Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

I am a Ryan fan, but I doubt he comes in this week. I think Miller will ruck and play back again, and we wont want to add another tall to our forwardline of Lynch, Jack, Dusty. at least at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Um, I think Miller gives us more in the ruck so a ruck/forward situation I give the nod to Miller. You could argue Sampson might give more up forward but I think the gap between the two in the ruck absorbs that. Plus, Miller can be thrown around like we saw on Thursday.

However, if we were to see Miller a permanent back for some reason, then I don’t see why we wouldn’t give him a go. Or, if against a team we saw it fit to play 3 talls, then again, yeah I’d give him a go.
How can you say Miller would do better in the ruck than Ryan ? What do you base that on ?

Reactions: 1 user
It’s good to have options, flexibility. Figure we’ll be moving guys in and out a bit throughout the year as match ups warrant.

Not expecting many this week however. Just Clarkie as sub v Ross.

Then again, Hooch can surprise at the selection table.
Yeah, I think that'll be the only change this week. Mansell will probably get another go.
I hope Ryan makes it but the pessimist in me gives me feeling he could be a McBean Mark 2, plenty of promise but not enough for the big stage.
Rest easy, UK. He plays nothing like McJesus. McJesus was the world's tallest small forward, whereas Samson is a genuine tall.

Reactions: 4 users
I hope Ryan makes it but the pessimist in me gives me feeling he could be a McBean Mark 2, plenty of promise but not enough for the big stage.
He has alot more aggression than the bean
Ryan gets trainers to smash his head in before games just for kicks

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
How can you say Miller would do better in the ruck than Ryan ? What do you base that on ?
As a few others have said, Sampson’s VFL ruck work is just average. That’s why he’s been going forward a fair bit more. Much better up front. Not that he can’t ruck, just that Miller does it better. AFL level proven. Sampson is not. Plus, Miller covers the ground better. Quicker. Better athletically.

If Sampson was the better ruck, don’t you think Hooch would have already made him back up ruck to Nank by now ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As a few others have said, Sampson’s VFL ruck work is just average. That’s why he’s been going forward a fair bit more. Much better up front. Not that he can’t ruck, just that Miller does it better. AFL level proven. Sampson is not. Plus, Miller covers the ground better. Quicker. Better athletically.

If Sampson was the better ruck, don’t you think Hooch would have already made him back up ruck to Nank by now ?

Just so we're aligned and hopefully @caesar backs me up, but Samson regularly beats Nank and Miller during our match sims at ruck contests, mostly at bounces/throw ups. Only Ivan is competitive at throw ups against Ryan.

Miller has been noticeably better at around the ground contests and better in forward defensive pressure. I think (believe) Miller gives the selectors more options especially whilst Tarrant is unavailable.

Reactions: 3 users

In an ideal world I feel Ryan & Miller could share those 2nd ruck duties with Miller playing back & Ryan playing forward.

Reactions: 2 users
In an ideal world I feel Ryan & Miller could share those 2nd ruck duties with Miller playing back & Ryan playing forward.
Pretty hard to co-ordinate the backline structure and set ups/match ups switching between there and the ruck ToO. Backlines like stability.

Reactions: 3 users
Just so we're aligned and hopefully @caesar backs me up, but Samson regularly beats Nank and Miller during our match sims at ruck contests, mostly at bounces/throw ups. Only Ivan is competitive at throw ups against Ryan.

Miller has been noticeably better at around the ground contests and better in forward defensive pressure. I think (believe) Miller gives the selectors more options especially whilst Tarrant is unavailable.
But Miller played second ruck/roll forward last year even when Tarrant played ?

Are you also saying that Hooch Hardwick has it wrong ? Should be Sampson playing instead of Miller ?

I say play the boy , I’m told he went well before been rested last week .

Just on Mansell , might be a role for him on Rankine or Rachelle

I say play the boy , I’m told he went well before been rested last week .

Just on Mansell , might be a role for him on Rankine or Rachelle
So we’re gonna move Mansell into a totally opposite role this week v last week ? From small forward to small back ? Heh heh heh. That crazy Hooch.

I thought they were really going to crank up Sampson's ruck work in the pre-season and in the VFL this season. So far by circumstance or design he has been set forward.
I think Samson has surprised on the upside forward over the summer so maybe they want to prioritise that as it is a harder position to learn?
Any tall doufus can ruck to some degree once they grow into their body IMO but very few can ruck and become an effective forward.
I agree with @HKTigerB that when Samson was given some limited rucking opportunities over the summer he acquitted himself well.
He also has shown signs of being that outlet mark player when he has led up to the wing and taking some strong marks.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I thought they were really going to crank up Sampson's ruck work in the pre-season and in the VFL this season. So far by circumstance or design he has been set forward.
I think Samson has surprised on the upside forward over the summer so maybe they want to prioritise that as it is a harder position to learn?
Any tall doufus can ruck to some degree once they grow into their body IMO but very few can ruck and become an effective forward.
I agree with @HKTigerB that when Samson was given some limited rucking opportunities over the summer he acquitted himself well.
He also has shown signs of being that outlet mark player when he has led up to the wing and taking some strong marks.
Should Hardwick be playing Sampson ahead of Miller then where second ruck/roll forward is concerned ?

Ryan is 206cm and is still growing into his body. Miller has done a good job as a back up ruckman but if Ryan isn’t better than him now and going forward then I would be very surprised.

Pretty hard to co-ordinate the backline structure and set ups/match ups switching between there and the ruck ToO. Backlines like stability.
Ive always agreed with that, but from watching on TV last week, it looked like that is what Miller did?
It appeared Miller played the 7th defender role off the bench, and the 2nd ruck role?
And it appeared to work ok, and allowed us to play a quicker forward line which did a great job at pressuring the Carlton backs?

Ive always agreed with that, but from watching on TV last week, it looked like that is what Miller did?
It appeared Miller played the 7th defender role off the bench, and the 2nd ruck role?
And it appeared to work ok, and allowed us to play a quicker forward line which did a great job at pressuring the Carlton backs?
He certainly went back in the last quarter when Hooch pulled the pin on Balta v McKay. Prior to that it looked like he was playing second ruck off the bench, drifting forward.

Seems we have Miller going all over the place at present.

Reactions: 2 users
S
So we’re gonna move Mansell into a totally opposite role this week v last week ? From small forward to small back ? Heh heh heh. That crazy Hooch.
Juat another defensive role old fella , personally I’d rather have him in the VFL , however I don’t see that happening