Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
SR has shown enough to become something special...have great expectations!

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Young fella showed plenty in his first year at VFL level, so there's plenty of scope for growth n improvement. It's not like we're throwing him $500k a year n hoping something happens. Simply a matter of retaining a young bloke with potential to give him time to grow.

Reactions: 3 users

TheUmpire

Tiger Rookie
Sep 30, 2003
Comparing him at the same stage to CCJ is interesting. CCJ was (and is) a better mark than Samson but I reckon Samson has him for agility and ability at ground level. He is a better kick than CCJ as well.
I agree CCJ was a better mark - but whether he is now is open for debate.

IMO SR reads the ball better in the air than CCJ, but CCJ had him for strength. Hence the focus of SR's preseason on building his strength.

This extension most probably confirms that SR has met most of his strength related improvement KPIs.

I'm most excited with what he can bring this year.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Got to say, I'm still not sold. But big blokes deserve more time. Fair extension.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
This extension most probably confirms that SR has met most of his strength related improvement KPIs.

I'm most excited with what he can bring this year.
Or it confirms that we lost CCJ and Chol and decided we couldn’t afford to lose a third tall player for nothing.

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
By virtue of losing CCJ and Chol, I think this young man has become hot property.

Probably got a nice boost to his wage and the club will have been very keen to lock him up in case he has a good year that would really, really boost his wage.
Not too sure about getting a big boost to his salary , Has done nothing yet
He would have gotten a slight increase but his new contract would be standard increase like $50k a year plus match payments at this stage.

I like what he brings but still needs a lot of development and 2 year deal is about perfect
SR is 21 years old and i see him as a future Lynch replacement in 3-4 years time

• Love

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Have you watched any of his footy?, (and I don't mean his debut AFL game), It is obvious why we would want to show faith and lock him in IMO.
LOL , ive seen bits of two games and what I saw wasn't impressive
the first game was the VFL game at Willy I caught the second half and the commentators were already giving him a wrap
I settled in for a good watch , he got caught behind a bit and didn't punch , just tried to mark
his opponent i think had spent 2-3 yrs on an AFL list and had been cut he was a similar height a little more phyiscally mature than SR
and played good footy , his time in the system had showed

The next time was a game at Frankston , towards the end of the first qtr ? he had 4 clangers in real quick succession , oh dear , my heart sank
I didn't tune back in till the last qtr and first thing I see is another clanger but the commentators were singing his praises and X Clarke gave him a real wrap in his post match

I trust all the reports from training and games over my small sample I've seen of him

Go Sampson

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
the first game was the VFL game at Willy I caught the second half and the commentators were already giving him a wrap
I settled in for a good watch , he got caught behind a bit and didn't punch , just tried to mark
his opponent i think had spent 2-3 yrs on an AFL list and had been cut he was a similar height a little more phyiscally mature than SR

The next time was a game at Frankston , towards the end of the first qtr ? he had 4 clangers in real quick succession , oh dear , my heart sank
I didn't tune back in till the last qtr and first thing I see is another clanger but the commentators were singing his praises and X Clarke gave him a real wrap in his post match

I trust all the reports from training and games over my small sample I've seen of him

Go Sampson
Small sample indeed.

For anyone else wondering, Sampson averaged 10.9 disposal, 4.5 marks, 13.4 hitouts and a lazy 1.9 goals from 8 VFL games in 2021.

But that’s not all. He kicked 3 goals on two occasions and 4 goals on another occasion. In his last three matches he also had 30, 33 and 20 hitouts. All this from a 20yo in his first year in the system.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Happy for the young lad, particularly after the coaches threw him to the wolves in a tsunami.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
IIRC he was holding down the ruck on his own, as a first year player, very little rest but still had some good involvements including when he was swung forward.

Very small sample your "bits" of just 2 games.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
When read his signing thought we would have done an Alastair Lynch 10 year deal. Not to be. :rolleyes:

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
A lot of people were pretty hard on him after his debut but for a number of reasons I’m backing him to be a pretty solid player for us eventually.
Reckon he can be better than that. Has some real tools to be a very good AFL player.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I guess it depends on what you consider a big boost. As a second round draftee he was on about 100k, my bet is his base will now be in the 200-300k range, depending on how it is structured with matchies and bonuses.

Doubling your money isn't bad!
No chance he would be anywhere near the $300k unless he plays all games

At a guess i would say he would be getting roughly $130k-$150k base up 40% from his initial $95k salary and most likely $3000-$5000 a game with a limit of $100k-$120k max

He is a pick #40 with no games and little development and a 2 year project

Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Have to agree to disagree there Turk. I'd be very surprised if a player went for the sort of deal you are describing at this point of his contract and this time of year.
He is a pick #40 that didnt even expect to get drafted at the time
Has had very little game time VFL/AFL
played 1 game that was effected by injury and he would rather forget

Dont think he really has much choice but to accept what ever deal is put infront of him and limited options
getting paid to train effectively at the moment

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
He had a pretty significant choice because he still has 12 months to run on his contract. On his level of salary there's no motivation to extend for a minimal wage increase because the injury protections available would cover him anyway.

The only way he would have signed now rather than see what unfolded this year was if something attractive enough was put to him.
Or, to buy a house he needs a guaranteed income for 3 years so is planning ahead taking a nominal payrise but guaranteed income and giving the bank justification to provide him a loan.

People are wired differently, have different drivers and many things can influence what they want for the next 1, 2 or 3 years. This may just be a mutually beneficial agreement between Samson and the Club.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
We might have budgeted salary for CJ in 2022 and on. We might have dedicated that bit of TPP for Mabior.

We made the choice in 2021 to fund Samson Ryan. We chose Samson Ryan. Now we can see how that works out.

• Love