Rugby Union | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rugby Union

QueenC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 16, 2004
Sydney
Re: Super 12s

Totally agree with you Ready. He should be put out for a very long time. And I have to say, I don't have a hell of a lot of sympathy.

Apparently the SANZA judiciary panel has the authority to hand down a maximum six-month ban for his racial abuse. And since there is no doubt of his guilt (unless you are talking to Cats officials) he should serve a good stretch under the IRB penalties for race, creed, colour or religious vilification.

On the (only) plus side out of this whole mess was the form of Alex Kanaar, who played really well and is more than useful as he can play in the back row as well as the tight five, plus he is only twenty-two years old. Young for a forward. So this is great for the future of New South Wales (and hopefully Australian) rugby, as Harrison was leaving anyway. I have to say we really didn't miss him tonight.
Your right TC, the lineouts were extremely good tonight, the Tah's won at least five or six against the throw.

As for the Blues, they were just embarrassing. The Crusaders were up 34 - 0 at half time and then 41 - 0 early in the second half. This, I guess, is when the bench gets a run, on mass and they start to wind down a little and allow a couple of tries. But still an embarrassing scoreline for a team with so many All Blacks in their line up.

Apparently there are 27 past or present All Blacks on the field when these two sides play eachother. That can be pretty intimidating, we'll have to be ready for the Crusaders in a couple of weeks  ;) ;D !!!

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121

Harrison should be banned for long enough so that his lucrative contract in Ireland is in jeopardy. That would send the right message.

QueenC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 16, 2004
Sydney

He would miss Australian selection and in my opinion missing Wallaby selection for a ban would and should be very hard.

A six month ban would put him out until September and I am not sure if that would effect the Ulster contract. I don't think so as they probably don't start until November. So just the rest of the domestic provincial and Test matches which finish early September and which he would still be available for, before abandoning the Wallabies for (much) greener pastures.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121

Would he be picked for Australia anyway if he was going to Ireland?

I realise a six month ban is long in itself and that he'll always have a stain on his character affecting things like his chance to be a pundit on telly, but reckon this is a chance to send the message once and for all.

Too many of these incidents result in admissions and then defences of how they're "not that kind of person". In the case of Ron Atkinson in the UK it seems maybe he is that kind of person after all. Enough is enough!

To borrow your line, just my opinion

QueenC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 16, 2004
Sydney

I do agree with your opinion there Ready. Prior to all this he would have been available for Wallaby selection this year anyway, even with the move to Ireland, whether he was selected depended on form, but he is one of the incumbent second-rowers (locks). That being said, if he gets suspended for less time and is still available then my thoughts would be that he probably would not be selected. He would not have played a full or close to full Super 12 season and that is always the biggest test for Wallaby selection.

He has messed with the ARU over his contract and has been less than gracious in the media, blaming the dispute and his leaving on the Union, when it was his choice to go. And with a fit Nathan Sharpe (QLD) or Radike Samo (ACT), he would probably be on the outer anyway. Other than that I have absolutely no idea, but his attitude definately has no place in Australian football anywhere and I have to say that I was embarrassed that it came from one of my beloved Waratahs  :-[ :'( !!!

And this certainly isn't the first time his mouth has got him into trouble both on and off the football field. He has at times been a walking headline for both onfield excellence and head-turning mouthing off as well as involvement in the occasional off-field incident. A few years ago he was arrested while drunk and charged with disorderly behaviour while on tour of NZ for the Brumbies, I think he was fined. And he has been cited in a number of onfield brawls over the years. And he has always been lippy off the field.

All of this being said, the SANZA judiciary is so unpredictable that they make the AFL tribunal from last year look completely sane. They suspended a guy from the Hurricanes last week for seven days, but that penalty did not include missing an actual match  :don't know !!!
But this racial vilification offence is actually the first of its kind for the union and because of that they have to set a precedent and I think that it will have to be fairly harsh.
As always, just my opinion  ;D !!!

QueenC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 16, 2004
Sydney

Well done to the Brumbies  :clap !!!

Good solid win in the republic, 34 - 29 over the Cats, including a bonus point!!!

