Rugby Union | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rugby Union

Re: Super 12s

I just hope the Waratahs are over their mid-season glitch, because you are always waiting for the bottom to fall out of the season being a Tah supporter, as it has done so often in the past  :p !!!

But tonight was pretty good....sorry about the Storm though, fellas!!!

Gee you'd think taking Rugby so serious they wouls win once in a while

http://www.rugby365.com/LATEST_NEWS/story_43016.shtml

TC said:
51-23 Scary Crusaders :eek:

They are still my tip for the whole thing, unfortunately. The Crusdaers are just about superior everywhere on the field. I love the way they play (just not against the Tahs!!) and when they get going they are so hard to stop. I am watching it now and they simply steam rolled the poor Stormers in the second half.

Andrew Merhtens kicked past Matt Burkes' Super 12 point scoring record as well  :p !!!

NSW has lost another player to the Force  :mad: :'( !!!

I am desperately sad to lose Lachlan MacKay to the Perth franchise. I believed he was the solution to our fly-half problems. I  am disappointed in him for leaving, when he would have always been in the run on side as first choice five eighth (great spot to be for Wallaby selection) and at NSW Rugby for not signing him up sooner, it was obvious he was going to be targeted by the Force.

Now they better pull their fingures out and sign up some of our other younger players like Cameron Shephard and maybe even sign up Clyde Rathbone who has been in talks with the NSWRU. He would be a pretty good replacement in the side, just not for that position. Now they are also looking at Braith Anasta from the Canterbury Bulldogs NRL side to fill the role  :don't know !!!

Its all a bit confusing really!!!

Very confusing Ms Chase

Can you compile a quick list of Perth team, if you have time?

Be interesting to know how the bigger comp will affect current teams

TC said:
Very confusing Ms Chase

Can you compile a quick list of Perth team, if you have time?

Be interesting to know how the bigger comp will affect current teams

Perth have definately signed Brendan Cannon (NSW), Nathan Sharpe (QLD - and guaranteed captaincy), Lachlan MacKay (NSW - probably vice captain), Junior Pelesasa (QLD), James Hilgendorf (Taranaki), Luke Doherty (QLD), Richard Brown (QLD), Rudi Vedelago (QLD), David Pusey (Munster / former ACT) and Tai McIsaac (QLD)

They have had contract discussions with Ben Tune (QLD), Matt Henjack (ACT), Clyde Rathbone (ACT), Tim Davidson (NSW), Christian Warner (NSW), Cameron Shephard (NSW), Hugh McMeniman (QLD),  Peter Hynes (QLD), Anthony Mathison (QLD), Daniel Heenan (QLD),  Steve Kefu (QLD), Rocky Elsom (NSW), Stephen Hoiles (NSW),  Alex Kanaar (NSW)  and as I understand it, Matt Bowen from the North Queensland Cowboys NRL side.

So far NSW and QLD have been the hardest hit, but I think that the ACT will lose a couple pretty soon as well. I think that Henjack will sign with the Force pretty soon (he is over there now) as he will never be the first choice scrum half at the Brumbies because of George Gregan (who is signed through to the 2007 World Cup), so the move is logical for him and better for Australian rugby, because he is touted as the next Wallaby No. 9.

There is also a bit of poaching going on between the three existing sides with NSW making a run at Clyde Rathbone and ACT at Cameron Shephard. And poor old QLD trying to find anyone who would be happy pulling on a Reds jumper. This will be going on for a while yet as there are still plenty of players out of contract at the end of the season.

NSW are also going to make a play for Braith Anasta, which could be one of the reasons Lachlan MacKay decided to move west, given they would be vying for the same position and the amount money that would have to be spent to get Anasta across from the NRL, MacKay would probably lose out, despite playing really well and being an Under-21 Australian rep. A bit like the Wendell Sailor problem in Queensland. I feel sorry for Queensland though, as if they don't have enough problems on the field without having to worry about losing players off the field.

The whole situation is far from being finished and it remains to be seen if the fourth franchise strengthens Australian rugby or not. I think that it will in the long run because it will give more players a taste at the level they will need to achieve to be successful and therefore more to choose from for Wallaby selectors. But given what is going on at the moment I don't think that anyone is particulary happy, especially since NSW, QLD and ACT are still trying to win the Super 12.

Well the 'Tahs are anyway  ;) ;D !!!

