Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Leysy's buying stock of his fella Big Time!

Reckon he has bags of talent. Still only 20 (nearly 21). Had an extremely good first year at VFL level for his experience and type. A key reason we were seemingly OK to let CCJ depart.

Also think he might bring a lot more to the table than just a ruck. Real chance to make an impact up forward. For his size is pretty brisk (3.08 20m), athetic, reads the ball well and can one grab them.

A real sleeper on our list that might really help our list mgmnt in the future.

Big watch.

Reactions: 26 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Reckon he has bags of talent. Still only 20 (nearly 21). Had an extremely good first year at VFL level for his experience and type. A key reason we were seemingly OK to let CCJ depart.

Also think he might bring a lot more to the table than just a ruck. Real chance to make an impact up forward. For his size is pretty brisk (3.08 20m), athetic, reads the ball well and can one grab them.

Big watch.

Certainly has potential but I was thinking more 2023 than next year. Hopefully he can add a bit of weight but not lose too much speed. He could be a lead up forward and with his height would be hard to defend.

Here's hoping.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Big watch.

Samson showing good skills early in the pre-season great hands both above and below the knees and dishing off with those hands, a great kick for a big man.
A bit of strength and endurance to work on.

Below was a grab from Rookie Me Central:

Something which may restrict that style of play around the ground is his endurance. He ran 2km in 7:23 at the draft combine, a below average result, though not disastrous for a player of his size. Should he improve in this category, Ryan would be able to impact more contests both aerially and at ground level, turning spurts of form into more consistent runs.

Was played out of the square for the main part in VFL this year which he performed well at but didn't aid in his aerobic capacity

Will get a game or two at some point next year, still searching for his first possession in AFL footy ;) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
The big man progress seems to have been kept quiet for a while now and to be honest l had forgotten about him so reading the comments of those who have watched him cheers me up.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Big watch.
Bugger. I had real hope for Ryan.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Bugger. I had real hope for Ryan.

f u middle finger GIF by Midland

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 12 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Samson showing good skills early in the pre-season great hands both above and below the knees and dishing off with those hands, a great kick for a big man.
A bit of strength and endurance to work on.

Below was a grab from Rookie Me Central:

Something which may restrict that style of play around the ground is his endurance. He ran 2km in 7:23 at the draft combine, a below average result, though not disastrous for a player of his size. Should he improve in this category, Ryan would be able to impact more contests both aerially and at ground level, turning spurts of form into more consistent runs.

Was played out of the square for the main part in VFL this year which he performed well at but didn't aid in his aerobic capacity

Will get a game or two at some point next year, still searching for his first possession in AFL footy ;) :)

Yeah be interesting how his aerobic capacity comes on this pre-season. Not surprising given his background and size he's starting from a long way back. That can come though - Remember Soldo when he started.

Reckon 6 to 8 AFL games with glimpses along with being dominant at VFL level would be good progression next year. Then 2023 onwards look out!

Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Big watch.
I'm on the Samson train with you Daisy. Shows plenty..

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Ah crap. I was aboard the Samson Shuttle but the last time LD agreed on a player he won a Grand Final sprint and then failed to deliver much more.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Ah crap. I was aboard the Samson Shuttle but the last time LD agreed on a player he won a Grand Final sprint and then failed to deliver much more.
Doesn't sound like Samson is going to be winning a GF Sprint. Could be the right recipe, can't sprint - can deliver?

sportshow

Tiger Rookie
Apr 14, 2009
On limited exposed form in the magoo's last year he was ahead of CCJ IMO.

The one game was a throw at the stumps that could still yield dividends down the track.

Have no doubt our confidence in him is why we didn't chase the CCJ contract from Norf.

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Every time I see Ryan play I fantasise about what we could get for CJ.
Nice work mate. Were you thinking that just 3 days later when he made his snr debut & didn't get a single touch? :LOL:
;)

Just joking, we've all loved what he's done in the VFL & he has some really exciting traits. Fingers crossed he can make the transition up as we really need him to.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Nice work mate. Were you thinking that just 3 days later when he made his snr debut & didn't get a single touch? :LOL:
;)

Just joking, we've all loved what he's done in the VFL & he has some really exciting traits. Fingers crossed he can make the transition up as we really need him to.
Didn't he cop a heavy corkie early in that game? Regardless, dumb to debut him in those conditions. I don't think anyone got a touch that night, did they? Easily the worst night at the footy since 2016 for me.

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Didn't he cop a heavy corkie early in that game? Regardless, dumb to debut him in those conditions. I don't think anyone got a touch that night, did they? Easily the worst night at the footy since 2016 for me.
Think he recruited his vagal response to the perceived stress.
Lowered his heart rate and closed his organs down.
Animals do it to play dead when they’re under attack. :LOL:

• Haha

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Reckon 6 to 8 AFL games with glimpses along with being dominant at VFL level would be good progression next year. Then 2023 onwards look out!
We don't want to pump his tyres too much right now as he is still green although with shedloads of potential. Providing Nanks and Soldo stay fit and terrorise the opposition, I will be happy for Samson to learn his trade in the VFL next season