I watched the game and Matt Giteau was simply amazing. He hasn't played in a month after breaking his hand in the pre-season and he scores 24 points including running in two tries, landing four conversions and slotting two penalties.

This leaves the Brumbies and the Waratahs as the only undefeated teams in the competition, seperated by just the one bonus point.
Very exciting indeed  ;D !!!

P.S. Just for the record, the Highlanders whomped the Sharks by 43-7 in Durban

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121

Congratulations to the Taffies for winning the Six Nations, a grand slam no less, their first since 1978. This is a very big deal in Wales in terms of their natural psyche. It will have been a big night in the valleys.

Fantastic to see a side who keep the ball in hand and with little blokes willing to take on, and beat, the steroid-gobbling robotic monsters who have become more and more prevalent since open professionalism.

Good for the game :clap

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121

WALLABIES second-rower Justin Harrison has received a three-game suspension and $20,000 fine (suspended) for racially abusing a black South African player following a landmark judicial case in the Super 12 series.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12608160%255E2722,00.html

SOFT :mad:

QueenC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 16, 2004
Sydney

Ready said:
Congratulations to the Taffies for winning the Six Nations, a grand slam no less, their first since 1978. This is a very big deal in Wales in terms of their natural psyche. It will have been a big night in the valleys.

Fantastic to see a side who keep the ball in hand and with little blokes willing to take on, and beat, the steroid-gobbling robotic monsters who have become more and more prevalent since open professionalism.
Good for the game :clap

I was thrilled about Wales winning the Six Nations and the Grand Slam, they have been working towards this for some time, they had some great matches at the end of last year against South Africa (lost by two points) and then New Zealand the following week (lost by one point) and it is good for rugby that there is finally another powerful nation in the Northern Hemisphere. I did have my money on Ireland though, because I thought they were playing really well too. And I am irrationally excited about the slump in English form and it will be interesting to see how many English players make their way onto the Lions tour of NZ later this year.

Ready said:
WALLABIES second-rower Justin Harrison has received a three-game suspension and $20,000 fine (suspended) for racially abusing a black South African player following a landmark judicial case in the Super 12 series.

SOFT :mad:

As for Justin Harrison, I agree with you Ready I think that the penalty was soft even though he is part of my team. But lets be honest they (two Australians on the panel seems odd) were never going to impose the maximum or even close, so I guess it was finding a penalty that all parties seemed satisfied with. It still seemed to be a little leniant, especially since the $20 000 fine was suspended. That should have to be paid in full as well as the anti-discrimination course and community service.
Just my opinion ;D !!!

But I think this was my favourite line out of that peice:-

"Harrison is leaving Australia at the end of the year to finish his career with Ulster.

While he is still available to play for the Wallabies this year, it is understood the affair has effectively ended his 34-Test career. "

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12608160%255E2722,00.html

QueenC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 16, 2004
Sydney

It seems Waratahs have all gone a little crazy, now Cameron Shephard has been suspended for a match and fined $5000 for "bringing the game into disrepute" after he was charged with malicious damage by police after damaging the panels and roof of a car in Pyrmont. He will face court in a month or so.

I really like the way this kid plays the game and I have to say that I am more than a little disappointed about this situation.
Hopefully he will learn from this and go on to become a great player and manage to keep his nose clean from now on.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12630538-39018,00.html

QueenC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 16, 2004
Sydney

Fantastic win by the Waratahs last night 42 - 12 over the Bulls, with another bonus point  :clap !!!

This makes it five wins from five starts with four bonus points as well. It could just be the best start to a season we have ever had, hopefully the 'Tahs can keep this up, because it seems seven wins should be enough to make it into the final four. Although next week we are playing the Crusaders and that will be our toughest test, given they have made it to fifty points in their last two games.

Bad luck to the Brumbies who went down to the Sharks in Durban 36 - 24  :p !!!

The Brumbies have never won in Durban in the entire history of the Super 12 and unfortunately for them, nothing seems to have changed despite the fact the Sharks were last on the ladder.

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

Great work Tahs, are they in NZ or NSW next week? They should give the Crusaders a good run, hope it doesn't

conflict with the Tigers playing. That's a game I would really like to see.

