Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

From that 1st game against Carlscum so many years ago , I thought he wasn't much chop and expressed this back then. 3 or 4 years later (as people were telling me to give him time) I haven't seen any improvement. ZERO possessions that day , 5 possessions today. Another Tyrone and I expressed my dissatisfaction with him to a friend of mine when we saw him playing his 1st game against Dawks at Box Hill. At least he had the capability to mark the ball. Sorry I can't see the light with this lad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have seen him go for marks 2 handed and seems to have no technique and it just bounces off his hands, surely they are coaching him on this.

I did see one time in the goal square when he was held, both arms held down, no free of course. But, it does make me wonder whether he goes up 1 handed because the other arm is being held. He does play for Richmond so we know he won't get a free if this is the case.

I would persist but he really needs to work out the marking. He can hold ground a little better but needs to improve a lot more in that aspect of his game.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
I have seen him go for marks 2 handed and seems to have no technique and it just bounces off his hands, surely they are coaching him on this.

I did see one time in the goal square when he was held, both arms held down, no free of course. But, it does make me wonder whether he goes up 1 handed because the other arm is being held. He does play for Richmond so we know he won't get a free if this is the case.

I would persist but he really needs to work out the marking. He can hold ground a little better but needs to improve a lot more in that aspect of his game.

DS
He’s done David. He just can’t mark a football. We all wish he could, but he can’t. He played the second half like he knew the same thing.

Incredibly sad, but that’s the reality

I would feel more confident if we picked up Tom Campbell in the MSD to ruck for us for the rest of the year. Samson has an Immature body still after four seasons on a list and can’t mark to save himself. Studied his hands and they’re not symmetrically connected when going for marks and eyes are off the ball. I wish coaches could see this and work on it. He has poor balance and I think this throws out his symmetry and I can’t see much hope for him. He has too many shortcomings that have been in his game from day one.
I wouldn’t trust him holding my newborn son.

Reactions: 1 users
Nakas (1) and him (2) combined for 3 marks
Goldstein took 4 and he spent half a qtr off the ground at the age of 36.
Bryan from Essendon must be on our list for 2025