Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Pickett has given Nank a chop out in the ruck on many occassions and has done well. Why not go with him or at least try him.
Pickett's neither a ruck or a key forward, he gets beat up n mangled and is far more value playing his proper roles not trying for some sort of hail Mary efforts. Like it or not, Samsung's actual size and playing roles are as a developing ruck and key forward so play the bugger in the roles he's on the list for n he either does his job n earns his keep or he'll get shuffled off into the wilderness before long. No-one is asking him to replace a Nank or Lynch at the moment, but it's time he stood up n claimed the support role and performed the tasks he's there for. Give Nank a five or seven minute spell in the ruck n fill a hole in the forward line for five to seven minutes per qtr as well, crash a pack or keep a defender honest. Kinda like a second or third year apprentice, capable of doing some tasks unsupervised while assisting under supervision with the major tasks.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly it's still a bit like watching a baby giraffe on rollerskates watching him play.
I ask those who have backed him to succeed to comment whether they think he's improved at all, stagnated or gone backwards?
To me it's the latter.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't see any progress unfortunately. By now we should be seeing something

Honestly it's still a bit like watching a baby giraffe on rollerskates watching him play.
I ask those who have backed him to succeed to comment whether they think he's improved at all, stagnated or gone backwards?
To me it's the latter.
He wasn’t very good on Saturday night. So he’s stagnated.

Reactions: 3 users
I thought his around the ground tap work in 2022 was promising, now he looks all at sea in every aspect of the game, and he only played on Peter Wright.

Too long in the VFL? He appears to have regressed to me.

It's not his physique that is the problem..it is that he has a poor natural marking technique..its incurable.
Look at our reserves...Brindley May McCarthy...all good marks.
Look at other AFL rucks...D Cameron of Pies....fantastic mark. English of Dogs..pretty much every other ruck.
If he can't mark he is no good for us.
Find any marking tall in the midseason draft and we are better off.
100% - might as well play a lamp post if he can’t mark.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not his physique that is the problem..it is that he has a poor natural marking technique..its incurable.
Look at our reserves...Brindley May McCarthy...all good marks.
Look at other AFL rucks...D Cameron of Pies....fantastic mark. English of Dogs..pretty much every other ruck.
If he can't mark he is no good for us.
Find any marking tall in the midseason draft and we are better off.
The only problem with that is that Ryan is as good a mark as any of them in the VFL. I reckon give him a few weeks. It wasn't good but he deserves a few weeks at least - maybe until Lynch is back - to find his feet in the AFL.

The only problem with that is that Ryan is as good a mark as any of them in the VFL. I reckon give him a few weeks. It wasn't good but he deserves a few weeks at least - maybe until Lynch is back - to find his feet in the AFL.

This is what I don't get. If he can mark in the VFL he can do the same in the AFL. He must change his technique when playing in the seniors, because what I saw on Saturday night was lousy technique.

A few weeks in the seniors could help, I can't see a lot of point in playing Samson in the VFL.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
This is what I don't get. If he can mark in the VFL he can do the same in the AFL. He must change his technique when playing in the seniors, because what I saw on Saturday night was lousy technique.

A few weeks in the seniors could help, I can't see a lot of point in playing Samson in the VFL.

DS
It’s just a confidence thing. Kosi has the same issue I reckon.

Forward craft, good kick, was tapping it really nicely but now…… I don’t understand it.
Me either. Might be in his head because he was so promising when he took over ruck duties last year.
He was playing really well as a ruck in the vfl until the Sandringham game when he was comprehensively beaten by Campbell who is a bit of a ruck journeyman.
Then he got picked in the seniors.
Probably my biggest disappointment from Saturday’s game.

Give him a few games to get his bearings and then make judgement. Marking can come down to confidence. Take a good grab or two and things change quickly. Ryan is all we have atm in terms of young decent-sized forward/ruckmen. If he doesn't work out it spells some pain for us down the track so just play him and let's see whether he has it in him.

The lack of confidence was written all over his face. He was out of his depth & I think he knew it.
That said I'd pick him again this week.
Overall our performance improved. It was better for our structure & Nank seemingly benefited from the chop out having another genuine tall.
I also think Samson will learn a lot more at AFL level than he will at VFL level & he deserves a chance to find his feet.
Also we need to see if he can improve at all over a block of games. Otherwise Blair will need to take that into account going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

DS
Hard to change technique (try changing your golf grip - takes ages 😊), but unless he does, he’s done. The mark dropped at the top of the goal square in Q3 after Dusty created magic to find him was inexcusable for an AFL level player.

Hopefully we pick up a Ruck in the MSD tomorrow so he can walk into the team to give Nank a chop out. Unfortunately I'm not seeing anything to hang my hat on with Ryan and like many have ran out of patience.