Thanks Queenie

I have 5 kids over for a party right now so I'll have a good look later

Not sure what footy I'm able to watch this weekend, hopefully they will all fall

asleep soon ::)

Rest up TC!!!

I hope the party went well and that you have fully recovered and caught up with some footy.
Not that here was much really worth watching!!!
Five kids huh? I am not sure I would be able to handle that, so my hats off to you, my friend  :clap !!!

He he I used to do whole class parties with 25 or more

This lot were sent to bed around midnight and were still awake at 3.30 am

Finally the Reds fire up !!

They have Tahs and Brumbies soon too

Hope they go back to sleep

The Waratahs have never beaten the Reds in the entire history of Super 12, even though on most occassions we have been the better performed team with better players.....it is definately our monkey  :p !!!

I am hoping, considering that we are on top of the ladder and they really, are not, we may actually be able to break this very unsettling hoodoo. It is not normal for NSW to lose to a Queensland side in anything for such a long period of time, not even the Swans have this kind of trouble!!!

We have the Highlanders in Dunedin first though, which will be a tough match. The Brumbies have the Hurricanes in Wellington, which will also be pretty difficult especially since Steve Larkham did not pass a fitness test on his injured arm. The Reds should actually beat the Cats in Brisbane, they are one fo two teams actually lower than them on the ladder.

I have also added a couple more names to the Perth Forces' shopping list.....

If this is the Tahs year they must beat the Reds

Saying that a good year would be playing off against the All Blacks

Sorry, Crusaders, and giving it a go

I still think given a home final NSW can beat the kiwis

But that is more hope than well reasoned argument

Break the hoodoo Stay on top of the table

I am with you all the way TC, we actually were not out of the contest against the Crusaders a couple of weeks ago, but for some sloppy skill and decision making errors (sound familiar!!!) and from that they benefitted greatly (2 tries).

I hope the Tahs beat the Reds this year, it is being played on my birthday and it would be a fantastic present  ;) ;D !!!

Two drinks for you on your birthday then :beer

Come into the shed or sit by the fire to celebrate

I have missed my RU hit this weekend

Hope they never have more than one bye at a time

Will the 14 team league eliminate byes?, probably not

The S Africans are still fighting in house aren't they?

Looks like Perth are putting together a decent enough side Cordie

Is the WA League strong enough to supply a team with youngsters?

Do you think they will target a few more League players?

Perth is a big destination for South Africans, maybe there are a few in minor leagues

They may also be able to coax a few S African players, not sure on the rules regarding that

but Perth has a climate similar to theirs, weatherwise and socially.

I don't think that there will be many players originating from the Western Australian league TC, which is large, but they probably would not be strong enough just yet, but in the next few years, who knows? Super 12 is a big step up from club rugby, even from NSW and Queensland, where it is strongest.

But you are right, there may end up being a couple of ex-pat South Africans in the Force as well as all the Australian players. I would also not be surprised if a New Zealander or two ended up there, simply because John Mitchell would have had his eye on a few that may not have been able to get a run with any of the provincial sides across the ditch.

I think the byes will stay simply because the players need the break. Watching the ACT v NSW game the other night it was pretty damn obvious that both teams were exhausted and in desperate need of a week off. Eespecially the Brumbies with all their injuries. I think that the last few games had caught up to the 'Tahs as well, they looked very tired. I think people forget how much travelling is done in the competition and every team needs a break for one week in eleven (not counting finals) to re-charge the batteries.

The problem has been with the schedualling of the byes for each team. I mean they were done in three groups, the first within the opening four weeks of the tournament, then the next group right in the middle, then the last group (including the Brumbies and Waratahs) last weekend. Obviously the middle group has the best schedualling of the three. Not a perfect system, but I can't really think of anything better and I think that it will stay roughly the same when we add the extra two teams next year.

That being said both NSW and ACT are off to New Zealand this week for two games that will definately shape the final four. The 'Tahs are home, they will definatly play finals, it just depends from what position, they are still first but would make their lives so much easier and a home final almost guaranteed, if they can beat the Hurricanes in Dunedin on Saturday afternoon. The Brumbies are currently sixth and to have any chance whatsoever of making the semis they must beat the Hurricanes in Wellington on Saturday night. It won't be easy coming off four losses and without Steve Larkham.

Fingers and toes are are permanently crossed  :nailbiting !!!