Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

What frustrates me with Ryan is that he isn’t able to own the space where the ball is going to drop…

When he is in a ruck contest he more often than not is not directly under the ball at the critical moment, I don’t know if it’s a core strength issue or a lack of determination but he invariably finds himself having to rely on his height to reach over the opposition player who has taken the drop zone… he sometimes manages to do it successfully but he’s defying the odds. He’s actually quite deft with his tap work, when he can get his hand to it.

He has a similar issue in pack marking situations where he concedes the drop zones and tries to reach over. He is too easily blocked from marking contests… and ends up at the back of the pack whilst some 5 ft defender takes an uncontested mark 1 metr in front of his contest.

In marking contests I want to see him take that crucial space and at worse, bring the ball to ground.

I reckon this is what he’s been asked to work on in the VFL… but it was still happening last week… so fingers crossed he can turn this around

I also used to be concerned about the amount of time he spent on his arse on the ground after a contest, he would go to ground too often with his efforts… you don’t want 7ft blokes on their knees/arse…. I reckon he’s improved this aspect but once again I think it occurred as a result of not being able to win and keep pole position under the ball… so he was always trying jump over/around opposition rucks/backs and would lose his balance when he did so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I just want to see him compete & show some skills. Get the Emperor’s new clothes off & get your Richmond Football jumper on Samson. Give us something real to hang your hat on.
Are you suggesting when Samson was wearing the Emperors new clothes he had nowhere to hang his hat??
Do you think he needs to get a bit more excited?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
What if Samson Ryan fails to play like Tom J Lynch? He's not gunna do that. The expectations are too high IMO.
Nobody’s expecting him to play like Tom Lynch Jack. If anything the bar keeps dropping. I’d just be happy for him to show some of what he did in the front half of last year at this point.
With list management decisions looming yes there is some pressure on. He’s got to show something.

And 5 touches the week before. And less than glowing coach comments.
MId season draft next week.
With the big Cray out and I'd assume not coming back in 25, we might draft a ruck.

At this stage if and when Nank is injured we only have Samson. Can he hold his own this season?
Or do we need to draft a mature age ready to go ruck?

Playing this week gives the list team more insight.

Reactions: 1 users
Simply cannot catch the ball. I don't understand why this is. Anyone who has played football can catch it.
It's time to find an alternative..someone who can take a mark.. anyone. Mid season draft it is imperative we take any tall who can simply catch the ball...it is NOT difficult.
Will not make it...time to look elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Simply cannot catch the ball. I don't understand why this is. Anyone who has played football can catch it.
It's time to find an alternative..someone who can take a mark.. anyone. Mid season draft it is imperative we take any tall who can simply catch the ball...it is NOT difficult.
Will not make it...time to look elsewhere.
Always goes with one hand

i think he can play. strong at a couple of contest must be played for the rest of the year

One hand rubbish…. Tried to wrestle, that’s not his build or go to

Upper body still weak. Does he fill out in next two years? I dunno. Ryan. Colina. OHB. Does anything become of these guys? Just draft an actual ruck ffs.

Reactions: 3 users
4th year in the system isn’t able to provide a contest and easily loses his ground

Has gone backwards at a fair rate. Not sure what's happened to him. Has zero confidence at the moment, can't crash packs, can't bring the ball to ground. No mongrel. Not a good sign for a ruck these days, or a key forward

Reactions: 5 users
Too weak in the wrestle and goes up with one hand too often.