Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

I have seen him go for marks 2 handed and seems to have no technique and it just bounces off his hands, surely they are coaching him on this.

I did see one time in the goal square when he was held, both arms held down, no free of course. But, it does make me wonder whether he goes up 1 handed because the other arm is being held. He does play for Richmond so we know he won't get a free if this is the case.

I would persist but he really needs to work out the marking. He can hold ground a little better but needs to improve a lot more in that aspect of his game.

DS
Ryan's high marking technique(if you can call it that) is generally holding both hands barrier like to the incoming ball rather than side by side.Either he is thinking about first stopping the flight of the ball and then padding down in front of him.All in all for his height he should be clunking marks regularly.Only thing in his favour is the theory that tall players mature around age 27-28.

Reactions: 1 users
That was about what I expected.
Give him a couple more games to see if he can find his feet so to speak. I’m pretty concerned at his lack of progress though on last night’s performance.

Reactions: 3 users
He’s kinda Tim English lite… I can’t think of any other skinny rucks for a secondary product reference like “I can’t believe he’s not X”… oh well, I tried

and grow your hair longer
It’s funny you should say that. I remember watching a vfl game during one of our covid lockdowns a few years back. It might have been against Sandringham. He stood out. Long hair, very aggressive to the ball, taking heaps of marks. I remember saying he will have to be careful, with no crowd you could quite clearly hear every word that was being said on the field, he was cursing, abusing his opponents, swearing every time he gave away a free kick or did a clanger. I thought he was going to be a superstar forward/ ruck. He might still be, but he needs to pull his finger out. Or he might just be an adequate vfl footballer. He has been given his chance now with our huge injury list, don’t waste it

Doesn’t compete anywhere near hard enough. Weak one handed attempts under the ball.
I don't think it is a lack of effort, he simply doesn't have the body strength yet. He cannot maintain position in a contest, just put off balance way too easily. He never gave up and looked absolutely stuffed. Just needs to develop that core strength.

Gawn is the template.

I don't think it is a lack of effort, he simply doesn't have the body strength yet. He cannot maintain position in a contest, just put off balance way too easily. He never gave up and looked absolutely stuffed. Just needs to develop that core strength.

Gawn is the template.
No way. Disagree. He totally decided to turn his body and go one handed. No genuine effort at all. It was right in front of me at the game. Some other people around me voiced their displeasure too.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
No way. Disagree. He totally decided to turn his body and go one handed. No genuine effort at all. It was right in front of me at the game. Some other people around me voiced their displeasure too.
Were you in the AFL stand - there were some contests in the 2nd half he was not great in but not sure it was through lack of effort. Reckon he was stuffed. I don't think he is soft or doesn't try.

Unsure if he is better off learning the hard way in the AFL or developing in the VFL.

Still need someone to give Nank a chop out in the ruck and also with Balta going back where he belongs, poor old liftmykiltup desperately needs some sort of big bodied support up forward. So that he gets to play on one big defender at a time instead of two.
Samsung's in the side, perhaps purely for a bit of structural assistance, so just run him a block of games n see if he can grab a few moments of involvement. Oh and it might not hurt if Bolton gets the *smile* out of the big blokes way n plays small crumber instead of spectacular interferer.

Still need someone to give Nank a chop out in the ruck and also with Balta going back where he belongs, poor old liftmykiltup desperately needs some sort of big bodied support up forward. So that he gets to play on one big defender at a time instead of two.
Samsung's in the side, perhaps purely for a bit of structural assistance, so just run him a block of games n see if he can grab a few moments of involvement. Oh and it might not hurt if Bolton gets the *smile* out of the big blokes way n plays small crumber instead of spectacular interferer.
Pickett has given Nank a chop out in the ruck on many occassions and has done well. Why not go with him or at least try him.

Wasn’t just once. Be wary of big blokes that avoid contact. Even Gus Graham had a go.

But never fear, the smarter than average punters crew still see greatness. We are all wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Ryan's high marking technique(if you can call it that) is generally holding both hands barrier like to the incoming ball rather than side by side.Either he is thinking about first stopping the flight of the ball and then padding down in front of him.All in all for his height he should be clunking marks regularly.Only thing in his favour is the theory that tall players mature around age 27-28.

I have noticed his hands seem to point forward, surely they can coach marking technique? Apparently he can mark in the VFL so must be a problem between the ears.

He has to fix this if he wants to be an AFL player.

DS

Pickett has given Nank a chop out in the ruck on many occassions and has done well. Why not go with him or at least try him.
Because Pickett is virtually finished. We need to get games into and develop the next generation. We are very short on talls as well.

Wasn’t just once. Be wary of big blokes that avoid contact. Even Gus Graham had a go.

But never fear, the smarter than average punters crew still see greatness. We are all wrong.
Greatness a bit of a stretch. He is physically not ready. And unlikely to be for 12-24 months. His extreme height will see him (justifiably) given time.

He can only possibly make it as a ruckman not a forward. I'm not selling yet.

Another 3 - 4 years. And it still may not work out.

Reactions: 1 user
Only thing in his favour is the theory that tall players mature around age 27-28.
I feel like at the start of the year the theory was 24 years, then when it became clear he wasn't gonna hit it this year, it magically became 27...

Reactions: 4 users
Just put him on a gym only regime for the rest of the season no training just games and weights he needs 20 kilos before he will ever compete

It's not his physique that is the problem..it is that he has a poor natural marking technique..its incurable.
Look at our reserves...Brindley May McCarthy...all good marks.
Look at other AFL rucks...D Cameron of Pies....fantastic mark. English of Dogs..pretty much every other ruck.
If he can't mark he is no good for us.
Find any marking tall in the midseason draft and we are better off.