Wasn't surprised about the Brumbies, they weren't overly convincing at home.

QueenC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 16, 2004
Sydney

TC said:
Great work Tahs, are they in NZ or NSW next week? They should give the Crusaders a good run, hope it doesn't

conflict with the Tigers playing. That's a game I would really like to see.

Waratahs have another home game next week before heading to NZ for a week and then the game against the Brumbies that should be pretty good  ;) ;D !!!

QueenC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 16, 2004
Sydney

All kinds of preliminary ins and outs for the Aussie teams this week.

Mat Rogers will (unfortunately) not play for the Waratahs against the Crusaders on Saturday night, because of an ongoing groin injury which has kept him out for three weeks so far. Hopefully he will be back next week. Lachlan Macay could be back, but Cameron Shephard will return after serving his one match ban for being an idiot.

Stephen Larkham will miss his third week for the Brumbies after cancer surgery, but Stirling Mortlock has been named in the squad to play the Blues in Auckland on Saturday. They have almost got their full back line back from injury which is kind of scary for other teams, especially since the Tahs play them in couple of weeks.

Elton Flately will definately not be playing for Queensland against the Highlanders at Ballymore becuase of a head knock he got a couple of weeks ago. Nathan Sharpe will captain the side and John Roe will return to the forwards which is a really good thing. Flatley will probably miss the Reds games in South Africa as well.

Interesting side note is that Ben Tune is almost certain to be the first big name player to sign with the new Perth franchise. I honestly hope that he finds the form he had a couple of seasons ago. He was so good to watch. Perth are also looking at Nathan Sharpe, Brendan Cannon and Matt Henjack.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12684857-23217,00.html

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

Poor old Reds, blown away again, but did you see Latham's try? One of the most determined things I've ever seen.

Hopefully I can get to see the Tahs and Brumbies in action this week.

Are you going to see NSW this week Queen C, gonna be a great battle

QueenC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 16, 2004
Sydney

Yep, I am going to see the Tahs this week TC, but honestly I am a little apprehensive about the match.

The Crusaders were my pre-season pick to win the whole thing and on their form so far, nothing has changed.
Now my beloved Waratahs have, so far exceeded expectations, but this week will be a real acid test for them.
They are playing the best, and will hopefully beat the best  ::) !!!

As for the Reds, after the two tries right before half time, I thought that they were going to run away with it, given they had all the momentum, but the second half was appalling. They would have done a little better if they had actually held onto the ball, but I thought that the Highlanders played smart rugby, maintaining possession and territory advantages over poor old Queensland.

And Lathams try was one of the best I have ever seen, and will probably be the best of the year. Amazing determination, especially since he was dazed after a head high tackle not five minutes earlier. Fantastic stuff :clapping !!!

QueenC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 16, 2004
Sydney

Tune, I think will go to Perth, because he is just not getting a game in the Reds lineup and he is 29 years old now and will get an immediate start over there (assuming he doesn't injure himself again!!)

As for the others that have been mentioned such as Nathan Sharpe or Matt Henjack, I am not sure but I think all three teams will definately lose a certain number of players to the new franchise.

I am more concerned about losing Brendan Cannon, Al Baxter, Lachlan Mackay, Cameron Shepherd, Peter Hewat and Rocky Elsom (who have all been approached) out of my Waratah side  :-\ !!!

Ghost Who Walks

Who Are You
Sep 25, 2004
Canberra

QueenC said:
Tune I think will go to Perth, because he is just not getting a game in the Reds lineup and he is 29 years old now and will get an immediate start over there.

As for the others that have been mentioned such as Nathan Sharpe or Matt Henjack, I am not sure but I think all three teams will definately lose certain players to the new franchise.

I am more concerned about losing Brendan Cannon, Al Baxter, Lachlan Mackay, Cameron Shepherd, Peter Hewat and Rocky Elsom out of my Waratah side :-\ !!!

The only way to stop that is to win the super 12 and have those players play a major part.

QueenC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 16, 2004
Sydney

I think probably one or two of them will go, I just don't want them to  ;) ;D !!!

As for winning the Super 12..... God I hope so!!!