then a) he's unlikely to develop behind those two b) He will likely to want to go back to Adelaide for more opportunities.

We only have one reserves side at the next level down and limited opportunities. I'm gonna back the professionals at the club who've weighed up the pros and cons of another ruck or not.
An Mark Lee should know . Well said mate

It’s worth remembering our 1st ruck is very young.

If anyone is happy to be Toby’s backup, they either have limited ambition or limited ability. If it’s the latter, just stick with Soldo.

123kid said:
It’s worth remembering our 1st ruck is very young.

If anyone is happy to be Toby’s backup, they either have limited ambition or limited ability. If it’s the latter, just stick with Soldo.
Good points.

I would have liked to have added Preuss to the list if we had to get a back up who was happy to be a back up, still surprised he was happy to go be back up to the best Ruck in the comp.

Tigers of Old said:
In the latest Talking Tigers podcast Blair Hartley was asked about the ruck situation & whether Lynch would pinch hit in the ruck..
He avoided the question but said it had been discussed & they were aware of the situation but they were keeping their cards close to their chest.
Sounds like there's a plan in play. Have to see what unfolds.
Seems like it was cunning plan in the Baldrick mould

UKTiger said:
We could have picked the Dog who was delisted cheap on a years contract as a proven safety net. I know he is injury prone but if fit has the experience to have a go and has more upside that Soldo.

Tom Campbell? 27yo in the system for 6 years. Not sure what his upside would be. Would rather Soldo personally.

tigerlove said:
Tom Campbell? 27yo in the system for 6 years. Not sure what his upside would be. Would rather Soldo personally.

My point was that Campbell has real experience at the top level for a while whereas Soldo has only had a sniff and in no game did he really excel. That said I will be very happy to see Soldo prove me and others wrong and be a top ruck

UKTiger said:
My point was that Campbell has real experience at the top level for a while whereas Soldo has only had a sniff and in no game did he really excel. That said I will be very happy to see Soldo prove me and others wrong and be a top ruck

im not sure getting a injury prone back-up is worth the risk. chances are he would not be fit if/when he was needed anyway.

UKTiger said:

Soldo was pretty good against an experienced Witts, broke even I thought

Touchwood that Nankervis doesn’t get injured, however if he plays all 25 games , picking up another ruck would have been a waste of a pick 8-

People need to have faith in CCJ.

Kid can play. He will be first ruck in the reserves.

The Big Richo said:
And the major issue with Nankervis is the accumulation of playing load is inevitably going to take its toll.

For a ruckman to carry the load he does and go essentially uninjured for 2 seasons is remarkable, 3 would be even more so.
We played the great Ivan Maric into the ground with the same process so we haven't yet learned.

not much on the ruck tree if we wanted to draft one...
zac clarke (WAFL team of the year) off to bombers
keegan brooksby (SANFL team of the year) off to coasters
campbell ex doggies likely to north

Leaves only old dinosaurs like Messe at willy and baulderstone in the sanfl.
Maybe we look at Andy Goodwin's son Tom - 201cm 112kg 26 yo - signed to play with Port melbourne but had been Coburgs captain