Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Well I dunno if he is or not, but having legendary curser and picker of all things wrong Nobet Pays spruiking him certainly doesn’t help. Poor bugger is up against it for that alone.
I like that lad and he has potential but the hype is unreal. Too much for him.

Still think he needs to work on his forward craft. He has some nice skills below the knees and has kicked a few opportunistic goals snapping some ground balls.

I dont see him leading out very often and mostly see him waving to kick it on top of his defenders head to reach over the top and mark.

I dont think he will get those opportunities often in the seniors
Very true. Let'see some pack busters and hit ups before we get too carried away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I like that lad and he has potential but the hype is unreal. Too much for him.

Very true. Let'ssee some pack busters and hit ups before we get too carried away.
Too late. The Peter North group has already created a premature mess all over PRE.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
He's played one game at snr level. One.
He had zero possessions in that game nearly 2 years ago.

Samson showed great form preseason. He's 22 years old.
Is he a senior player or a myth?
He's got good cover in Nank & Lynch.
Let's see what he's got..

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
He's played one game at snr level. One.
He had zero possessions in that game nearly 2 years ago.

Samson showed great form preseason. He's 22 years old.
Is he a senior player or a myth?
He's got good cover in Nank & Lynch.
Let's see what he's got..
The Steel Curtain. That’s your real watch this year ToO.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The Steel Curtain. That’s your real watch this year ToO.
Not entirely sure what that means Redders but if it means we need to make the transition before players fall off the perch & expose a raw underbelly then I'm all for it.

Quality vets Tarrant & Riewoldt, still have a role to play but they need to start being seen as the back up options as we transition to a new generation.
We know by now what these older guys will bring but they're not getting better. Younger players won't either without opportunity at AFL level.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Not entirely sure what that means Redders but if it means we need to make the transition before players fall off the perch & expose a raw underbelly then I'm all for it.

Quality vets Tarrant & Riewoldt, still have a role to play but they need to start being seen as the back up options as we transition to a new generation.
We know by now what these older guys will bring but they're not getting better. Younger players won't either without opportunity at AFL level.
Steely Green.

I gave you MJ last year ToOba and this year I’m giving you the Steel Curtain.

Unlike the Peter North crew that are pumping up Sampson, (who worryingly for the poor bugger are made up of serial wrong callers), I won’t let you down. You can trust me.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Steely Green.

I gave you MJ last year and this year I’m giving you the Steel Curtain.

Unlike the Peter North crew that are pumping up Sampson, (who worryingly are made up of serial wrong callers), I won’t let you down. You can trust me.
Word is they love him at the club. Nank nominated him as the one to watch at the recent Captains day.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
We've seen enough of Ryan at VFA level to know that he just can't get a ruck contest there. Nothing to learn.

The tall backs at VFA level are 5'10'' and not much chop.

Ryan is no longer a ruck prospect at RFC. We're rebreaking him as a tall forward and fair enough. All he has to do to get a call up is repeatedly destroy VFA dwarves. And I think he can do that. But he hasn't done it yet.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Steely Green.

I gave you MJ last year ToOba and this year I’m giving you the Steel Curtain.

Unlike the Peter North crew that are pumping up Sampson, (who worryingly for the poor bugger are made up of serial wrong callers), I won’t let you down. You can trust me.
I take it I am in that group as I am a big advocate of Ryan. Difference is I don’t get many wrong.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Only way Ryan continues to improve and improve quickly is to play senior games at the highest level
playing at a lower level tends to drag you to that level and inhibit improvement

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I take it I am in that group as I am a big advocate of Ryan. Difference is I don’t get many wrong.
You’ve got a strange situation going at the moment Aces. On one hand you’ve got moderate expectations for a 23 yo Premiership player with 63 games under his belt, but big expectations of someone who’s played just 1 game.

Interesting.

Last edited: